Digital Camera, Help Choose

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Cupis

Digital Camera, Help Choose

Post by Cupis »

Hey Guys,

I noticed that some people on here are Photographers, or just at least enthusiasts. I am looking into getting myself a camera, however I will admit I am rather clueless. I am looking to do a bit of photography while I am out in nature, I am rather fond of hiking, and taking time to find good spots for photographs. I also wish to travel overseas soon, so I would like something to take landscape pics and possibly buildings etc. So in my mind, I need a +- 12 MP camera, with a high Optical Zoom capabilities.

I know I could definitely get the best out of a DSLR Camera, but that is too professional and too expensive for my current needs. With this is in mind, I have to look for a ‘Advanced Digital Camera’ or also known as a ‘Hybrid’. This seems like the perfect range of camera’s, as they are not too expensive and they also offer a good deal of ‘power’ to your photography. Now I am rather stuck on which of these Camera’s I want.

So this is where I ask you, the Photography enthusiasts, to help me out. I have tried reading reviews, but I find that they are rather vague, or say the same thing about any of the Camera’s of this Category, ‘They have poor Image Quality’. So I am rather confused which to go for. So I have compiled a little list, if you could recommend one of them if you are familiar with them, or you may suggest one of your own.

Canon Powershot SX30 IS
Canon Powershot SX130 IS
Panasonic DMC-FZ40K
Fuji FinePix S4000
Fuji FinePix S3200
Fuji FinePix S2950
Fuji FinePix S2800HD
Fuji FinePix S1800

Please keep in mind that I am looking to spend anything from R3500 downwards. I also think that AA batteries would be best, as they are easy to replace if you run into trouble, as well as you can take a million with you, if you are hiking for a couple of days, without being reliant on a power source to charge your Camera.

Thanks for you Help,
Cupis
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Digital Camera, Help Choose

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

If you are willing to buy second-hand, you could pick up an SLR for that kind of money. I've seen D80 cameras for R3500, and the D80 is more than capable of taking epic photos.

If you specifically don't want an SLR then I can't be of much help. I don't know much about P&S cameras.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Add the Nikon Coolpix to your list. Really good point and shoot.

I have an Olympus SP-510UZ. Sure their new models are awesome too. I love this little camera. Does great wildlife and macro shots.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Hey Cupis,

That Panasonic DMC-FZ40K is incredibly sharp across it's whole zoom range. They use Zeiss lenses on their cameras so optically they are excellent.
Functionality-wise all those cameras are pretty much standard across the board.
I've only used the Panasonic and the Fuji FinePix S4000 and of those two the Panasonic is way nicer in my opinion.

What Dae says is true about a second hand DSLR however you will still need to throw big money at the 2nd hand DLSR if you want the same zoom capabilities as the Hybrid cameras above.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Unless you're going to use all the features of an SLR and are into some serious photography, it's better to go with a good P&S.

I'd recommend the Canon PowerShot S95, it's a very good camera!
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Cupis,
If you can do without a huge zoom then listen to the wise words of Ryan. The Canon S95 is a fantastic little camera. It's got a super fast lens which means even in low light it will deliver good images.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

My Olympus has a 10X optical zoom.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ooh sorry - it is 5x - but it is still awesome. Takes the best macro shots of all my cameras

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... ?tag=specs
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Well I tend to believe the canon appraisal, I read a review site shortly after posting this here. I was in the tips and tricks while choosing a Camera section, and they stated clear as daylight that Canon is the superior brand, as their track record speaks for itself, etc etc.

So I will probably keep myself within the confines of Canon. I was thinking I may not need the highest zoom, like keep it to a 15x or something, The one thing I have noticed though, is all the Reviews always complain the Quality of Pictures of any of the Hybrid Camera's. Anyone have any experience with this?
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Prime

Post by Prime »

Do you want something you can abuse soundly?
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Cupis wrote:... is all the Reviews always complain the Quality of Pictures of any of the Hybrid Camera's. Anyone have any experience with this?
I have some photos here http://cathybrookes.deviantart.com/gall ... offset=120 taken with my Olympus

My first model shoot was with it too

I am not saying that other cameras are not good - I am saying that Canon isn't the only good make out there (and I use a Canon DSL as my main camera now, so I am a fan). Your best bet is to go and play with them. Hold them and feel them and imagine what you want when you carry it around with you.

The Nokia N8 (yes it is a phone) - takes the most amazing photos too. See the Dec/Jan PIX magazine. Their cover was shot with it. Here - so technically you don't even need a camera as such ;-)
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Hmm thanks Tribble, I will have a look. You know you make an awesome Sales woman :P

As for the phone thing, I know that phones take good pictures, I know that the N8 is better than my phone, but I got a 5MP camera on mine. It takes some really awesome pics, I have been using it till now, but now I feel I need some optical zoom. If I am half way up the berg, there is a lot I can do with 10-20x Optical Zoom :D
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

The thing to remember is all cameras (even the cheapest new point n' shoots )can take great shots IF the light is right.
The big difference is when the light becomes challenging, then you will see cameras true colours (pun not intended). In low light conditions the small sensors and slow lenses of the point and shoots start to struggle.
That is why Ryan and myself suggested the Canon S95. Its low light capabilities are really superb for a small point n' shoot camera.

However, you want 10-20 optical zoom so the S95 isn't in your zone.
I will say the Panasonic is still your best bet at your price ceiling.
Canon is certainly not the toughest sharpest best etc brand across the board. They've made some great cameras, but also they produce a load of very ordinary cameras with nothing amazing about them - so it very much depends on which models you are looking at. At the DSLR level Canon and Nikon are worlds ahead of everyone, but in the hybrid and point n' shoot realm it is very evenly matched.

Tribs, I saw the Pix mag with the Nokia N8 photo shoot. I feel they were a bit dishonest about the whole shoot. The studio and lighting setup they had for the shoot was on a professional level, so although they got amazing photos from a camera phone I feel it was mainly because they had +- R40 000 worth of studio gear backing them up ;)
If you can control the lighting you can control your photo..
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh I agree - but still awesome for a cellphone.

Get a camera with manual settings too (as my Olympus has). That way you can counter poor lighting etc.
Prime

Post by Prime »

They don't tell you how many don't survive that sort of abuse. :wink: I'm sure you could achieve the same with a Nikon or Pentax or Olympus. and break just as many...

There's the Pentax Optio W90. its Rubberised and waterproof and the reviews look good. It's within your budget.

You're best bet is to check out what's available and try it.

Just as aside on SLR's: They pretty much all have their good and bad points. Glass is fairly on par though what you get in terms of lenses differs.

If you want Pancake primes or in body stabilisation, go for Pentax or Olympus.
If you want the most historically compatible system, Pentax K mount.
Go for an olympus (4/3rds lens mount) if you want to be able to use any lens with an adaptor.
Nikon vs Canon - I think Canon has better Iso while Nikon has faster lenses + the MF lenses (Not all of them are compatible though) .
Sony Alpha - is the old Konica Minolta but i'd stay away because it's Sony.

Regarding your comment about batteries. Some of the newer lithium ones are rated for 2000 shots. And you can always carry a spare. :P
Tribble wrote:Oh I agree - but still awesome for a cellphone.

Get a camera with manual settings too (as my Olympus has). That way you can counter poor lighting etc.
+1
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Well, I think Hybrid just simply means 'SLR wannabe' normally those Ultra Zoom point and shoots.
I am a little noob when it comes to ISO... So this is why I am here.

Ok so the reason I mentioned the thing about the quality complaints, is another reason why I am here... you probably find that the reviewers are trying to compare the Hybrid Camera to a SLR, and just state the quality takes a hit. However, as true as it is, I find it difficult to try rate between products if the all have 'image issues', well OK that is what I have found so far.

I popped into a Camera store after word today, and asked around about the products a bit, and this Camera comes up..

Panasonic Lumix FZ45 ... apparently better than the Canon counter part SX30 IS ... Will keep you guys posted.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Cupis wrote:Well, I think Hybrid just simply means 'SLR wannabe' normally those Ultra Zoom point and shoots.
I am a little noob when it comes to ISO... So this is why I am here.

Ok so the reason I mentioned the thing about the quality complaints, is another reason why I am here... you probably find that the reviewers are trying to compare the Hybrid Camera to a SLR, and just state the quality takes a hit. However, as true as it is, I find it difficult to try rate between products if the all have 'image issues', well OK that is what I have found so far.

I popped into a Camera store after word today, and asked around about the products a bit, and this Camera comes up..

Panasonic Lumix FZ45 ... apparently better than the Canon counter part SX30 IS ... Will keep you guys posted.
That's a bridge camera rather than a hybrid. Nice looking piece of hardware though :)

Edit: Technically these are hybrid.

http://www.incredible.co.za/ProductDesc ... ?SKU=74751

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemca ... s/outline/

Sadly, way over priced :( :x
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »