Juno Looks Back, Photographs Earth-Moon System

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://news.discovery.com/space/juno-lo ... 10830.html

Looking back as it zooms through interplanetary space, less than a month into its 445-million mile, five-year journey to the gas giant Jupiter, NASA's spacecraft Juno captured a portrait of the Earth and moon.

It might not look like much, but that larger white dot is the Earth and the smaller dot to the right is the moon. Juno was 6 million miles away at the time.

"This is a remarkable sight people get to see all too rarely," said Scott Bolton, Juno principal investigator from the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio. "This view of our planet shows how Earth looks from the outside, illustrating a special perspective of our role and place in the universe. We see a humbling yet beautiful view of ourselves."

It's hard not to be reminded of Carl Sagan's poignant "Pale Blue Dot" quote after the Voyager 1 probe skewed around in 1990 to see the dot of our planet, swamped in the depths of the Cosmos.

It's when I see photos like this, everything instantly snaps into perspective. To paraphrase Sagan, everything we've ever known and loved exists on that small dot. Everything.
Wow...

If you follow the link for the "Pale blue dot" one that is even more impressive.

/I feel very small of a sudden...

//Ron must be feeling smaller still :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Juno Looks Back, Photographs Earth-Moon System

Post by Ron2K »

I posted the image in Pic of the Day this morning. ;)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Juno Looks Back, Photographs Earth-Moon System

Post by Anakha56 »

Oh...

Well hey I still feel that it needs its own thread :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.