HOWTO: Break Up but Not Break Her Heart

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: HOWTO: Break Up but Not Break Her Heart

Post by Tribble »

For her too - if she is really in love with him. Girls don't let go of love easily
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Tribble wrote:For her too - if she is really in love with him. Girls don't let go of love easily
+1

They tend to cling to the point of suffocation.... or is that strangulation.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
Tribble wrote:For her too - if she is really in love with him. Girls don't let go of love easily
+1
They tend to cling to the point of suffocation.... or is that strangulation.
QFT +1

You have to be harsh in a gentle way - but sometimes there is no gentle way.
How do you ask a guillotine to slice in a nice way?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Easy.... you don't expect anything from it. You let it fall where it may. If you try and force down the blade you will only cause a tear and not a clean cut.

Analogies aside. There is still no way to elegantly break up. You will always sit with a fallout which you don't want.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

jamin_za wrote:Okay, now that the peanut galley has had their say, time for the big boys to jump in...

What you need to do is get HER to break up with YOU.
You must know her pet peeves - start working on them.
Tell her she's putting on weight. Fart a lot. Stand her up on a few dates. Start spending lots of time on MXIT. Buy Dianetics by L Ron Hubbard and tell her it contains some interesting ideas...

She'll give you the old heave-ho soon enough.
Don't forget the Dutch Oven.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

GDI_Lord wrote:I really, really hope that we can still be friends because I really enjoy her and her company and being around her, I'm just not sure what would be best for her in this regard.
Yeah, you might want to think about that one. If she doesn't want to stay friends, you've got to respect that. Having your heart broken and then being told "but I still want to be your friend" is a pretty crap experience, so she might not want to go for that. Also, consider that once you've moved on, she might not have, and then when you meet a new girl, it'll be 100% uncomfortable when you tell the ex that you met another girl.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
jee

Post by jee »

After a serious relationship being "friends" afterwards does not work. Period. It can only work again after a long slow period of healing... when you find each other on different levels. Best advice - if you part ways, to part it for a good while before seeing each other again.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

jee wrote:After a serious relationship being "friends" afterwards does not work. Period. It can only work again after a long slow period of healing... when you find each other on different levels. Best advice - if you part ways, to part it for a good while before seeing each other again.
And in most cases not even then
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I wonder what it is like breaking up with someone you are still in love with? I know that once you no longer love them, but they are still in love, - it really sux. You then have the guilt to contend with. And the continuous questions you (and they) ask yourself about whether you are doing the right thing, would it have worked if you tried harder, are you sure there isn't a way for it to work out, why don't you love them anymore, what did they do to lose you ... And then you see the pain you have caused. And you swear that you will never do it again - but you do. You fall in love and it starts all over again.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Tribble.... seriously.... take it from a fool.... you don't want to know.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Luckily for me I never will.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

i have kept quiet through this all as i don't have any thing to say...
but the truth is the best policy....

even breaking off a friendship is hard and it hurts.... i know....

i can't say much about relationships tho....
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

/Nothing to add...

Get your hands on some Rohypnol, slip it in drink, tell her its over. Next day when she calls remind her that last night you both mutually agreed to end the relationship. She wont remember and because you said mutually she wont be heart broken...

/

BTW Good luck as everyone else said no matter what you do damage will be done...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

I really, really hope that we can still be friends because I really enjoy her and her company and being around her, I'm just not sure what would be best for her in this regard.
Erm, mental note: don't post while very tired, it won't make sense when read in the cold light of day.

@Dae: Yeah, I've been on the wrong side of the whole "let's be friends" thing before.

TBH, I'm actually much more concerned about her than about myself.
Last edited by GDI_Lord on 24 May 2011, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

GDI_Lord wrote:TBH, I'm actually much more concerned about her than about myself.
That says a lot. You absolutely sure you have to break it up?
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

In a good or a bad way? And yes, I'm sure.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

How far have you guys taken it so far? You might still be able to salvage your friendship without falling prey to the "emotional prostitution" problem. You can also scold yourself strongly in front of her for letting things progress as far as they have. Also make sure she understands that you are also thinking about how this might affect her son.

It sounds as if your initial strong friendship developed into a feeling of companionship and a physical attraction before you realised it, meaning you would have to move even further back in the relationship than simply the point at which you both admitted your feelings to each other. How often did you see each other during this time? Limiting your exposure to each other would be the best tactic after you make your misgivings known to her. One thing to remember though, is that you might have a hard time keeping your own romantic feelings in check towards her if you want to continue your friendship. One's head and heart don't communicate very well during the best of times.

[troll]Synch your TV's auto off and your Sound system's auto on clocks. Sit and watch "The Break-up" to a pre-determined point, at which time the TV automatically switches off and the sound system plays "I will always love you". Stand up and invite a hug. While hugging, inch closer to the door by mock close dancing. Once the song ends, gently shove her out the door and close it. Make fake sobbing sounds. [/troll]
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

KALSTER wrote: [troll]Synch your TV's auto off and your Sound system's auto on clocks. Sit and watch "The Break-up" to a pre-determined point, at which time the TV automatically switches off and the sound system plays "I will always love you". Stand up and invite a hug. While hugging, inch closer to the door by mock close dancing. Once the song ends, gently shove her out the door and close it. Make fake sobbing sounds. [/troll]
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats awesome! :lol: :lol: :lol: Practice it much? :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

KALSTER wrote:Limiting your exposure to each other would be the best tactic after you make your misgivings known to her. One thing to remember though, is that you might have a hard time keeping your own romantic feelings in check towards her if you want to continue your friendship. One's head and heart don't communicate very well during the best of times.
These have been in my head for a while now...

[troll]Synch your TV's auto off and your Sound system's auto on clocks. Sit and watch "The Break-up" to a pre-determined point, at which time the TV automatically switches off and the sound system plays "I will always love you". Stand up and invite a hug. While hugging, inch closer to the door by mock close dancing. Once the song ends, gently shove her out the door and close it. Make fake sobbing sounds. [/troll]
OK, I admit it, I lolled hard! I'm trying not to reply to trolls, but dude, that deserved a reply!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Practice it much?
:) No, not quite that heartless. Would work in a movie though. :)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

That is brilliant - had me laughing. I can just imagine the look on her face. Bwahahahahahahaha
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Right, tomorrow evening it is...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Eish, good luck man.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Do it. Do it naow. It's not a good relationship and it'll just flounder. We have faith in you.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

That went better than I expected. Turns out that sometimes words and tone and body language can be misinterpreted - although I'm still not 100 percent convinced when someone says (on two separate occasions!) that "they love you, that they love you *SO* much" they're talking as a friend. Maybe 80 percent...

Well, hey, that's good news, me with having nothing more than a bruised ego and not a cracked skull or broken jaw. However, I must say, after I got that out the way as gently and as lovingly as possible, we had the deepest conversation that I've had with a girl for perhaps five years. It's like it deepened the intimacy of the relationship in a very big way. (Hopefully I can keep myself believing what I've decided and told myself, you guys and her; and not slowly become an emotional prostitute over time. Darn possible complications in a male-female friendship! :- )

I'm so tired from stressing about this thing this whole week I have no idea much longer I'll be awake. Goodnight guys!