A Scary thought...

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

A Scary thought...

Post by Prime »

Mind bullets postulates future scenarios as tomorrows news.

Their latest one is about the riots and quite apt given the local nonsense going on in town...

http://www.mindbullets.net/Subscription ... lletID=545
TWITTER FACES SANCTIONS AT UN
Britain and China team up to block social media to curb riots
Dateline: 20 April 2012

Regent Street in London, once one of the most lucrative retail centers in the world, has been burning for two months. Apple's flagship store is a burned shell, its luxury products looted in the first days of the mayhem which has swept a once great city.
No-one knows why - although there are plenty of theories - but British society has collapsed. A toxic mix of four years of economic decline, massive cuts in social welfare, high unemployment, pervasive communications technology and a massively reduced legal and political structure all seem to have undermined he state.
And while the British may not know why, they do know what to blame: social media.
"Unless we are able to halt the ability of rioters to coordinate we will not be able to bring this chaos under control," says Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant, Britain's representative on the UN Security Council.
"The West is learning that Liberal free speech leads to disorder," says China's ambassador to the UN, Wang Min. "It is time that we are able to work together as global leaders to ban the mechanisms by which people are able to converse outside of government control."
In a perverse alliance, Britain - the country which invented the parliamentary democracy - has joined forces with China, which has pioneered software and mechanisms to scrutinize all social media speech at home. Their partnership has resulted in Proposition 7215 which is to go before the UN Security Council tomorrow. It is a complex proposal but its result, if passed, will be that governments can request that the UN-controlled International Telecommunications Union will have the authority to shut down social media services at government request.
The United States, fully occupied with its own social-media-organized protests in New York, has said it will not support the vote at the Security Council next week, but will abstain. With Russia, Bolivia, South Africa, France and Turkey all looking as if they will support the bill, there is some potential of it being passed.
Protestors around the world have gathered but it looks as if free speech may be on the ropes.
Published: 25 August 2011
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: A Scary thought...

Post by hamin_aus »

Why is this scary :?:
Are you afraid wont have access to twitter or FB in your country if people are using it to plan riots there?
Poor you!
Prime

Post by Prime »

The issue isn't Facebook or Twitter. the issue is how governments of the future plan to control dissent...

Face it, how many people looked at the riots in Libya, Syria etc and went, it only happens in third world countries, with despots ...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Probably not the same people who watched it happen in Greece...

IIRC America is the only country that guarantees your right to violent dissent.

I'm not agreeing with putting a gag order on social media - but I do think that, in the case of the UK riots, where it was being used as a tool to co-ordinate pointless violence and looting - it should be treated like every other medium of communication.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Ah yes more power to the puppetmasters
Oh and before you say it "just because you are paranoid does not mean the aren't out to get you"
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Oh they are - they always are