Lucid Dreaming

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Lucid Dreaming

Post by Siemens »

Last night I had my first lucid dream. I can't remember much of the details except that I tried to fly but only managed to jump really high.

Anyone else here experienced a lucid dream before? Is it normal not to remember the dream that well?

For those who don't know what a lucid dream is. It is basically a dream that you can control. The whole dream is lifelike so it is seems like you are actually living it. In such dreams you can basically do anything that you can think of. The trick is to realise that you are dreaming and not wake up when you realise that.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
jee

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by jee »

Did you have an OBE?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Sounds like he had a few OBS's...
jee

Post by jee »

Hmm Synth... it happens when one is in sink with your spirituality - regular meditation.. :)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Out of body experience?
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

No guys, I'm talking about a Lucid dream, there is a difference.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, there's a huge difference.

Lucid dreaming is something I've been wanting to get into for ages. In fact, I'm pretty sure I started a thread about it here a few years ago.

It's a whole lot of work to get the hang of it, though, so I lost interest.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

A dude with the name of Dae_Ja_Voo making an appearance in a "Lucid Dreaming" thread. Never saw that one coming.
jee

Post by jee »

Synth, if you can direct your mind to a lucid dream its brilliant for changing attitudes... and the one leads to the other/ DJV, meditation is normally the easiest way into Lucid Dreaming...
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I do it now and again but I don't generally remember them.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I will definitely look into this method for having better control of my attitude. Wait, what!!! You saying something about my attitude?
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yeah, there's a huge difference.

Lucid dreaming is something I've been wanting to get into for ages. In fact, I'm pretty sure I started a thread about it here a few years ago.

It's a whole lot of work to get the hang of it, though, so I lost interest.
I've done some more research now and since the last time I researched it (which was easily 6 or 7 years ago) there has been HUGE discoveries in the field. They even created some medical supplements that helps to enduce these dreams. However it's still prefered to do it naturally.

The best tip I've found is, get yourself a digital watch. Keep checking your watch at random intervals or when something seems suspicious. In the dream state the brain cant make any sense of numbers so the numbers on your watch will appear to be changing in the weirdest order. Once you see that on your watch you instantly know your in a lucid dream. Then rub your hands together (they say it stabilizes your dream so you wont wake up and you'll have more control)

They also suggest starting a dream journal. Which will help you to a) more easily notice that you are dreaming and b) be able to remember these dreams more often.

For the past few years I was quite skeptic about it however after the dream last night I have no choice but to believe it.

There's really been a lot of research done lately regarding it and a lot more usefull techniques. So Dae, I recommend you start checking some of the popular Lucid dreaming forums. All my tips I got from here http://www.dreamviews.com/forum.php and you can just see by the userbase/activity that there are a lot of people doing it.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I don't want to remember what I dream - there is a reason I forget.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Yes, believe it. It is true, because it's on the internet.
jee

Post by jee »

Tribbs, its not just the remembering of the dreams, its the changing of them while you are in a dream state that is exciting.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Tribble wrote:I don't want to remember what I dream - there is a reason I forget.
If you can control your dream then there wont be anything you'd want to forget. You can really change the setting to a Tropical beach or go to the moon.
Synthesis wrote:Yes, believe it. It is true, because it's on the internet.
Lol, I believe it because I've experienced it.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Sorry for my ignorance, but being able to change the state of your dreams to what you want. Isn't this just basic imagination while being awake. I can't figure out the difference between sitting on the couch imagining a fantasy world and doing whatever I want to and being in a dream while asleep, doing the same, but not remembering it as well as I do in my awake imagination.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

That I can sometimes do and wake up knowing that I did change things. But certain things refuse to change. I had a flying dream where I could not take shortcuts and had to take the way I would take by road. I also could not remove a jacket - no matter how many times I took it off, it would just be on me again.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Synthesis wrote:Sorry for my ignorance, but being able to change the state of your dreams to what you want. Isn't this just basic imagination while being awake. I can't figure out the difference between sitting on the couch imagining a fantasy world and doing whatever I want to and being in a dream while asleep, doing the same, but not remembering it as well as I do in my awake imagination.
The difference is, in these dreams things appear as you see things when you are awake. The textures everything feels exactly the same. So you really feel like you are awake.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Tribble wrote:That I can sometimes do and wake up knowing that I did change things. But certain things refuse to change. I had a flying dream where I could not take shortcuts and had to take the way I would take by road. I also could not remove a jacket - no matter how many times I took it off, it would just be on me again.
They call such dreams half/semi lucid. Which is what I experienced. I couldn't fly I could only jump really high, as though I didn't have full control. Everything still appeared real.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I wouldn't like to be able to do that Siemens. Because you know that depressing feeling when you wake up and think, great.... back to the real world, I wish that dream was real. That's really not a nice feeling.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I have had many dreams I wished were real
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

And the feeling sux when you wake up, right?

Thank you, that's my point. Dreaming is for the birds.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

It does
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Yeah maybe... there's a movie about a guy who discovers the ability to lucid dream and he lived 2 lives. He build his own perfect world in his dreams. Even had penelope cruz as his wife lol.