Gauteng (GFIP) Trolls

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Re: Gauteng (GFIP) Tolls

Post by DeathStrike »

ok. well if thats the case then its time we all did something drastic to show the government that we not willing to pay double just because they can't manage their money.

eg... everyone starts driving without number plates. :D doubt there is nearly enough cops to stop everyone.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

DeathStrike wrote: eg... everyone starts driving without number plates. :D doubt there is nearly enough cops to stop everyone.
So quite some time ago in my youth I was told that the cops have pretty powerful cameras that can read your license registration disk on your windshield. Not sure how accurate that info is but knowing the luck of the little man they probably already have camera for it in place at every toll station.

KZN has already talked about bringing it in here. Hell we are going to get a toll road inbetween Toti and Durban and their is no back way around it. Reason for the toll road? To maintain KZN roads? Nope to maintain the Eastern Cape's roads... :roll:

/really hate the way we (general public) gets taken for a ride all the time...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Anakha56 wrote:
DeathStrike wrote: eg... everyone starts driving without number plates. :D doubt there is nearly enough cops to stop everyone.
So quite some time ago in my youth I was told that the cops have pretty powerful cameras that can read your license registration disk on your windshield. Not sure how accurate that info is but knowing the luck of the little man they probably already have camera for it in place at every toll station.
I wonder...

I recently saw some 3D scanners in action that scanned vehicles' barcodes on their license disks from ~3m away. (Intermec CK3's or some such other.) Which isn't too bad for a handheld device...

I wonder if it'd be possible to build a more powerfull, static device into those gantries that scans with light outside the visible range?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
jee

Post by jee »

DeathStrike wrote:ok. well if thats the case then its time we all did something drastic to show the government that we not willing to pay double just because they can't manage their money.
yeah, walk... what about a bike?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Oh heck. :|

"Don't like tolls? Get on the bus"

And now
Gauteng toll fees may yet change

Crossed signal anyone?

Clowns.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

/rant/

idiots. all the more reason to have mass riot outside the government offices. i say we riot outside the transport minister's mansion of a house. perhaps steal his BMW. i am so pissed today for the internet **** today and my work co-workers idiotic mentality that i feel like bashing the ministers head in for spoiling my day even more.

/end rant/
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

jee wrote:
DeathStrike wrote:ok. well if thats the case then its time we all did something drastic to show the government that we not willing to pay double just because they can't manage their money.
yeah, walk... what about a bike?
If you mean Bicycle, it will probably be even more dangerous now for cyclists, what with all the idiots taking the back roads to try avoid paying the toll fees.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Prime

Post by Prime »

I saw the newspaper article yesterday.

sanral has been above the law for years. the machado toll plaza was a classis example.

This will become the most expensive toll road on the country, more expensive than the one to Botswana.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

-Prometheus- wrote:Apparently cosatu is planning on toy-toying again...
Excellent news, I'd give whatever structures erected about 2 days and then you'll never have to worry about paying tolls again. :lol:

I think for once Cosatu has a valid reason to strike.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

Well i will personally join cosatu (Even though i mostly think they are idoits) in this strike. hell i may even help vandalise the cameras doing the scanning :P
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Here is a petition that you can all sign by the AA
http://www.aa.co.za/231/petition/

I'll put it in my sig
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Disrupter

Post by Disrupter »

Hope this helps

Tolpadstelsel opgeskort
2011-02-22 15:24

Kaapstad - Die omstrede tolpadstelsel wat in Gauteng in werking sou tree, is voorlopig opgeskort te midde 'n toutrekkery rondom die voorgestelde fooie, het eNews Dinsdag berig.

Die aankondiging volg 'n ontmoeting Dinsdag tussen die Gautengse premier, Nomvula Mokonyane, en die minister van vervoer, Sbu Ndebele.

Die paar sou "alternatiewe opsies bespreek wat in die beste belange van pendelaars en die staat sal wees".

Ndebele het Dinsdag, voor sy ontmoeting met Mokonyane, gesê dat indien die voorgestelde tolgeld in Gauteng so baie is dat inwoners bankrot gelaat word omdat die pad beter is, dit geen doel sal gedien het nie.

Hou Nuus24 se webwerf dop vir nog inligting, of volg ons op Twitter.

Lees meer oor: tolpaaie | paaie
Imageoempie.png[/img][/url]
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Oooh just got an EWN report that the Transport Minister has just suspended the proposed toll road fees for Gauteng. Will post link when I get it on Twitter.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

They talking about it on cape talk now
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Tariffs Gazetted for the tolling of Gauteng highways will be suspended until further notice, Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele said on Tuesday.

A panel of experts would be appointed to explore options in order to reduce the toll burden on road users, he told reporters in Kempton Park. There has to be a way to pay off Gauteng's new toll roads without leaving users bankrupt, Ndebele said ahead of his meeting with Gauteng premier Nomvula Mokonyane to discuss the controversial road tolling system due to be introduced in the province in June..

“The bill is there. We must find a way to pay the debt so that it doesn't bite too hard on workers and non-working people and taxi operators, otherwise it's self defeating,” Ndebele said.

“If it's so hard that people are left bankrupt because of a good road, then it becomes self defeating.”

While the government needed to recoup the R20-billion borrowed for the construction of the freeways, Ndebele said this needed to be done in a manner that does not squeeze the economic and industrial development of Gauteng and ultimately, the country's development.

Ndebele said he appreciated Mokonyane coming on record during her address in the legislature on Friday, where she also acknowledged the price tag to tolls already installed along highways, but emphasised working out a way of repayment that does not squeeze motorists' pockets too hard.

Ndebele said motorists must not come to a point where they curse the day they drove on Gauteng roads.

“It should be as easy as possible, but the money must be paid and we need to discuss that.”

Meanwhile, Ndebele also denied media reports that the toll gates had caused tension between him and Mokonyane or even with ANC provincial secretary David Makhura.

“There's nothing like that.”

Mokonyane has indicated that her discussions with Ndebele will centre on finding ways of consulting stakeholders, including motorists, on toll roads, and trying to find alternative ways of financing the construction.

Tempers flared after the SA National Roads Agency announced three weeks ago, that in June it will start charging 66c/km at the 42 electronic toll gates erected on the N1, N3, N12, N17, R21 and R24. The tolls cover a distance of about 185km.

Concern was raised by businesses, labour and political parties, about the effect toll fees will have on the poor, the economy and alternative routes. - Sapa
http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/ ... -1.1030525
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

200,000 registered for Gauteng e-tolling

Post by Ron2K »

IOL wrote:As the toll commencement date of February 2012 approaches, some 212,906 Gauteng e-toll account units had been registered by 10 January, three months after the start of e-toll registration, according to the South African National Roads Agency (Sanral).

Sanral said in a statement on Wednesday that registered Gauteng e-road users who have an e-tag fitted to their vehicle would be eligible for all the discounts available to e-tag users including the 31% e-tag discount and frequent user discount. - I-Net Bridge
Source
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I am waiting to see what happens...
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

As am I. When/if the bills start coming I'll start paying...
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Well it has been put on hold - so we shall see what happens.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Again ???
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Yes - it was supposed to start in Feb - not it is not
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Good There is one stupid gate before the airport so I'll need a tag for once in a blue moon that I go there
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"