The money thread (investments, banking, etc.)

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
RiaX

The money thread (investments, banking, etc.)

Post by RiaX »

Hello i just wanted some real experience from people who have done investing money so i can sift through the lies of the financial advisors because a lot of them push for clients to take investments that yeild a good comission percentage for themselves

so lets keep it confidential and assume the figure of R10 000 for anyone posting here, plus this will make the maths simpler as well.

Which of the investment companies/banks do some of you use and what percentage is offered for a period of time and who do recommend?

Also can I get some pro and cons with fixed rates and liquid rates?

im looking to do some investment for myself and its always best to get a broad view and a variety before doing something of this importance
Synthesis

Re: The investment thread

Post by Synthesis »

Okay, here's my view. I don't take long term policies or investments because I would estimate 90% of people I know who do, get less out than they put in. In other words, you're better off stuffing cash under your mattress.

I have savings plans at my bank. They offer 6.04% on anything under R10 000. Then over R10 000 this drops to about 4.6%. So watch out for this.
My reason is that it's a fixed saving over 1 year. I know that in 1 year I'll get my money back with that interest. Then I can decide to release it, use it, or re-"invest" it. I stick it back in.

Personally, I would say starting with R10 000 is too little to look at investing. Too risky. Unless you're looking more close to the R100 000 mark, then investing would seem alright to me. But that I have no knowledge of because I am suspicious as previously stated.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

+1 on the suspicion part - too many 'brokers' and 'financial advisors' are too flippen rich. :?

Which bank is that by the way - that's a good return for <R10k?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm not sure if this is at all helpful, but I use a financial advisor from Vanguard Financial whom I trust quite implicitly. Barry Jamie is the guy from there that I use. That's pretty much all I can say, because he understands my investment portfolio far better than I do. :oops:

I also have a money market account with Absa, for what it's worth. But that was created as a very short term investment, so probably not what you're looking for at all.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Capitec.

Don't care what anyone says. I love them. It's for my private banking. No hassles, no paperwork and honestly I don't notice bank charges as I did previously. That's the main thing.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Synthesis wrote:Capitec.

Don't care what anyone says. I love them. It's for my private banking. No hassles, no paperwork and honestly I don't notice bank charges as I did previously. That's the main thing.
That was a little defensive
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Thanks, I'll have a look. Need somewhere to stash my 'slush-fund'.

As for the lack of paperwork. Remember 20/Twenty in the old Saambou days?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Yeah but who is the financial backing for capitec, is it as strong and say old mutal? ... i mean its legend for small accounts but now with big accounts i am a bit suspicious to trust them with the bulk of my fortune

Btw i know 10k is a waste of time we just using 10k so people dont have to divulge such personal things like how much money they got and where it is

btw whats your oke's take on money market?
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

You only interested in investing in the cash market or shares and bonds too? Bonds will get you a higher returns than cash but are less liquid. Not sure what kind of risk you are looking to take on (How old are you??) and what your investment time horizon is?
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

I want no risks, i worked hard for my money im not interested in a broker going and losing it or should i say sinking it then run away with a profit while im stuck in a hole.

Anyways im not old im turning 24, im trying to to make this into a deposit for a new car or start a housing bond in about 5 years after im done loafing around

and obviously im not using 10k
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

Well government bonds are certainly the safest investment, risk free actually. The 5-year government retail bond offers 8% per year or you can buy floating rate at 2.25% above inflation.

Otherwise if you are just wanting to keep it in cash you can probably get a fixed deposit account ranging from 4 to 7,5% depending on the period taken, with any of the major banks.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

i wonder about goverment based investment with all the rogues there
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

Lol, it's safer with the government than it is with the banks. Banks can always default, governments can print money (or the central bank which is owned by the government) if all else fails.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Well you can see what they doing to that BEE trustfund .....
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

Which one?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Are you talking about 10k once off?
Are you prepared to make monthly contributions?

If it is once off, the best returns are in shares of some flavor, done with sound advice.
Don't plonk it into an account and depend on interest, savings interest on that small amount = matress.

If you are prepared to make monthly payments, my fist question would be, do you have a bond?
If you have a bond, rather spent the monthly Rs you have for this as an addition to your bond each month, in the long long run you will save an astounding percentage on interest.

If your bond is paid up, back to shares, done with sound advice
Once you talk about 100k+ we can talk about different options.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

as i said earlier im not wasting my time with 10k
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

i have a one month investment account with nedbank. every month it capitalises the interest into the investment. and i add another portion of my salary into the investment as well. i get 4.xx % it may not be much but i know that it is growing every month. IIRC they also offer a 6.xx % for a one year although this was sometime ago.

bank charges? as far as i know there are none.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

DeathStrike wrote:i have a one month investment account with nedbank. every month it capitalises the interest into the investment. and i add another portion of my salary into the investment as well. i get 4.xx % it may not be much but i know that it is growing every month. IIRC they also offer a 6.xx % for a one year although this was sometime ago.

bank charges? as far as i know there are none.
there are no bank charges on an investment, however when you cash that out it will be taxed or so im told
senile

Post by senile »

RiaX wrote: there are no bank charges on an investment, however when you cash that out it will be taxed or so im told
True, the bank you invest with deduct tax before cashing out
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

Yeah, tax-free interest income is limited to R22 300 per year if you are under 65 unfortunately
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

PingPong wrote:Yeah, tax-free interest income is limited to R22 300 per year if you are under 65 unfortunately
no thats inclusive of all your earnings so if you paid working and all your investments come to R22 300/a the reciever wont tax you
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

The R22 300 relates to an interest exemption, Section 10 (1) (i) of the South African Tax Act. Anything over that must be included in gross income for tax purposes
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

ah that's depressing...

so SARS gets a portion of my hard earned cash again if i invest it?

kind of makes the point of investing pointless...
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

Only if you are investing like 300k or more. Anything below that and the interest earned will be tax free (generally speaking)