F1 2011!

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: F1 2011!

Post by Anakha56 »

I thought the race was brilliant. Yes Vettel was off on his own but as a young driver he managed it very well at one point it looked like Alonso would catch him however it was not to be. Webber drove brilliantly and it was disappointing to see him struggle on take off on the dirty side of the track but he made up for it. Loved the fight between Hamilton and Button as well as Petrov and Shumacher, DRS made most of these fights to be a non-event since the guys could easily pass on the straight and make it to the corner. Otherwise a good race and I enjoyed watching it.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/692 ... p-forward-
Kubica takes 'another step forward'

Robert Kubica has taken "another step forward" in his recovery from career-threatening injuries, according to Renault team principal Eric Boullier.

The Pole underwent the first of several small operations to "remove the unavoidable adhesions that are affecting the functionality of his forearm and elbow muscles" on Tuesday and his recovery is "entering the second phase, which is heavy rehabilitation aimed to restore functionality".

Team boss Boullier visited Kubica in Italy after the Turkish Grand Prix and only had positive news to share.

"Robert has made another step forward in his rehabilitation process and doctors are pleasantly surprised by the way in which his condition is improving," Boullier is quoted in the Renault website.

"Now, it is a matter of time and even if patience isn't Robert's first quality, he is fully aware that rehabilitation could be quite a long process."

Despite spending nearly three months on the sidelines following his accident, the 26-year-old is being kept up-to-date with the ins and outs at the Enstone-based team.

"We spoke about the latest developments of the car and of the team, and he was also interested to hear more on the details of the R31, tyres and strategies," Boullier added.

"Robert is still very much involved, keeping in touch with his engineers, and we have been keeping him informed of every important decision the team has taken. He may not be with us all of the time this year, but he's very much a part of the Lotus Renault GP family."
http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/692 ... o-DRS-call
Rubens unhappy with Monaco DRS call

Williams driver Rubens Barrichello believes the FIA has erred in agreeing to allow teams to use the Drag Reduction System at the Monaco Grand Prix.

DRS has proved to be very successful and has played a major role in the big increase in the number of overtaking moves so far this season. However, several drives raised concern about using the device in Monte Carlo later this month.

The FIA though decided there were no grounds to ban the use of DRS on the street circuit.

Barrichello, who acts as chairman of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, feels the powers that be made the "wrong" call.

"I just think it is wrong," Barrichello told Autosport.

"I would love the people at the top to sit in the car and try to do the tunnel with the DRS open.

"In my opinion, they are waiting for something bad to happen. And when it happens, they will just say, 'oh, next year we will not have it for Monaco'.

"The drivers have not been listened to right now and I think it is the wrong decision."

The Brazilian fears we could have a number of race incidents due to the DRS.

"I can see a race [filled] with safety cars. If they could listen still: I think Monaco is what it is. It is not overtaking territory," he said.

"Do they think they can introduce overtaking through the DRS? They possibly can, but they might hurt someone. That is a voice from experience."
I agree with Rubens this is a very bad idea. DRS at Monaco has a high chance of ending badly for some of the drivers :(. No run off areas and street circuit barriers = hard crashes. Especially at the end of that straight where you run off straight back onto the track at high speeds that could be a collision in the making. Never mind the bumpy road car surface we might see some cars become planes. I really feel that having DRS in Monaco is a bad idea. What are your thoughts?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

^^ The only way that Siemens and Stiggy will call it a "good race" is if both McLarens lap the rest of the field at least twice, with the two Ferraris finishing behind both HRTs. :P

Agree with Rubens, for precisely the reasons that he stated.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Agreed... Monaco is crazy dangerous as is... no need to push the envelope in that department. Combine the nature of the track with the quick degrading of rubber they have this year and you have an explosive situation. DRS will only worsen the situation considerably. I have to note that I like the way they handle the DRS. Yes it does give a tad of an unfair advantage but then again you won't see a fast driver being held up by a slow one. 1 sec rule for the Win. If you can't keep someone a second behind you you should not be in front in the first place.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Ron2K wrote:^^ The only way that Siemens and Stiggy will call it a "good race" is if both McLarens lap the rest of the field at least twice. :P
Fanbois do be fanbois :P. I understand that the race can now be called boring because Vettel is running away in the front however it is up to the opposing teams to come up with a upgrade that surpasses the Bulls. Look at the massive step Ferrari took forward, Mclaren have been doing small upgrades with the exception of copying the exhaust system of the Bulls. It still makes for a very good season from a technical side. Also this is F1 not Nascar ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

since when do the Blue(Red) Bulls take part in F1 racing.... :scratch:
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

KatrynKat wrote:since when do the Blue(Red) Bulls take part in F1 racing.... :scratch:
:slap:

Stay out of the thread if you cannot contribute :P. Silly female... :P
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

As for what Ron said. I'm not a McLaren fan really. I'm just a Button fan.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Well Button wants Webber to provide the fix for the Vettel rampage.

I really wanted this to be the year of Webber but alas so far Vettel is outperforming everyone. Its quite interesting to see the change in his driving last year this time he was fast but very immature when it came to passing others. This year he has had defended properly and not contact and his form has been stable. I wonder if Schumi had a quite word with him...
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Yeah, I agree with Button on that. If Webber can put more pressure on Vettel there is more chance that Vettel will make a mistake.
I think from what's been going on in the last 2 races that it is better to start P11 than any position below it. P11 allows fresh tires which has provided the most spectacular results. If webber could go from 18th to 3rd, What would happen if he had that same advantage but just at P11 instead. And I just need to mention Kobayashi again in this situation. My opinion: Fresh Tires > Qualifying.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Ron2K wrote:^^ The only way that Siemens and Stiggy will call it a "good race" is if both McLarens lap the rest of the field at least twice, with the two Ferraris finishing behind both HRTs. :P

Agree with Rubens, for precisely the reasons that he stated.
No I want to see the two Ferraris burst into flames :twisted: . DRS at Monaco will be a very bad idea since the track is narrow and there are no run off areas, so be prepared to see many drivers ending up in the barriers :shock: .

BTW I do not want to see the two McLaren's lap the entire field, I want to see them battle for the lead as Hamilton did in china :D
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

I tried racing on Monaco on F1 2010 using the McLaren and I couldnt even manage to complete a legit lap to qualify. That track is just crazy. Much respect to those drivers who has got it much more difficult than a PC game.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

That is why they are called the best drivers in the world, darn I wish I had F1 2010 the only one I have dates back to 1998 in the days of Hakkinen vs Schumacher and when Jordan were a decent team.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

F1 driver in 'glass attack'

2011-05-13 09:32

One of the next pit stops to be made by Adrian Sutil could be in court for attacking a man with a Champagne glass.

The Force India driver apologised after it emerged that he injured Renault team owner Genii's chief executive Eric Lux in China. Sutil's brawl with Lux occured at a night club party in celebration of Lewis Hamilton's win in Shanghai.

Lux was wearing a bandage on his neck during the Turkish F1 GP last Sunday amid rumours that Sutil attacked him with a broken Champagne glass.

COMPLAINT LODGED

It has also been rumoured that Lux required a dozen stitches, that he has suffered hearing problems since the incident, and that Force India driver Sutil may have been drunk.

Sport24.com reports that said Lux had lodged a complaint and that Sutil will have to explain himself in court.
http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/General_ ... k-20110513

I give up with local press. Their articles are way too biased and seemingly unprofessional(Complaint lodged).
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Wow, I did not even hear anything about that :shock: ......and I thought Sutil was decent :? , my respect for him has just gone out the window :o
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

I wont be to quick to believe this article. It seems very far-fetched and we don't really know the circumstances behind this.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stig before you jump to conclusions rather wait for the man to give his reasons. ;)

Anyway a rule has been put in place this season which will see a huge effect on Mclaren, RBR and Ferrari.

http://twitter.com/#!/scarbsf1
But I did hear a rumour about a limit on exhaust flow on the overrun to reduce the blown effect off throttle. Something like 10-15% of max

If true, downforce will be a lot more sensitve to throttle. Teams with aggressive EBDs will struggle (RBR, Ferr, Mac)
http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... try5022521
It is in Technical Directive 15 sent to all teams last week. Exhaust blowing is no longer allowed.
Teams are no longer allowed to control the throttle opening when they throttle off - well, max. throttle is limited to 10% when throttle off. Valid immediately as all technical directives.

It will impact people badly as the exhaust gas mass flow will reduce heavily.
Expect those 3 teams to be a little slower in Spain with Renault and quite possibly Merc stealing the show. Its going to be a interesting race thats for sure...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Why, oh well I guess McLaren, RBR will have to adjust. Yea Spain will be interesting now that the 3 top teams will be a at a bit of a disadvantage.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91481
Teams get reprieve over blown diffusers
By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, May 17th 2011, 21:11 GMT

Formula 1 teams have been given a reprieve to continue using blown diffusers freely from this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT can reveal, after the FIA had a rethink about going ahead with a major change to the regulations.

As reported earlier, the FIA issued a clarification to teams following the Turkish Grand Prix that would have banned them from using clever engine mapping settings to keep gases pumping through the diffuser even when the driver was off-throttle.

Teams had been benefiting from keeping gases flowing through the diffuser at the same rate as when the driver was on throttle, even when he was fully on the brakes. This maximised the downforce benefits gained from the use of a blown diffuser.

However, a directive from the FIA clarified that teams were only allowed to use the throttle settings for increasing torque, not for 'aerodynamic performance' - which effectively banned them from keeping gases pushing through the diffuser off-throttle.

That edict meant teams faced work to tweak their engine settings for this weekend's race at the Circuit de Catalunya, and leading figures - including Red Bull Racing's Christian Horner and Mercedes GP's Ross Brawn - said they were unsure how the competitive order would be affected by the changes.

However, following dialogue between the FIA and the teams, AUTOSPORT can reveal that the governing body decided late on Tuesday not to go through with the change to the blown diffuser regulations for Barcelona.

A high level source indicated that the decision had been taken because a number of 'unforeseen and unintended consequences' of the ban had been brought to the FIA's attention.

It is not clear what these consequences were, but teams that had benefited the most from the blown diffuser regulations may have complained about potential difficulties that they may have faced in making necessary changes to car set-up in such a short space of time.

Although off-throttle usage of blown diffusers remains in place for now, AUTOSPORT understands that the matter has been put to the top of the agenda for the next meeting of F1 think tank, the Technical Working Group.

It is understood that the FIA is keen for the off-throttle usage to be stamped out as soon as it can be implemented without causing further complications for the teams.
I love how they move to ban this instantly but when Mclaren introduced the F-Duct it was allowed and teams came out with dangerous version of it... :roll:
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

I heard that they want to change the engines to 1.6litre supercharged engines?? They're kidding right?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Nope 2013 is the proposed year that the new engines will be running. However there are a lot of roadblocks to get over first so it might not happen. Biggest roadblock so far is the F1 take over with Ferrari being a close second ;).
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Typical FIA, always changing the Rules.... The supercharged engines could be quite interesting. I hope this whole F1 take over blows over soon
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

They exist in a world beyond ours,

Where man and machine become one.

------------------------------

60 years since the odyssey started,

And the age of the racing machine had begun,

Decades followed of emotions pushed to limits,

In the pursuit of the acclaimed number one.

But it takes only the blink of the eye,

For the perfect drive to become undone.

In the beginning their fame was only whispered,

By those who stole a glimpse of the chosen.

But now their fame is embraced by millions,

As they watch the screens everyday of the sun.

In life there is nothing beyond them,

Their spirit will endure till kingdom come.

Their feats remain on the lips of the followers,

As they whisper.

This, is Formula One.
Now if only I could get the intro video...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I think somebody needs to go and give management at multi-choice a swift kick, qualifying is supposed to be on now but........there is nothing but rugby, cricket and golf on the super-sport channels. I hate DSTV, I can only see the live timing on f1.com

And only SS8(Portuguese) has it on. I am pissed off :x :x :x :x
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Ouch sorry to hear that :-(. Go complain on Supersports facebook page. I am currently watching out in mnethd.

Btw Vettel has a kers issue...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

It was on SSMax and you just had to change the language you noobs.