BMW or SUBARU

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.

BMW or Subaru?

Subaru
62%
BMW
38%

Total votes: 60

abysmal

BMW or SUBARU

Post by abysmal »

BMW or SUBARU

Which would u take
amdretard

Post by amdretard »

sabaru
My friends think i need a life. What do you think?
Charger1406

Post by Charger1406 »

SUBARU I don't really smaak beemers.
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

Subaru
Subaru
Subaru
Subaru
Subaru
Subaru
Subaru
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

Um, why the hell is this posted under the cooling section....? :evil:

And for the record, how the hell can you compare two brand names like that, each company makes good cars and bad cars...
For all I know this could be a comparison between the Subaru WRX STi & the BMW 318i.... :?
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238
AMDfan

Post by AMDfan »

definelty SABARU
*more reliable - lately German cars are beging to have relaibility issues
*rarer - I see BMWs everywhere
*great Mod options

If you want to be a status seeking dummy, go for BMWs
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

AMDfan wrote:definelty SABARU
First of its Subaru... (but indeed a minor technicality)
AMDfan wrote: *more reliable - lately German cars are beging to have relaibility issues
A Subaru more reliable than a BMW!?, what the hell type of glue have you been sniffing? Please dont tell me that you are taking the seatbelt issue that Porsche recently addressed, as a generalising support for the fact the "lately German cars" are having reliablitity issues. Please, and I mean seriously please, explain to me how you came about this conclusion, because, no offense, it sounds like complete sh*t. Oh and yes, I dont think German cars are "beging" to have reliability issues, but it is indeed another minor technicality.
AMDfan wrote: *rarer - I see BMWs everywhere
Well maybe thats got something to do with the fact that they produce fantastic cars. *NEWSFLASH* If the cars were sh*t, people would not buy them....
AMDfan wrote: *great Mod options
To be honest I think there are more companies out there produceing "mod options' for beemers than Subarus....maybe its got to do something about their popularity....
AMDfan wrote: If you want to be a status seeking dummy, go for BMWs
Or if you just want a good, reliable solid German car.... :wink:
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238
Laurence

Post by Laurence »

Well, We only have Beemers in our family, so I would definately go for

BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW BMW

That pretty much clears up my decision...
GIGABYTE W251U 12.1" Notebook
LOGITECH Wireless Media Desktop Laser
ACER Ferrari F-20"
LOGITECH Z-5500 Digital
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Moved this from Cooling

Anyway i would go for the Subaru, has greater customisation potential! Also far easier to tune due to the lower technical precision required over a beemer! Of course this is my choice because, if i could get any car then i would have to customise it! Subaru STI all the way!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Subaru alllll the way...

Beemers SUCK... honest opinion...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

SUBARU!!!!!! :D
Last edited by ICE-VaPa on 10 Jun 2004, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Inslaine

Post by Inslaine »

BMW OR SUBARU? That's like asking Sexy naked Blonde or Sexy naked brunette? It's a win, win situation. Both makes are brilliant I think, but I have to say I am a sucker for the Z4, it's just sooooooooo styling. But that's just my opinion.
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

Did any of you guys see the review of the Ford Focus RS on top gear? If not let me enlighten you. They compared it to the Subaru WRX on the circuit:
Some stats....

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX-> Power Output-> 276 horsepower ALL WHEEL DRIVE!

FORD FOCUS RS-> Power Output-> 215 horsepower FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE!

SUBARU : 1min 39.0 secs

FORD : 1min 33.8 secs

Now if it doesnt strike you as odd that a less-powerful front-wheel drive car has much better handling than the all-wheel drive subaru, than you have a problem... Maybe the Subaru Impreza aint all its made out to be.... :wink:
// 3D2k3= 11238
AMDfan

Post by AMDfan »

German cars 'not reliable'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3129581.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3131800.stm

beging=begining

"Well maybe thats got something to do with the fact that they produce fantastic cars. *NEWSFLASH* If the cars were sh*t, people would not buy them...."

Just b/c more ppl buy them doesnt necessary mean they're better. Depends on personal taste.

" more companies out there produceing "mod options' for beemers than Subarus"

I said "great"

"If the cars were sh*t, people would not buy them...."

The NSX is considered to be one the the finest yet did it break record sales?

"no offense, it sounds like complete sh*t."

You really need to cool down.
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

Cool, I am cool, in fact i am freezing its damn cold outside..... :( :lol:

Dude, all i wanted was just something to back up your claims that German cars are indeed unreliable. Those articles are more than 9 months old, but I accept your point...

Maybe the reason why the NSX wasnt as popular as the average BMW has something to do with its $89 000 price tag in the US.... :wink:

Peace dude....
// 3D2k3= 11238
AMDfan

Post by AMDfan »

Dude/Dudette

?Dude, all i wanted was just something to back up your claims that German cars are indeed unreliable.?

I didn?t say German cars were unreliable, perhaps less reliable thanm compared to say Honda or Toyota. I bought up BBC cause they are more objective, all other ?up to date sources? seems more bias.

You?ve pegged me all wrong, I?m a BMW/German car fan too, but I cannot stand ppl who buy cars just b/c it?s a Merc/Beemer/German, that?s such provincial thinking, try out other brands for piets sakes. Just the other day a collegeue of mine wanted a new BMW so I asked why?
He replied: BMW?s are nice.
Me: but why?
He: I don?t know, I just like a nice BMW
I pressed him further for a reason to justify his choice and he couldn?t.

?Maybe the reason why the NSX wasnt as popular as the average BMW has something to do with its $89 000 price tag in the US....?

For starters it was a supercar that even outperformed Ferrari and Porches at the time and you could use it as a daily driver, and which every magazine raved about for the past 13years. Ppl dissed it b/c it was a Japanese vehicle despite it trounced all its competitors. I think you get my point so I?ll shut up now
:wink:
SS_Titanic

Post by SS_Titanic »

SUBARU....no contest
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

Post by Guest »

hooo boy its a tricky one.

M3 or STI hmmm i think i'd probably go for the BMW, but i'm not 100% sure :wink:
I think i prefer the look of the M3. Performance wise they're both beasts that the vast majority of us will never have the time or skills to unleash.

Although i've seen some beautifully modded sti's that made me happy to be alive.

The new 6 series Beemer looks superb i must say.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

grrr guest is me, forgot to logon.
Using sisters pc instead of mine.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

-ASSASSIN- wrote:Cool, I am cool, in fact i am freezing its damn cold outside..... :( :lol:

You don't know what cold feels like until you have been in Jo'burg. :D This morning is absolutely freezing!

And back to the topic. I would pick both. But you can't really compare these two as they are in different classes. The beemers are damn hot, but they are in a class lower than Subaru (well, that's my opinion anyway).
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Demoraliser

Post by Demoraliser »

I dont beliebve you lot are actually debating this...

like one of the guys said, if are going to compare the bmw and subaru, you have to pick specific models...

Once you ahve done this, it all depends ones needs. Yes some poeple just want to have beemers coz they are beemers. This i find stupid. I think poeple should know waht they are buying instead of just settling for brand name.

Now, someone suggested comparing the Scooby STI to an M3. Very good comparison. If you are going to choose then let it be based on cost. An E36 M3 will set you back R530 000 while the Scooby will cost much less. Both cars are fast, really fast.
But, if money is object, i would go for the M3. Here is why:

you are getting probably one of the best out the Germans. Thats right, the best! There is no other car in production that whips out 343bhp (360bhp in the CSL reincarnation) from a naturally aspirated 3.2l inline 6 cylinder engine. And none that with the same specs that red lines at 8000rpm!!

Matter of fact, the engine in the E36 M3 was given tops honours 2002 (cant remember by what motor engineering instution, i will check in my magazines), and beat the Ferrari F360 motor!

ANother reason, at the Kayalami last year, the M3 was the fastest car round the track! Beating even the mighty Skyline GTR R34! Not becoz it was the most powerful, but it was the had the best balance in power and handling! (Suspension tuned at the Nurburgring).

As for modding potential, choosing the Scooby over the Beemer is just silly. There just as many after market tuners for the bmw - AC Schnitser, Hamann Motorsport, Alpina, Denon...

So , for me its the BMW all the way. BTW lookout for the E60 M5 - V10 5litre with 500bhp!
Lee Mercer (Angel): This is getting ridiculous. The first assassin kills the second assassin sent to kill the first assassin, who didnt assassinate anyone until we hired the second assassin to assassinate her.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

wit_skapie wrote:Image

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

I don't know if this has beinf mentioned.

You also have to keep in mind the availibility of the spare part for these models, I'm doing some thumb sucking right now, but I would think that BMW parts are easy to get hold off as STI(Subaru).

The cost involved in servicing these models should also be taken into consederation. I don't have any idea what the cost factors are for these models so I won't comment on them.

My thoughts....not that it means anything..... :cry: :lol:

If I was looking for an alround playing toy I would go for the STI, the offroad handling should be better than the BMW thxs to the permanent AWD(All Wheel Drive). It should also be able to keep it's ground on the open road.

On the other hand..........Royal Flush I win.....damn not playing now....

The BMW M3 is a real eye catcher, for amazing reason women think BMW = Man with plenty money and big set of ballas...now wht i sayen. The BMW does ahve the advantage on the open road, it will perform more like a racing car, than an alround motor. Be honest with yourself, you will not drive this baby on a durt road with potholes the size of Grand Canyon, and "Doring Bome" (Thorn Trees) as strong as Titanium.

Like some of the people said, it all depends on your needs. So many people these days go and buy cars to increase their status. Cars won't MAKE you reacher, but investing your money smartly will make them easier to afford. Damit, now I'm talking about investments.

Any1 won the Lotto last night????? :wink:
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

To make sense of Squatty's "un-certain-don't-know-enough-to-comment" post :)

It depends what you are using it for...

I personally prefer Subaru for these reasons :

1. Don't get hijacked

2. Have permanent all-wheel drive (BMW only has X3 and X5 which is 4x4)

3. Cheaper to maintain (with a motorplan for BMW it might work out cheap on certain repairs, but since the motorplan doesn't cover consumables (ie. airbags, exhaust, clutch wear), it's not in the long-term.

4. Less on fuel

5. Made in Japan

Advantages of BMW

1. Comfort and accessories

2. Made in Germany

3. 6 Series!

4. Innovations a plenty

5. Spares easiler to get

Fuel Consumption and torque max. kW depend on the different models of Subaru and BMW.
Last edited by neon_chameleon on 10 Jun 2004, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams