Good bye Free Speech?

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
jee

Good bye Free Speech?

Post by jee »

Ever since humans first invented guns, they've been inventing new uses for them. Some shoot bullets; others shoot lasers. But a strange and unsettling new gun being developed by Japanese researchers shoots sound waves in an effort to disrupt and silence anyone who dares speak out of turn.

The gun operates based on the concept of delayed auditory feedback. An attached microphone picks up the sound being made by the target and plays it back 0.2 seconds later. The effect is incredibly confusing to the human brain, making it all but impossible to talk or hold a conversation. The device doesn't cause the person it's being used on any physical harm — it simply messes with their head.

When the human brain hears its own speech perfectly in sync during normal speech, it easily processes the input and allows you to largely ignore the sound of your own voice. However, by offsetting the response just a bit, the brain hears your mouth speaking as well as the strange echo effect produced by the gun. This unusual combination is confusing enough to effectively shut down the part of your brain responsible for managing speech, and you fall immediately silent.

The first versions of the weapon — if we can even call it that — were dependent on a separate PC to process the input and relay it back to the speaker. However, the second prototype (pictured above) does away with the need for additional hardware and includes all the necessary processing bits within its casing, making it easily portable.

The developers say the gun could be used for seemingly innocuous purposes, such as enforcing rules requiring library patrons to keep quiet. It could also see action during large meetings when it is important that onlookers not disrupt the speaker; anyone who fancies a noisy outburst would immediatley be silenced by the high-tech handheld.

The free speech implications of the speech jammer are somewhat disconcerting: A protestor or speaker at a political rally could be easily silenced just for having unpopular views. Political rallies and other protest gatherings could easily be quieted by the strange gun, should law enforcement or other agencies decide to equip themselves with the technology.
Although, this might be handy in some of the meetings i sit in....

speech jammer
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: Good bye Free Speech?

Post by Hman »

I feel the need to use this on Juju.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

:lol: that would be brilliant Hman

jee I think we are a bit late for free speech any way
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Free - is an illusion
jee

Post by jee »

You know, free speech is something that I will fight for till the blood flows... that and the right to privacy
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Good idea jee but if you look at the Goverment it might be a bit late RICA and Secrecy act comes to mind
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

So, hearing your own voice out of sync causes an involuntary spasm that shuts you up? :?
I find this a wee bit hard to believe. :|
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I experience that on the phone sometimes and it is not impossible to continue talking - it is distracting though and not pleasant
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

@Tribble: The feedback you get on your cell is not the same. The time delay is too big. AFAIK it has to be a fraction of a second
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

There is a device that fits in your ear that also replays your own voice back to you. This help people with a stammer to speak normally. Now, what if you tune that thing to play it back to you at a 0.2 second delay? We could implant it into Malema's brain and keep him permanently quiet. :twisted:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

:lol: good planning Kal
ACiD_Omega

Post by ACiD_Omega »

SykomantiS wrote:So, hearing your own voice out of sync causes an involuntary spasm that shuts you up? :?
agreed, we often have delayed feedback on our crappy local telephony networks, it's confusing for about half a second and then you choose to ignore it.
Confront a child, a puppy, and a kitten with a sudden danger; the child will turn instinctively for assistance, the puppy will grovel in abject submission, the kitten will brace its tiny body for a frantic resistance.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

SykomantiS wrote:So, hearing your own voice out of sync causes an involuntary spasm that shuts you up? :?
From personal experience -- it works.

If you use Teamspeak for whatever reason, try using the "test my microphone" function. It loops back through your headclamps the microphone input after a short delay (I think between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds or so, not sure on how long). In my case, it quickly reduces me to a blabbering, incoherent mess, which in turn causes me to shut up. :P

It's also an issue for me when my voice gets looped back via other people's speakers and microphone.

That being said, while it's true in my case, other people's mileage may vary.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Our brains are weirder than you might think. The stammer remedy is one thing. Another is that damage to a certain part of the brain causes you to lose the ability to recognise faces. Your vision is still perfectly fine and your mental capacity otherwise is unaffected, but you are unable to asign a collection of facial features to a person. There are many other examples. This isn't weird enough to be dismissed out of hand. ;)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I want one.
senile

Post by senile »

KALSTER wrote:Another is that damage to a certain part of the brain causes you to lose the ability to recognise faces. Your vision is still perfectly fine and your mental capacity otherwise is unaffected, but you are unable to asign a collection of facial features to a person.
Is this caused by physical injuries like concussion?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Unfortunately this delayed feedback effect does not work on a forum....
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

senile wrote:
KALSTER wrote:Another is that damage to a certain part of the brain causes you to lose the ability to recognise faces. Your vision is still perfectly fine and your mental capacity otherwise is unaffected, but you are unable to asign a collection of facial features to a person.
Is this caused by physical injuries like concussion?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

As far as I remember it was brain damage to a certain region that did it, but this link says it can be inherited as well. I wouldn't think that simply concussion would be able to do it though, but I could be wrong.
senile

Post by senile »

KALSTER wrote:
senile wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

As far as I remember it was brain damage to a certain region that did it, but this link says it can be inherited as well. I wouldn't think that simply concussion would be able to do it though, but I could be wrong.
I think I have this... Prosopagnosia. I need to see my psychiatrist again to sort this out.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Really? Since birth or as a result of an accident?
senile

Post by senile »

KALSTER wrote:Really? Since birth or as a result of an accident?
Let's call it a mental accident :D