I think a baseball bat would help

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.

How to get revenge on AMD

Through physical exertion and the joy of putting that bang for your buck literally with a baseball bat
32%
Multiple head shots with a Remington 850 pump action shotgun
No votes
One single and final blow through the use of ASROC anti-submarine rocket ... power to the atom
26%
Use it to create SkyNet - it is evil, after all
11%
Send it to KillerByte to review. Watch him weep.
21%
Place it anywhere within a 5km radius of CesarePlay, and let the EMP do the rest
11%

Total votes: 19

wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

I think a baseball bat would help

Post by wizardofid »

I am finally fed up, I am considering taking either a baseball bat or a shotgun.I think AMD staff should be shot on sight, for the annoyances they have caused so far.

But before I do I am open to some advice.

I got a AMD operton 170 and a NF3 motherboard/ATI4650HD AGP card from a fellow PCF forum member.I quickly ditched the board for a via chipset board to be able to have both cores enabled in window vista and then win7.

The hardware as such is not the headache it's the damn drivers and software that is getting the better of me.

Currently I am still using the drivers supplied with the GPU, as the moment I upgrade the drivers, Softimage 7 crashes, maya crashes , lithunwrap slows to a crawl, and numerous other opengl programs simply refuses to work, that is within Win XP.

Vista and Win7 have minor or no problems.

However I am forced to make use of win XP because of software compatibility issues with win 7 and vista.So having to boot back and forth between OS's is getting a little irksome, and I can't really ditch XP as these tools, are needed or else the game dev would ground to a halt, nor are there any replacements tools as these tools are game engine specific.

So what I am looking at is the best possible advice with regards to the following:

Service Packs: Which one is the best to use, service pack 1 or 2, SP 3 isn't currently cooperative with software compatibility, and can bring things to a halt with simply things like installing a piece of software.Would Dotnet 3 work with SP 2. ?

Drivers: any 3rd party AMD drivers with better OpenGL support that I should know of.

I am in the process of building a new non-AMD system, no offence AMD fanboys the hardware is great, your damn drivers support is the pits.

When the new system is complete, do I use a baseball bat, a shotgun or a depth charge to end the suffering, of course would you like to see a video of said destruction.

Mods can I have a poll please, as I am really planning on doing this. !
Last edited by wizardofid on 07 Jun 2011, 17:24, edited 2 times in total.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: I think a baseball bat would help

Post by Ron2K »

Poll duly added - with a few extra options. :lol:

(EDIT: And someone else overwrote my extra options. Hang on folks, let me put them back quickly...)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Woops we added it at the same time...Think mine overrode your iWonWon2000
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Wiz what version of Win 7 are you using?

*edit*

Ron reset the votes please? I only saw Vampies ones...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

'Sent' vs 'Send' gents?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Oh deary... seems we are down to allowing the torturing of KillerBytes again. \o/

Wizard... getting proper drivers won't be easy even on an Intel platform. If the OS does not have them try auto update if that fails... oops.... I suggest getting a decent new rig.... spruce it up with a GPU and load that old and trusty XP sp2.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Well depending on his version of Windows he could install WinXP mode and have those apps that are not compatible with Win7 run in XPMode.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I haven't actually found an instance where compatibility mode actually makes any difference.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Thou shall not send killerbyte old hardware to review. The power of his mind will surely crumble into a black hole as he tries to determine why the fates hate him so much.

PS. XPmode in Win 7 is fantastic. I use it for Macromedia Director 2004, which is sadly what our cover disc is made with, when I need to play with the interface.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Not that compatibility mode ;). I am talking about this one:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... fault.aspx

Has helped on my side...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Anakha56 wrote:Not that compatibility mode ;). I am talking about this one:

Has helped on my side...
That is like installing an OS and then deciding that you need to install an actual OS
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

@ killerbyte
we know you like playing with your toys so this is like reliving your youthful days... that were not so long ago....
sometimes you just have to take one for the team!! :D
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:I haven't actually found an instance where compatibility mode actually makes any difference.
It is just a cleaver lie created by Microsoft so that people will still buy their new OS's. It has never and will never work :x

Anakha56 wrote:Not that compatibility mode ;). I am talking about this one:

Has helped on my side...
This one does work :) ...and is quite cool, as I have every copy of windows since 95 installed on it, except for vista.
But as RRF says it is a bit inconvenient, and most people don't know that it even exists :lol:
Last edited by THE_STIG on 07 Jun 2011, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

edit
Double post :oops:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Anakha56 wrote:Wiz what version of Win 7 are you using?

*edit*

Ron reset the votes please? I only saw Vampies ones...
win 7 ultimate
Wizard... getting proper drivers won't be easy even on an Intel platform. If the OS does not have them try auto update if that fails... oops.... I suggest getting a decent new rig.... spruce it up with a GPU and load that old and trusty XP sp2.
Which is the general idea.
Well depending on his version of Windows he could install WinXP mode and have those apps that are not compatible with Win7 run in XPMode.
With the way the software runs and win 7 is a big no no....

I just paid for my stuff from PCF so will be getting 4 gig ram and another HDD, then I have to scout for a PCI-e 1.0a compatible GFX, non-amd their opengl support is horrid.

80% of software I use rely on it....

So pretty much destruction on the menu for the old system, once I get the new one up and running....
Last edited by wizardofid on 07 Jun 2011, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Oh BTW I think for the depth charge...

Dry ice in 5 coke bottles tied to it should do the trick....The idea is to throw it in big dam we have here...of course attached to a line so that we can see what damage was caused....and to do the whole environment thing perhaps score some fish in the process too.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

VIA
Well theres your problem mate.
I owned a VIA chipset ages ago, yeah their driver support is bad.

I love ASUS.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

JollyJamma wrote:
VIA
Well theres your problem mate.
I owned a VIA chipset ages ago, yeah their driver support is bad.

I love ASUS.
VIA are the only ones that supplied "working" vista drivers, nvidia simply stopped support.VIA ain't the problem, the problem is with openGL and AMD catalyst drivers...the card supports opengl 3.0...getting it work and be backward compatible with older openGL version, is like getting water from a rock...with nvidia cards I have never had problems like that ...ever...the occasional bad the driver but there was always 3rd party driver or new updates that actually "fixes" most problems.... eventually.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Well I must say that some of VIA's chipsets were rubbish and the drivers never worked properly, I have a Aopen Ax-34 with the VIA appolo 133a pro and it took hours of swearing and fiddling with the registry to get the AGP drivers to work so that it would run at 4X mode
Prime

Post by Prime »

Hang on, You are blaming AMD for your woes with VIA and software that won't run on a decent OS and by your own admission there are no Nforce drivers for vista.

Anyone else confused as I am by this? :?
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I though I was the only one who was confused.......VIA have made some rubbish in the past but most of their KT series chipsets(the KT-600 for example) were very good. AMD is not as bad as you say I have Athlon xp 2500+ and it even runs windows 7 flawlessly just as long as you dont try and play any games(very slow, but that is the OS's fault). So why you have so many problems is beyond me , could have something to do with that strange CPU you have :wink:
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

if you are going to hit with basball bat then at least get some liquid nitrogen and freeze real good first so it shatters into a billion pieces :P
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

*edit* Nvm reread the post :P
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

DeathStrike wrote:if you are going to hit with basball bat then at least get some liquid nitrogen and freeze real good first so it shatters into a billion pieces :P
but why......AMD's are by no means bad CPUs the problem seems to lie with the OS and the drivers, so go and bash them :lol:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Prime wrote:Hang on, You are blaming AMD for your woes with VIA and software that won't run on a decent OS and by your own admission there are no Nforce drivers for vista.

Anyone else confused as I am by this? :?
Hang on if you actually read the post, you would know that I said I ditched the nforce board because via had "working" drivers.Also some thing of note is the drivers aren't just any normal drivers in fact AMD released special hot fix drivers, for the last couple of months and not just for one card. The 4 series 3 series 2 series all of these cards which had special AGP versions have had problems.

So it isn't an isolated case it is in fact a few 100000 people with the same problem, the problem is also aggravated by having a dual core system.Google-ing (AMD code 43) is going to give you a few results.This is due to the way AMD handles x86 architect.Since there are no problems with nvidia, and micketsoft hasn't released and specific fixes them self to address the problem.

As for the slow opengl or lack of a working driver falls back on AMD again, a simple google will point you into a new light just how bad AMD opengl support is in game development circles and with games.

Again it isn't just me, there are a few 100 other people is the same boat.So shifting blame on software makes no sense when you have a few 100 thousand people complaining about the exact same problem, even the pci-e counter parts are hardly immune to the opengl problems.

the fact of the matter is AMD has bad opengl support and drivers it's been like this for many years and unlikely to change any time soon...

Oh having 2 or 3 tools that doesn't work in vista or win7, isn't all that bad, considering the main problem is far worse.