Extra public holiday in 2012 to make up for Sunday Xmas

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Jonboy

Extra public holiday in 2012 to make up for Sunday Xmas

Post by Jonboy »

News24 wrote:Johannesburg - President Jacob Zuma has been asked to grant working South Africans an extra public holiday next year because Christmas falls on a Sunday.

"It came to our attention that during 2011, working South Africans will only enjoy 11 out of the 12 paid public holidays," said Federation of Unions of SA (Fedusa) general secretary Dennis George on Monday.

The organisation said with Christmas being on a Sunday, according to the Public Holiday Act, the Monday would have to be a holiday.

"However, Monday, December 26 2011 is the Day of Goodwill, meaning that it falls outside the ambit of the Public Holidays Act..."

It said it hoped the president would grant an extra public holiday next year, to make up for the one lost in 2011.

Fedusa sent the letter on November 18 and was told to expect a response after the COP 17 climate change conference, which concluded on Sunday.

- SAPA
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... y-20111212

I love Dennis George
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Extra public holiday in 2012 to make up for Sunday Xmas

Post by StarBound »

Well 24/7 shops/stores/restorants will be paying the double rate instead of the sunday rate this year. That is what it is all about in the end. I'd love to see a forced closure for a full day so it can be a proper holiday where everyone goes home and takes a day off.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Just what we need, more days for people not to do work.

Honestly, if the people at pick n pay worked any slower, it will be 2012! :|

It's not like you didn't get extra time off last year for the soccer or during all the illegal strikes. :|
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Oh come one! So once in--what, every seven or eight years?--you lose one public holiday because Christmas falls on a Sunday? I suppose companies who close over the Christmas season should be forced to give their employers extra public holidays too because they "miss out" on the holidays?

Forget the lost holiday. Move on with your life.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I cannot recall, but was this "issue" raised last year as well?

Seeing that Christmas day fell on a Saturday and Boxing day fell on a Sunday, therefore the Monday only was also a public holiday? This whole thing is stupid.

The gripe I have is with all the non-Christians and other religions also getting Christmas day off if it falls on a weekday.

I don't have off when it's some other religious holiday for other religions, so why can't everyone else except Christians work on that day? It's has no significance to them.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

But you see, Christmas has been commercialized and has lost all meaning to most of the world. Lots of people see it as just another holiday instead of what it's actually supposed to stand for.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

We get Monday and Tuesday off :P
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

IcePick88 wrote:The gripe I have is with all the non-Christians and other religions also getting Christmas day off ...
You are indeed a wise man. Why bother with just the usual labour though? Why not just ship them off to concentration camps for the christmas week? Hell, why even feed them? Let these non-christians suffer and starve. That's the christian way!
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:I suppose companies who close over the Christmas season should be forced to give their employers extra public holidays too because they "miss out" on the holidays?
Actually the way it works is that those days do not count as leave days. So for the month of December I only need 10 working days leave to make up for the normal days. All the public holidays are counted and paid for as that a public holiday. A company who does not do this is liable in court, the labour act protects against abuse like this ;).
IcePick88 wrote:I cannot recall, but was this "issue" raised last year as well?

Seeing that Christmas day fell on a Saturday and Boxing day fell on a Sunday, therefore the Monday only was also a public holiday? This whole thing is stupid.

The gripe I have is with all the non-Christians and other religions also getting Christmas day off if it falls on a weekday.

I don't have off when it's some other religious holiday for other religions, so why can't everyone else except Christians work on that day? It's has no significance to them.
Cry me a river... You wanted to be the most popular religion in the west and east, now it works against you you are going to get all hot under the collar? :roll: Seriously this is your Religion's fault, if you did not force yourselves down everyones throat and go and try and convert the masses then this would be a non-issue. Also just as a tad little history lesson, this holiday is not Christians alone it is celebrated by Catholics as well and Pagan's must not forget them. And finally this holiday was not yours to begin with, you lot just converted it to suit your end game of grabbing more followers. Face it everyone celebrates because you guys are winning the popularity contest, you should be proud...

I for one support this move, why? As said above I get more actual leave to my name and dont have to wonder about if I will have enough at the end of year...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Anakha56 wrote:Also just as a tad little history lesson, this holiday is not Christians alone...
Actually, very VERY little of christmas is christian. It is for all intents and purposes a pagan holiday. The trees, the gifts, the mistletoe, santa claus, the specific date, the entire idea behind it is all pagan. As a matter of fact, Jesus was not even born close to December.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Exactly, so why is the Christian side even getting all hot and bothered about it? In fact they are celebrating my holiday, so get off my lawn you crazy kids! :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Given the geographics of the area Jesus was born during a summer night was it not? That puts it around June/July. Also remember when they switched to the Jupiter calender (think that is this one) new year was changed from April to January, hench april fools day.

But getting back to the extra holidays, salary workers gets a 13th cheque. Wage workers gets 2 weeks bonus a year and then double pay every day that is a holiday which is 12 or so to make up for not having the extra 4 weeks salary workers get. That is why it is a big deal. Not because people need time to get off but because government has to cover minimum wage.

But as said in other thread, if I had my way I'd force closure for the days. Make people rest and relax or spend time with family. But then again I am above the bread line so don't know how bad things are and because of certain cercumstances I've given up on trying to understand.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Back on topic:

Employers are not losing a day. Build a bridge and get over it already.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

GreyWolf you are correct they are not losing a day. They are losing a week since no one I know of is actually going to accomplish anything in that week.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

lol
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:GreyWolf you are correct they are not losing a day. They are losing a week since no one I know of is actually going to accomplish anything in that week.
Absolute rubbish, just like this headline on News24: "Unplanned public holiday to cost R7bn". There would have been 12 holidays anyway, the public is not getting anything extra compared to previous years. Besides, what sector of SA is productive over that week anyway? Most people have the whole week off.