Bridges and Real Estate

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
doo_much

Bridges and Real Estate

Post by doo_much »

rustypup wrote:
Hman wrote:I think we need a new thread
i was pondering that very thing this morning...
Indeed it seems we does.

Although some of the stuff we lol about might turn out to be viable?

Anywhooo.

I'll kick off:
A Fil­ipino inven­tor has found a way to con­vert plas­tic trash into fuel – Gaso­line, Diesel and Kerosene. Though not a very new inven­tion, Jayme Navarro has found his own way of turn­ing plas­tic into fuel, through a process called “Pyrol­y­sis”. This patented sys­tem has been proven to con­vert non-biodegradable and non-recyclable plas­tics into fuel. If imple­mented in a large-scale this sys­tem could lit­er­ally turn hill sized land fills in the Philip­pines into a gold­mine – “fuelmine”.
Source

Now I don't know much chemistry, but this seems to good to be true?

And no, this is not the same Filipino who claimed to have invented a water-fuelled car.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Bridges and Real Estate

Post by Anakha56 »

Whats with the odd thread title? :scratch:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Never heard of people selling bridges and real estate in marshlands?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

doo_much wrote: Indeed it seems we does.
Yes, indeed we does :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

doo_much wrote:Never heard of people selling bridges and real estate in marshlands?
Nope. But I get the idea for the thread, still a little vague though.

I am no chemist but isn't plastic made from oil/petroleum? So if you melt it down and can make a engine run on it with its extra additives that would be a win. Just dont see it as being plausible... :?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

We need input from Cap I think. He works for SASOL and should have a valid opinion?

And as for the title - read here and here.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Well, technically it's all just carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. I'm not so sure though how you get them in the right compositions- you might as well end up with sugar :P
And what about fuel quality?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

SykomantiS wrote:Well, technically it's all just carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. I'm not so sure though how you get them in the right compositions- you might as well end up with sugar :P
And what about fuel quality?
According to the article they just boil/cook the mush and then condense the fumes?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i'm still not sold on the commercial viability... it would require a fair amount of power...

unless they're feeding some of the recovered fuel back into the system?

and pyroly­sis is how charcoal is produced... the use of the word hints at woo...

<edit>or not much energy at all
The actual energy consumption for cracking and vaporizing PE into fuels is 1.328 MJ/kg which is less than 3% of the calorific value of the pyrolysis products
- so, very possible...
Last edited by rustypup on 31 Jul 2012, 09:20, edited 2 times in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Hmmm - well spotted Rusty.

"pyrolysis: chemically decomposing organic materials by heat in the absence of oxygen"
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote: And as for the title - read here and here.
As long as it makes sense to you.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Thanks.

So rusty - you think it's feasible? So not a 'bridge' then?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey