LRP being phased out and petrol price

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

LRP being phased out and petrol price

Post by StarBound »

Guys a few sites have started phasing out LRP. So just a heads up you might want to keep an eye out if your mechanical steed still needs lead in his system that only a few places will be selling it come this month to end of next month. Supply for LRP is also abysmal. SA was suppose to have a 90 day fuel reserve. At current we have about 30 days.

The price of coastal petrol will be increasing with 66c making the fuel price R11.59. Diesel should cost around R11.62 however as it is not government regulated you could get it for as low as R10.70... if you can call that low.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: LRP being phased out and petrol price

Post by Hman »

StarBound wrote:Guys a few sites have started phasing out LRP......
FFFFUUUUUU!

Guess I'll have to start using additives, refitting the cylinder head on the car with steel valve seats is expensive.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Not that the phasing out of LRP affects me but I am just wondering as to why they are phasing it out. Its not doing the companies any harm is it?

And FFFFFUUUU at the fuel price!!!!!
Hman

Post by Hman »

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

As you know leaded petrol was discontinued a few years back. Lead replacement was just introduced to mop up the last cars that still needed leaded fuel giving a good few years to replace those older cars. I might be wrong here but I think LRP sales has dropped to under 20%, diesel is now 30% with unleaded being 50% nationwide.

As for the excessive increase, 28c is government but I don't know what the rest consist of. The Rand hasn't suffered against the dollar so my thoughts are its from poor planning that the government didn't keep the 90 day stock levels.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

73 cents increase here in GP. Do they realise how expensive my trips to Mooinooi are going to be? I shall have to review my per km charge to the client - not going to be worth it otherwise. Guess I could end up losing the work because of this. Ah well.... life I guess.

Could they be doing this as "punishment" for us complaining about the tolls?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Tribble wrote:Could they be doing this as "punishment" for us complaining about the tolls?
This is exactly what my thoughts are as well. :evil:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

No they are doing this despite the tolls. They are money hungry, thieves that needs to be taken out back and shot for the blatant injustice of it all. Oh and expect another serious rise as our lovely government has deemed it worthwhile to throw their lot in with Obama and stop buying fuel from some or other country the US is scared of. So now our supply is limited and it costs more to import. I can see another +-80c increase coming up.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

But now many really cannot afford to pay tolls too. Or buy food. As petrol increases so does everything else. So we will end up paying there too. In less than a month hot chocolate went from around R70 to R90 and that was without this fuel hike or the toll fees. Now one product one can handle - but it is going to be all of them. From bread to meat and electronics. It is really not much cheaper being a vegetarian any more. Our veggie burgers now cost between R26 and R32 a box (for 4).
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Tribble: Like I said they are a bunch of thieves. All they can think of is to line their pockets. They don't consider that should the economy fail, which they are currently causing in any case, then their money they are so diligently stealing from us will also be worth nothing. And they won't be able to buy anything with what little they will have as there won't be anything in shops to buy.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

StarBound wrote:As for the excessive increase, 28c is government but I don't know what the rest consist of. The Rand hasn't suffered against the dollar so my thoughts are its from poor planning that the government didn't keep the 90 day stock levels.
You're forgetting about US/Iran tensions. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Man we are () :facepalm:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

The US/Iran tension increase is still to come iWonWon2000... Will probably hit us in about 2 weeks time.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
senile

Post by senile »

So I had a hard time finding LRP yesterday... What's the alternative to LRP for my golden oldie? Mix a bit of diesel with unleaded or what?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

This might be of some help? I would rather ask a qualified mechanic though.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Man this sucks
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:No they are doing this despite the tolls. They are money hungry, thieves that needs to be taken out back and shot for the blatant injustice of it all. Oh and expect another serious rise as our lovely government has deemed it worthwhile to throw their lot in with Obama and stop buying fuel from some or other country the US is scared of. So now our supply is limited and it costs more to import. I can see another +-80c increase coming up.
+1. There is no good reason for it other than to extort more money off us to fund their lifestyles :x :x

the only crumb of comfort I have is that A) I dont have go near any of the e-toll roads to get to varsity and B) my car only uses unleaded anyway
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Botswana (and probably some of our other neighbours) get their petrol from us, right?
So how come it's up to R3 per litre cheaper there :?:
Hman

Post by Hman »

SykomantiS wrote:....So how come it's up to R3 per litre cheaper there :?:
Really, look's like I'll be moving soon.

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Hman wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:....So how come it's up to R3 per litre cheaper there :?:
Really, look's like I'll be moving soon.
+1
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Wel, yes. My Uncle recently relocated to Botswana. He has a Merc Benz G-wagon with a Lexus V8, so he's made us acutely aware of the fact.
ADT

Post by ADT »

SykomantiS wrote:Botswana (and probably some of our other neighbours) get their petrol from us, right?
So how come it's up to R3 per litre cheaper there :?:

well just a reminder, our fuel prices isn't that much cheaper than you guys, and and I'm staying in a coastal/ port city
Spoiler (show)
ADT

Post by ADT »

Here's some humor to lighten up the situation

One third of SA motorists fill up with wrong fuel :lol:
BP has embarked on a awareness campaign aimed at educating motorists about fuel, following an industry report which indicated that an alarming number of motorists are filling up with the wrong fuel, particularly when it comes to Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP), commonly known as Super.
:facepalm:

http://tinyurl.com/bqa8qk5
Spoiler (show)
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Mail & Guradian wrote:The department of energy has stressed the recent drastic increase in fuel prices is out of the government's hands and has urged South Africans to be more fuel efficient.

At a press briefing in Pretoria on Tuesday, Minister of Energy Dipuo Peters explained the factors that have contributed to an increase of 73c per litre, which comes into effect at midnight on Tuesday.

Peters acknowledged that increases were impacting negatively on all South Africans. "While the department is committed to fulfilling its mandate of ensuring that energy is accessible to consumers at the lowest possible costs, it is not within the powers of government to dictate market fuel prices," Peters said.

"Rather, fuel prices are set in line with global market issues such as geopolitics, currency strengths, and speculator activity. South Africa is a price taker."

Peters said there were several factors working against the global oil price:
  • A stronger global economy has pushed risk markets, including commodities like oil, higher;
    The introduction of the Iranian oil sanctions and the risk of an Israeli attack on Iran's nuclear facility;
    Increasing attacks on oil infrastructure in Iraq after the withdrawal of US troops;
    The Japanese oil use for power generation has been increasing significantly since the March 2011 earthquake and the subsequent shutdown of their nuclear reactors; and
    The closures of refineries in the US east coast, the largest regional petrol market in the US, has led to increased reliance on imports from Europe, thus impacting on the Mediterranean prices that contribute 50% to the basic fuel price.
But locally, several other costs have pushed the petrol price upwards.

Minister of Finance Pravin Gordhan, in his budget speech in February, announced the fuel levy and the road accident fund levy on petrol and diesel will increase by 20c per litre and 8c per litre, respectively, with effect from April 4.

Revised pipeline and road transport tariffs are also implemented into the price structures of petrol, diesel and illuminating paraffin with effect from April 4. The pipeline transport tariffs are set by the National Energy Regulator of South Africa and the road transport tariffs were set in line with the vehicle costs schedule of the Road Freight Association.

On the upside, the average Rand/Dollar exchange rate strengthened when compared to the previous period and decreased the contribution to the basic fuels price on petrol, diesel and illuminating paraffin by at least 5c per litre.
-snip-
Source
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Oooh so they charge us 73c/l and then expect us to fall for that drivel. Stop sending the RAF more funds. Stop all fuel levies since they aren't used for what they are meant to be used for. They are privatizing the roads and for that we are paying double. So we pay taxes because it has always been there, be it better managed in the past though, and we pay road agencies for the use of "their" roads. This is just getting ridiculous.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932