M-Net fined for horror promotion

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: M-Net fined for horror promotion

Post by Stuart »

jamin_za wrote:which is not to say they cannot be scared by TV events - just that the chance for lasting damage is negligible.
Agreed, but dealing with the immediate effects is nearly as tiring as worrying about lasting damage.
THE_STIG wrote:They will be exactly the same.....advertisements can't possibly cause problems
Spoken like a true teenager. ;)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:
jamin_za wrote:which is not to say they cannot be scared by TV events - just that the chance for lasting damage is negligible.
Agreed, but dealing with the immediate effects is nearly as tiring as worrying about lasting damage.
:lol:
Yes, from a parents perspective (which I don't have) your argument has much validity
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

The fine should of been around the R5000000 mark, it costs me R5000 to fill my truck with diesel.
Yes, little ones feel fear, not of just the visuals but because of the accompanying sounds of terror, screaming and crying.
If you cannot understand or grasp this, I suggest that you have have a look at little ones who have been brought up in an environment of violence, constant arguing and other parental abuse. Many children are afraid of Barney, Santa and other perceived monsters, take note and sort it out. My grandson gets upset if I shout at taxi drivers but laughs if I hoot, so now I only hoot! :P
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

lancelot wrote:The fine should of been around the R5000000 mark, it costs me R5000 to fill my truck with diesel.
Yes, little ones feel fear, not of just the visuals but because of the accompanying sounds of terror, screaming and crying.
If you cannot understand or grasp this, I suggest that you have have a look at little ones who have been brought up in an environment of violence, constant arguing and other parental abuse. Many children are afraid of Barney, Santa and other perceived monsters, take note and sort it out. My grandson gets upset if I shout at taxi drivers but laughs if I hoot, so now I only hoot! :P
I wish Neka was afraid of Barney. :(
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Bladerunner wrote:
Stuart wrote:I have a three year old who gets nightmares by watching disturbing images she may not understand.
When I was three I was told to shut up and go to bed or I'd get a reason to cry :lol:
We've noticed the emotional scars, yes. ;)

I so wish we lived in a TVless society. My nieces and nephew are addicted to the darn thing. :|
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

doo_much wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:
Stuart wrote:I have a three year old who gets nightmares by watching disturbing images she may not understand.
When I was three I was told to shut up and go to bed or I'd get a reason to cry :lol:
We've noticed the emotional scars, yes. ;)
It's a miracle I turned out to be the well-adjusted individual that I am today. :P
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

It's like we are moving towards the US mentality.
Complaining about small petty things.

Yes, images such as this can be disturbing to younger children and they might have nightmares. Boo-hoo. They will get over it as I did, and I turned out ok.

If M-Net continually showed/advertised these things on a regular basis in those "family" slot times, then fine. Complain. But don't get your panties in a knot about a possible one time thing.

Shees, seems people have nothing else to do than complain complain complain. I get the feeling there is people out there just sitting...waiting for someone to do something wrong and then they gather the town folk, grab their pitchforks and stakes and storm the castle. :roll:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

IcePick88 wrote:I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Yes, images such as this can be disturbing to younger children and they might have nightmares. Boo-hoo. They will get over it as I did, and I turned out ok.

If M-Net continually showed/advertised these things on a regular basis in those "family" slot times, then fine. Complain. But don't get your panties in a knot about a possible one time thing.

Shees, seems people have nothing else to do than complain complain complain. I get the feeling there is people out there just sitting...waiting for someone to do something wrong and then they gather the town folk, grab their pitchforks and stakes and storm the castle. :roll:
You don't have kids, do you?
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

I have a kid and yes there are certain stuff I try to avoid him seeing. however if you keep your kid in the dark and only allowing things like tellitubies and dora the explorer to be seen they get a fear of reality. with that being said... my little monster often scare the living daylights out of me with the things he does in the yard... we will NEVER be able to completely babyproof the world. Yes age restrictions are good but even all ages movies like cartoons have a certain "fear factor" to it. my kid had nightmares about Bruce in finding Nemo...

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Stuart wrote:
IcePick88 wrote:I don't know what all the fuss is about.

You don't have kids, do you?
No I don't but I was not brought up in front of a TV.

You cannot shelter your kids from the world like fallen said. Like my nephews. They were not allowed to watch a movie that was age restricted to 16 until the day they were 16 and now they are so anti-social they would bore you to death just sitting there.

So a good dose of reality is sometimes good.
Prime

Post by Prime »

And yet the same adults who are complaining would happily send their kids to Sunday school and subject them to religious teachings which are full of violence. :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Prime wrote:And yet the same adults who are complaining would happily send their kids to Sunday school and subject them to religious teachings which are full of violence. :lol:
And misogyny and incest and genocide and and and... but thats only vaguely relevant to this discussion

Nice troll tho ;)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

fallen_angel wrote:I have a kid
You do? :shock:
IcePick88 wrote: You cannot shelter your kids from the world like fallen said.
I hate to break it to you, but it is precisely a parent's job to shelter their children from things in the world that will prove harmful to them. If you plan not to shelter your kids from harmful stuff, rather give them up for adoption when they are born. ;)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I agree with mousey - you change once you have kids. You make mistakes and quickly learn that the harmless things are actually very harmful.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote: I hate to break it to you, but it is precisely a parent's job to shelter their children from things in the world that will prove harmful to them. If you plan not to shelter your kids from harmful stuff, rather give them up for adoption when they are born. ;)
Then how are they meant to learn? Granted there are some very dangerous items in the household where baby gloves are required but its the responsibility of the parent to make sure those items are kept away/out of reach of the said child. This whole thing about keeping kids from seeing horror ads well thats just silly but again its age dependent. And in this case airing the promo at 18:00 that is a wrong time but what is on T.V. at 18:00 for kids? If memory serves it's all garbage anyway Egoli and such crud and lets be honest if you have your child watching that you are damaging them anyway, teaching them murder and backstabbing is alright and how to form bad relationships.

/will keep away because this I dont have children and if I did they would be scared beyond all saving anyway...

//we should all just move to China the rate we are going: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa ... 45,00.html
Removing the N Word from Huck Finn: Top 10 Censored Books

As publishers print a new version of Mark Twain's classic 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' without racial slurs, TIME takes a look at other books that have been bowdlerized

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
By Mark Twain Friday, Jan. 07, 2011

In 1885, the Concord Public Library in Massachusetts banned the year-old book for its "coarse language" — critics deemed Mark Twain's use of common vernacular (slang) as demeaning and damaging. A reviewer dubbed it "the veriest trash ... more suited to the slums than to intelligent, respectable people." Little Women author Louisa May Alcott lashed out publicly at Twain, saying, "If Mr. Clemens [Twain's original name] cannot think of something better to tell our pure-minded lads and lasses he had best stop writing for them." (That the N word appears more than 200 times throughout the book did not initially cause much controversy.) In 1905, the Brooklyn Public Library in New York followed Concord's lead, banishing the book from the building's juvenile section with this explanation: "Huck not only itched but scratched, and that he said sweat when he should have said perspiration." Twain enthusiastically fired back, and once said of his detractors: "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." Luckily for him, the book's fans would eventually outnumber its critics. "It's the best book we've had," Ernest Hemingway proclaimed. "All American writing comes from that. There was nothing before. There has been nothing as good since."

Despite Hemingway's assurances, Huckleberry Finn remains one of the most challenged books in the U.S. In an attempt to avoid controversy, CBS produced a made-for-TV adaptation of the book in 1955 that lacked a single mention of slavery and did not have an African American portray the character of Jim. In 1998, parents in Tempe, Ariz., sued the local high school over the book's inclusion on a required reading list. The case went as far as a federal appeals court; the parents lost.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Stuart wrote:
IcePick88 wrote: You cannot shelter your kids from the world like fallen said.
I hate to break it to you, but it is precisely a parent's job to shelter their children from things in the world that will prove harmful to them. If you plan not to shelter your kids from harmful stuff, rather give them up for adoption when they are born. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Village_(2004_film)
It is revealed that the village was actually founded some time in the late 1970s, when Edward Walker, professor of American History at the University of Pennsylvania, approached other people he met at a grief counseling clinic after his father had been murdered. He asked them if they wished to join him in "an idea" he had. From this apparently grew "the village," a secluded town in the middle of a wildlife preserve purchased with Edward's family fortune, a place where they would be protected from any aspect of the outside world.
Reminds me of this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's inevitable that they will sooner or later experience something like these adds, but at least you can explain that the adds are not real.

The real world is far worse. Do they have access to newspapers? Magazines?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

IcePick88 wrote: It's inevitable that they will sooner or later experience something like these adds, but at least you can explain that the adds are not real.
Sooner or later, yes. They will also sooner or later experience traffic. Does that mean I should leave my gate open while she plays outside and if I find her playing in the middle of the highway I should just shrug my shoulders and say that she would have eventually experienced highway traffic anyway?

Are you really naive enough to think that parents do not have the responsibility to protect their children from that which is harmful to them? If so, I SERIOUSLY hope that you never have kids!

As kids get older you allow them exposure to more and more stuff, and then teach them accordingly. That is not the same as indiscriminately allowing them to do whatever they want at any age.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Yes they do find magazines. I really don't think my 5year old needed to know what gay was and why gays kill their lovers (You magazine front cover). You cannot protect them completely - but you can do the best that you can.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

WTF are you doing with a gay mag :shock: :shock: , all gays should be burned.....
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

THE_STIG wrote:WTF are you doing with a gay mag :shock: :shock: , all gays should be burned.....
Tribble wrote:Yes they do find magazines. I really don't think my 5year old needed to know what gay was and why gays kill their lovers (You magazine front cover). You cannot protect them completely - but you can do the best that you can.
Didn't know the You was a gay mag.... :?:
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

Stuart wrote:
Scarry thought :lol: Hes turning 7 this year
Tribble wrote:You cannot protect them completely - but you can do the best that you can.
I could not have said it better myself. The fact of the matter is that WHEN they do come across something disturbing like the ad or Bruce the shark, best to do is be a parent and work through the situation rather than going on a rampage and cursing the creators... like the whole debacle with pokemon and yu-gi-oh being satanistic... which actually turned in court and what happened? It was still showing at the same timeslot

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

The pokemon yu-gi-oh debate, I did not really like either program but I don't think it was satanic
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

The argument they (anglican and methodist churches) raised was that the symbols used in said programs was from the budhist believe and henceforth because it is not christian it has to be satanic... I just started laughing

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

fallen_angel wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Scarry thought :lol: Hes turning 7 this year
Ja, I don't know why, but this took me by surprise. Never pictured a fallen_angel with a kid. :lol:

Just in case you don't get it enough from your family, when are you having the next one? :twisted:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

fallen_angel wrote:The argument they (anglican and methodist churches) raised was that the symbols used in said programs was from the budhist believe and henceforth because it is not christian it has to be satanic... I just started laughing
Me too, how is a cartoon satanic :lol: :lol: