I think a baseball bat would help

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.

How to get revenge on AMD

Through physical exertion and the joy of putting that bang for your buck literally with a baseball bat
32%
Multiple head shots with a Remington 850 pump action shotgun
No votes
One single and final blow through the use of ASROC anti-submarine rocket ... power to the atom
26%
Use it to create SkyNet - it is evil, after all
11%
Send it to KillerByte to review. Watch him weep.
21%
Place it anywhere within a 5km radius of CesarePlay, and let the EMP do the rest
11%

Total votes: 19

JollyJamma

Re: I think a baseball bat would help

Post by JollyJamma »

Come to think about it I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+, via chipset and 1.5gigs of RAM that still works fine but I only put XP Pro on it and the drivers were iffy at times.

Also had a 680i chipset that sucked. Stock Nforce drivers caused it to BSOD. Now I'm using a P965 mobo and core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.8ghz and she still plays games and does what I need it to do really.

Definitely there are certain chipsets (Via) /graphics cards (6800XT)/ Sound cards/ CPUs (Celerons) to stay away from.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

JollyJamma wrote:Come to think about it I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+, via chipset and 1.5gigs of RAM that still works fine but I only put XP Pro on it and the drivers were iffy at times.

Also had a 680i chipset that sucked. Stock Nforce drivers caused it to BSOD. Now I'm using a P965 mobo and core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.8ghz and she still plays games and does what I need it to do really.

Definitely there are certain chipsets (Via) /graphics cards (6800XT)/ Sound cards/ CPUs (Celerons) to stay away from.
I had a 6800XT.....it was utter rubbish :x , slower than a stock 6600 in fact :shock: , VIA is not that bad they just made some bad choices especially when it came to their Intel chipsets *cough P4m800 cough*
jee

Post by jee »

I like those options but not for AMD... for some at work!
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

jee wrote:I like those options but not for AMD... for some at work!
Well business PC's is where most of the rubbish ends up, because nobody cares what is in them.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

THE_STIG wrote:
JollyJamma wrote:Come to think about it I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+, via chipset and 1.5gigs of RAM that still works fine but I only put XP Pro on it and the drivers were iffy at times.

I had a 6800XT.....it was utter rubbish :x , slower than a stock 6600 in fact :shock: , VIA is not that bad they just made some bad choices especially when it came to their Intel chipsets *cough P4m800 cough*
Thank goodness I have a Biostar P4M900-m4 ver 6.1 then :twisted: I still have a XFX 6800XT 256mb PCI-e card it was much much faster than a stock 6600 even a 8600GT
I like those options but not for AMD... for some at work!
...and the people...??

I actually gone and formatted the "beast" again with XP SP1 so far so good.....now I just have to switch the PC back on....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

wizardofid wrote:Thank goodness I have a Biostar P4M900-m4 ver 6.1 then :twisted: I still have a XFX 6800XT 256mb PCI-e card it was much much faster than a stock 6600 even a 8600GT.
Really are you sure.... that is not what I experienced, and not what I read :?

The p4m900 was miles better as it had PCI-express, what were VIA thinking when in 2006 they decided to put AGP 8x in a chipset that had support for DDR2 and socket 775 :shock: .
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

THE_STIG wrote:
wizardofid wrote:Thank goodness I have a Biostar P4M900-m4 ver 6.1 then :twisted: I still have a XFX 6800XT 256mb PCI-e card it was much much faster than a stock 6600 even a 8600GT.
Really are you sure.... that is not what I experienced, and not what I read :?

The p4m900 was miles better as it had PCI-express, what were VIA thinking when in 2006 they decided to put AGP 8x in a chipset that had support for DDR2 and socket 775 :shock: .
Sigh 128bit vs a 256bit bus....go to google, go direct to google do not pass google.....
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Oh so you had the 128 bit 6800XT, I had the stupid 64bit model :( .

Google, saviour of humankind :D
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

THE_STIG wrote:Oh so you had the 128 bit 6800XT, I had the stupid 64bit model :( .

Google, saviour of humankind :D
Sigh, apparently not to you, I have the XFX 6800XT DDR3 256mb 256bit....

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_6800.html
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

wrong thread...
Last edited by KatrynKat on 08 Jun 2011, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

@wiz. Oh you had the really nice one, there were a number of different variations of the 6800XT and unfortunately i had a the biostar vp6802xt26 which had the normal 128bit bus halved to 64bit so that it was cheaper, why :scratch:

Here it is anyway: as you can see I had to replace the fan

KatrynKat wrote:sigh... i have the FX 9000GTI LOL 123G 456TB...
:lol: :lol: there was no such thing, the FX5950 was the best the FX series had to offer. I wish there was a gfx card with that much memory and such a wide buss :lol:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

THE_STIG wrote:@wiz. Oh you had have the really nice one, there were a number of different variations of the 6800XT and unfortunately i had a the biostar vp6802xt26 which had the normal 128bit bus halved to 64bit so that it was cheaper, why :scratch:

Here it is anyway: as you can see I had to replace the fan

KatrynKat wrote:sigh... i have the FX 9000GTI LOL 123G 456TB...
:lol: :lol: there was no such thing, the FX5950 was the best the FX series had to offer. I wish there was a gfx card with that much memory and such a wide buss :lol:
Fixed that for you... :wink:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

What I meant was that it is not your primary gfx card anymore, or is it......I still have my 6800 but it is sitting in my old pc, my current pc has a GTS450 :)
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

THE_STIG wrote:What I meant was that it is not your primary gfx card anymore, or is it......I still have my 6800 but it is sitting in my old pc, my current pc has a GTS450 :)
No hence the problem 4650 HD and need for a baseball bat
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I have done battle with ATI's rubbish drivers in the past. All I can say is that when an updated driver comes out, install it and then wait for the next update as the problems will eventually be sorted out a few updates later.

You should have bought a GTS450, I love it :) and it is way better then the R1300 price tag suggests :D
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

THE_STIG wrote:I have done battle with ATI's rubbish drivers in the past. All I can say is that when an updated driver comes out, install it and then wait for the next update as the problems will eventually be sorted out a few updates later.
Well lets see, currently on 8.6 dated 2009 (drivers shipped with the card)....the newest one hot fix 11.5...the driver support is actually so bad it is not controlling fan speed correctly with temp increases....so go figure :wink:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

OMW......AMD what have you done :shock: . I guess you will just have to try every driver possible until it works :(
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

THE_STIG wrote:OMW......AMD what have you done :shock: . I guess you will just have to try every driver possible until it works :(
actually I have noticed, even with a proper driver cleaner in between testing new drivers, just messes things up a considerable amount more.... :( So no, I am going to keep every thing with stock drivers...and see what happens...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I hope it works......but if I was in that situation I would have sold the card and gone and got something else, btw who made the card?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

THE_STIG wrote:I hope it works......but if I was in that situation I would have sold the card and gone and got something else, btw who made the card?
sapphire.? and then give some one else the problem...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

hey, at least it wont be your problem anymore :lol:

nothing wrong with sapphire, so it definitely is AMD's fault then :x
Vector1

Post by Vector1 »

Here is my solution.

1: Go to Gumtree
2: Search for one of these okes who sell pirate software.
3: Ask them for a copy of a Winxp SP3 jobbieeeez with all that amazing add-ons and extra drivers. (Love to know how they manage to do that?)
4: Install
5: If it works then your problam is solved.
6: If it does not work - You might be screwed
7: Take it to one of those fundeeeeez who opperate from home and ask them to sort it out. (Make sure to pick one with either a very thick pair of glasses, if no glasses then be sure and pick one who has VERY long hair. OH and they must carry a funny smell on them, some might wear a black t-shirt with a faded logo of some heavy metal band)
8: If no 7 works, make sure and ask them for the drivers. (They might swear and shout at you - If that happens make sure you have your PC in hand and run. God alone knows what that kind can get up to).
9: If the problems still persists - You are screwed.
10: Last, but not least. Sell it, make it somebody elses problem and move on.
Just my 2c
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Vector1 wrote:Here is my solution.

1: Go to Gumtree
I think not
2: Search for one of these okes who sell pirate software.
No again
3: Ask them for a copy of a Winxp SP3 jobbieeeez with all that amazing add-ons and extra drivers. (Love to know how they manage to do that?)
It is called slip streaming , chop
4: Install
Perhaps I didn't make it clear I am avoiding SP3
5: If it works then your problam is solved.
It is problem
6: If it does not work - You might be screwed
Well, nothing like a good screw
7: Take it to one of those fundeeeeez who opperate from home and ask them to sort it out. (Make sure to pick one with either a very thick pair of glasses, if no glasses then be sure and pick one who has VERY long hair. OH and they must carry a funny smell on them, some might wear a black t-shirt with a faded logo of some heavy metal band)
Surely you mean a person like me, but having no glasses and short hair does it mean a new geek to stereo type
8: If no 7 works, make sure and ask them for the drivers. (They might swear and shout at you - If that happens make sure you have your PC in hand and run. God alone knows what that kind can get up to).No I will do the swearing my self, I don't want to pay some one else to swear about a problem I know even they will not understand without pulling out a scientific calculator, to calculate the odds of solving the problem
9: If the problems still persists - You are screwed.
Nothing like getting screwed again...wear protection, some thing like windows XP should help
10: Last, but not least. Sell it, make it somebody elses problem and move on.
That would still make it my problem as I have to explain why this or that isn't working
Just my 2c
Here is a refund and spare change, go buy your self some sarcasm and wit
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Good answers Wiz :lol:
Vector1 wrote:Here is my solution.

There is a program called Nlite, heard of it :?

And I am that sort......just minus the long hair and glasses