Alcohol ban plan for moms-to-be

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Alcohol ban plan for moms-to-be

Post by Stuart »

Times Live wrote:Bars and restaurants will not be allowed to sell alcohol to drunks or pregnant women if the Gauteng Liquor Bill is enacted.

The bill, which was released yesterday, also prohibits the sale of alcohol to minors, and pupils in uniform.

This means bars and restaurants would be in breach of the law if they served alcohol to a drunken customer.

Grant van Zyl owner of the Tanz Cafe, in Fourways, Johannesburg, said not selling to drunks was tough to put into practice. The nightclub "doesn't sell alcohol to people who are abusive and disorderly, but it is hard to know when to draw the line".

"Many people who are drunk appear perfectly normal. All they have to do is walk up to the counter and say 'Castle'."

Loco Liq Alcohol Warehouses manager Belinda Meneses said the franchised stores did not sell alcohol to people who were drunk. "It's bad for business to have drunken people around."

"The bill is trying raise awareness that bartenders should not serve intoxicated people," said Adrian Botha, spokesman for the Industry Association for Responsible Alcohol Use.

He said the association, an NGO funded by the alcohol industry, believed that not serving alcohol to a drunk was a good idea.

Botha said the association supported the social aspects of the bill, including not selling alcohol to pregnant women, but it would be hard to put into practice.

"From a practical perspective, a pregnant woman does not show for three of four months. One can't ask a women who is a little plump, 'Are you pregnant?'

"It is a bit unfair to a mom-to-be who is buying a bottle of wine for a relative or friend," added Botha.

"Not selling alcohol to pregnant women is a bit difficult for bottle stores to follow. If they buy alcohol it doesn't mean they drink it," said Meneses.

The DA's Gavin Lewis criticised the bill's clauses on pregnant women, saying: "The draft of the bill had the best of intentions but was framed too broadly.

"People who draft these laws draft them as widely as possible and then civil society, lawyers and political organisations have to tidy the bills up.

"You can't take rights away from women."

The prohibition on pregnant women buying alcohol will be in conflict with other gender laws and the constitution.

"We have created a whole new class of criminals," said Lewis.

The bill requires an outlet applying for a liquor licence to submit its BEE status.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Alcohol ban plan for moms-to-be

Post by Stuart »

Stuart wrote:The bill, which was released yesterday, also prohibits the sale of alcohol to minors, and pupils in uniform.
I don't drink alcohol and so I may just be a complete ignoramus here, but I thought that, technically speaking, the law already prohibits minors from purchasing alcohol. :?:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

2 things:

- Define 'drunk' and

WTF?
The bill requires an outlet applying for a liquor licence to submit its BEE status.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Ah, South Africa...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote: WTF?
This surprises you?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Yes.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Errr... :|

Yes, the law already prohibits selling to minors.
As for the rest. :scratch:
Noble intentions and all, but good luck implementing it.
I can see why they drafted the bill, but I'm not so sure wrt womens rights of buying alcohol.

This is all twisted and deur mekaar. One can really easily argue both sides of the coin.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Stuart wrote:
Stuart wrote:The bill, which was released yesterday, also prohibits the sale of alcohol to minors, and pupils in uniform.
I don't drink alcohol and so I may just be a complete ignoramus here, but I thought that, technically speaking, the law already prohibits minors from purchasing alcohol. :?:

Stating the obvious
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ADT

Post by ADT »

doo_much wrote:2 things:

- Define 'drunk' and

WTF?

:lol:

like jamin said, only in SA
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:Yes.
This comes from the same government who has been trying for years to force players of colour into our national sports teams, regardless of their abilities or lack thereof. The government has been pushing the whole BEE thing for ages now. Why does it surprise you that they will stop granting privileges to companies who don't comply with their agenda. Sounds like par for the course to me.
SykomantiS wrote:Noble intentions and all, but good luck implementing it.
Yes, well, South Africa is not exactly famed worldwide for its ability to implement its legislation.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Good think this is intended for Gauteng.

Imagine all those pregnant, 16 year old girls in the Western Cape not being able to get another 'papsak' once they're drunk.

Shame.

//and if you think that was a racist remark - bite me.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

They make a good point about trying to discern whether or not some women are pregnant. Have you ever happened to ask a non-pregnant woman how far she is? Trust me, do it once and you will never ask again.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:They make a good point about trying to discern whether or not some women are pregnant. Have you ever happened to ask a non-pregnant woman how far she is? Trust me, do it once and you will never ask again.

:lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
ADT

Post by ADT »

doo_much wrote:
Imagine all those pregnant, 16 year old girls in the Western Cape not being able to get another 'papsak' once they're drunk.

Shame.

haha :lol: I LOL'd
Spoiler (show)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Bill is easy to circumvent...

Just get your sober, designated driver to buy all your booze.

@Stu a guy at our work congratulated the one lady and asked her how far along she was, needless to say he still gets glaared a year later... :lol:

Stupid bill is stupid...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Define "drunk" or intoxicated.

So what does the bars have to do now? A breathalyser test for every person walking into his bar before they can even buy a beer? LOL!

There is no use in implementing these ridiculous laws, but no way of policing it.
Oh wait, this is South Africa.

Law enforcers pray on the easy targets. So instead of catching rapists and murderers, they will hang around pubs. :roll:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

IcePick88 wrote:... they will hang around pubs. :roll:
I'll keep them company... :whistling:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Watch Alcohol sales go down.. You are by law intoxicated after like 2 drinks.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

9 months without alcohol... :run4hills:

and Doo thought one month without is tough....
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Watch Alcohol sales go down.. You are by law intoxicated after like 2 drinks.
Road Traffic Act?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

^^ That is where the only definition of alcohol intoxication is as far as I know.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Using that might create legal difficulties.

In very basic terms it'd mean that they'd have to charge you with an offence ito the RTA. Won't happen.

Anyway. this piqued my interest so I went and read up. The Bill doesn't say 'drunk', it refers to " a person who reasonably appears to be intoxicated;". So, if you can 'hold your alcohol' you should be OK for a few more. ;)

*EDIT

Source

Do a word search for BEE and move to Aus. Jamin - you got a security guard job for me?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

More money wasted on legislation when it should have been spent on awareness. Then again being aware doesn't mean people will do it. We need mind control chips implanted into people. Only problem is the MC chip is worth more than the average south african.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Anakha56 wrote:Stupid bill is stupid...
Agreed. Like most laws...What I do in my backyard has nothing to do with anyone, if I don't do damage to them. If I want to smoke some weed, trip on lsd or chase the dragon, its my decision.

Maybe they need to start doing blood tests before they sell you some booze.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I'm still trying to figure out what their aim is with this????

Are they trying to prevent alcohol fuelled fights/deaths/crimes? Are they really concerned for the patrons welfare?
And any pregnant women drinking should have her head examined and should not be allowed to procreate in the first place anyway.

This looks more and more like a cloak and dagger approach to get more businesses to comply with BEE than trying to curb alcohol abuse.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX