The Equestrian (Horse) Thread!!!

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Rajiv

Re: The Equestrian (Horse) Thread!!!

Post by Rajiv »

Average - 23 degrees Max!!!
"Because I don't say it...don't mean I ain't thinking it!"
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Anyway - scrap that last question...

Who knew that a pony is an actual horse BREED... Some are even bigger than some proper horse breeds. some of the biggest horses are the Percherons - they are not ponies - and sometimes are as tall as about 17hh at the withers only. They are basically thee biggest horses on the planet. The biggest Percheron was 21hh at the withers and a hand is about on average 10 centimeters which in turn is about 2.1 meters at the withers - who would ride a horse that big? I don't think that horse is still alive though.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

imagine what a beauty he must have been.... :)
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

I would want to ride him but nowadays I've taken a particular liking to Friesian horses, Arabs, Thoroughbreds, Danish Warmbloods, Trakehner, Hanoverian, and Anglo-Arabs... That is a lot of horses...
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Friesian:

Anglo - Arab:

Trakehner:

Thoroughbred:

Hanoverian:

Arab:
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

:drools:.... magnificent creatures...
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Technically - I've changed my mind - I like Arabs more.... They were like the foundation for all of today's main horse breeds.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

What's the caramel coloured horse with white mane and tail called?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Toffee?

Or possibly Quarter Pounder . . . - The Rat
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

White mane and tail? Are you referring to one of the horses in the pics that I posted or a different horse?
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Its not in this thread (Yet). I believe it's some kind of breed.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Any horse can have those colours.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Palomino was the word I was looking for. I thought Palomino was a breed.

Palomino

Hotlinked cause I'm too lazy to resize and host :oops:
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

This would be your horse?

Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Compare that to my favourite:

Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Random horse fact:

The unique outline of the Arab is determined by the formation of it's skeleton, which differs from other equine breeds in several respects. The Arab has 17 ribs (other horses have 18); 5 lumbar vertebrae (other horses have 6), and 16 tail vertebrae (other horses have 18).

Imagine if I had less bones than an average person...

This is how an Arab looks:

Notice the face slopes inward...
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Does anybody actually work with horses in this living day and age???
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

What?
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

the youth of today don't know what the Amish are.... not taught in schools anymore....

@Raj: i know freeloader (tho who hardly visits PCF these days..) rides horses and is learning horse care and health and what not....
send him a PM sometime and i will get him to come back and chat to you.... :)
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

Richard_ wrote:Can anybody recommend an area in/near Durban where I could get a half-lease on a horse? Preferably someplace near a large outdoors area so that I can go riding in the bush or on the beach rather than around a track.
Depends on where you live. Their are few places all around Durban I know off. Just depends on where you are so can give closest.
Last edited by freeloader on 13 Mar 2011, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

KatrynKat wrote:the youth of today don't know what the Amish are.... not taught in schools anymore....

@Raj: i know freeloader (tho who hardly visits PCF these days..) rides horses and is learning horse care and health and what not....
send him a PM sometime and i will get him to come back and chat to you.... :)
What she means is this http://www.horsesport.org.za/instructorsplan.htm

Nice thread btw.

*poofs*
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

What does that website mean? Are you doing those courses?
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Yoh.... Just rode a thoroughbred on Saturday... Very cool even though he was very old - at the place where I learn to ride. Very big compared to an Arab.

WHat do you think would be more easier - to jump or to gallop?