F1 2011!

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Re: F1 2011!

Post by Siemens »

and also note the gif is also moving in reverse towards the orginal frame. thus of course it will look bouncy. You can see what I'm trying to say when you look at the numbers on the steering wheel or that rev counter.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

All front wings flex, some just more than others. I know last year a number of the teams complained that the RBR had a wing that flexed way too much(I did agree with this). If I were McLaren I would just shut up and copy the RBR design.

@siemens , the road is always going to be bumpy which will also make the front wing move around.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

No just look closer to the gifs. the animation rolls forward, then rolls back for a complete set of the loop. it's the same as making an animation of a guy standing up and then reversing it so that it looks like he is standing up and sitting down continuosly giving the illusion that he is doing a square dance. The gifs does the same thing. The wings goes up and then they reverse it so that it goes down and thus it bounces.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Siemens wrote:No just look closer to the gifs. the animation rolls forward, then rolls back for a complete set of the loop. it's the same as making an animation of a guy standing up and then reversing it so that it looks like he is standing up and sitting down continuosly giving the illusion that he is doing a square dance. The gifs does the same thing. The wings goes up and then they reverse it so that it goes down and thus it bounces.
Those gifs are not accurate at all(no conclusion can be drawn from them), but when on the track the wings will bounce up and down as they do over bumps....We need to look at a slow motion replay of the two cars going over some bumps or kerbs, then we will see if Lewis's claim holds any water.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.f1technical.net/development/321

Onboard shot apparently proving the flex. Its not the wing flexing its the nose... :?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

so I guess that Redbulls wings isn't the problem.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

So maybe McLaren do have something worth complaining about.....
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Not really and according to Whiting its case closed:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6844 ... g-is-legal
Whiting: Red Bull's wing is legal
Thursday 31st March 2011

Charlie Whiting has dismissed claims by Red Bull's rivals that the reigning World Champs are running an illegal front wing.

Following Sebastian Vettel's dominant display in both qualifying for the Australian GP and the Sunday evening race, Lewis Hamilton insisted that the German had an unfair advantage.

According to the McLaren driver, Vettel's wing flexes more than the rules allow.

"Did you see Vettel's front wing?" he said. "It bends down to the ground and gives him about half a second."

However, FIA race director Whiting insists there is nothing wrong with the front wing of the RB7.

"We found nothing unusual," Whiting told The Bild.

"For the front wing, the test conditions were even harder now. Vettel's car was always in order."
The only reason why Mclaren are complaining is because its one piece of the puzzle that they cant reproduce. I still agree with the idea that it is the way the front wing is mounted which is causing the wing to be pushed down at high speeds. I still would not call it flexing though.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Oh well, in a few races time half the field will have wings like RBR have now. That is how F1 is.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Exactly which is why I am concerned about Hamiltons attitude of "FIA fix it or we copy it". That is what F1 is about copying the innovations set down by another team. If Mclaren had not copied Red Bull's exhaust they would be no where but they copied it and gained those extra seconds needed to be competitive. To me it seems Hamilton wants F1 to become like Indy, no innovation and everyone has the same cars.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

yes it does seem that way.......a certain red team think that they are above the law and that nobody can copy them(not that anybody would want to these days). Do you remember the indecent in which McLaren were found in possession of Ferrari documents, those documents were given to McLaren by somebody who was on Ferrari's payroll and all that was conveniently overlooked. McLaren were said to be copying the Ferrari design but that always happens in F1 so I still don't understand why it is such a big deal when you copy Ferrari.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Before the Austra;ian race they had that inside F1 show on and they showed a brief montage of how the race fever was back in the old days. Those drivers really looked like hero's. Everything looked so cool actually.These days they are all just pokerfaced ._.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Siemens wrote:Before the Austra;ian race they had that inside F1 show on and they showed a brief montage of how the race fever was back in the old days. Those drivers really looked like hero's. Everything looked so cool actually.These days they are all just pokerfaced ._.

True, nowadays they are just too glamorous and self-centred. there is just no more fun everybody is just so darn serious these days :(
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://mccabism.blogspot.com/2011/04/ho ... -wing.html
Saturday, April 02, 2011
How Red Bull simulate front-wing aeroelasticity

When it first became apparent in 2010 that Red Bull were using aeroelasticity to generate extra front-wing downforce, a number of eagle-eyed observers pointed out that the Milton Keynes based team had established a relationship with MSC Software in 2009, precisely to develop simulation software capable of representing this type of Fluid-Structure Interaction:
Will snip the rest to generate interest in reading the rest of the article. A very good read and one I recommend to every one who like the technical side of F1...
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Oe, almost forgot about this weekends race!!!! Can't wait!
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

They are off to Malaysia this weekend, I think there is a strong chance it will rain during the race and that will give us a chance to see which cars work in the wet and which don't. If Australia was anything to go by then I think the Ferrari is not a good car in the wet (not much better in the dry either)
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

I hope they both get the worst qualifying times and start nowhere near Button. Button actually does good in wet conditions. His first win was in wet conditions(even though all the leaders crashed making him default leader).
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Yeah, long range forecasts predict a wet/dry race. Just hoping we don't have a repeat of 2009.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

Ron2K wrote:Yeah, long range forecasts predict a wet/dry race. Just hoping we don't have a repeat of 2009.
haven't you learnt that you can't trust meteorologists and their forecasts.... ;)
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

KatrynKat wrote:
Ron2K wrote:Yeah, long range forecasts predict a wet/dry race. Just hoping we don't have a repeat of 2009.
haven't you learnt that you can't trust meteorologists and their forecasts.... ;)
Especially in F1 ;). Remember the only correct forecast is when you stick your head out and look at the sky, Mark Webber anyone? ;)

This weekend is taking forever to get here... :(
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

KatrynKat wrote:
Particularly not the crazy giggling ones. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Ron2K wrote:
KatrynKat wrote:
Particularly not the crazy giggling ones with bunny ears and tail. :P
Fixed it for you ;).
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

OffT.....
my forecasts are not often wrong and i don't have a tail.... only ears...

OT...
didn't they bring out new tyres to be used when the track is wet?
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

/OT

Hey I know what to get KK when I visit! :twisted: leotard and a tail... :twisted:

/OT

Pirelli do have a wet tyre option. They take dry tires and the wets just in case the weather turns for the worst. Follow the link below for more information regarding this years tires:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11829.html
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

MFW I realised it is Wednesday already!