"Reprocessed" chicken?

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: "Reprocessed" chicken?

Post by Bladerunner »

KALSTER wrote:If this practice has been going on for a while and was approved by government, why has nobody complained about it yet? Because we can't tell the difference. Nobody seems to have been any the wiser. No food poisoning or poor taste. So? Come drop off your Supreme chicken at my place, I'll eat it.
The chlorine you ingest might have delayed effects.

EDIT: And chicken is really tasteless these days. It's either my imagination or the chlorine. You really need to spice it up to prevent it tasting like rubber. :P
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

sigh ! whatever happened to that saying. Tastes just like chicken.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Prime

Post by Prime »

Bladerunner wrote:
KALSTER wrote:If this practice has been going on for a while and was approved by government, why has nobody complained about it yet? Because we can't tell the difference. Nobody seems to have been any the wiser. No food poisoning or poor taste. So? Come drop off your Supreme chicken at my place, I'll eat it.
The chlorine you ingest might have delayed effects.

EDIT: And chicken is really tasteless these days. It's either my imagination or the chlorine. You really need to spice it up to prevent it tasting like rubber. :P
I was going to edit my post, but i'll just add onto yours

Rusty you are missing the point. Chlorine destroys cells and causes permanent damage to DNA. It doesn't alter the water and it dissociates fairly quickly, but when used on meat, it will certainly affect the quality of the food.

What the long term affects of ingesting it on humans are, I have no idea. Its like N-Hexane that's used in soy processing. :|
wizardofid wrote:sigh ! whatever happened to that saying. Tastes just like chicken.
It tasts just like turkey...no wait, duck?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Bladerunner wrote:
jamin_za wrote: All the major fast food places KFC, Nandos, Chicken Licken etc use Rainbow so they will be okay to eat from as well...
I saw in a different article that since recently Supreme also supplies chicken to KFC.

Ah yes, here it is: http://www.health24.com/news/DietFood_N ... ,60229.asp
According to an African Business Review report earlier this year, Supreme Poultry now also supplies chicken to KFC and Nando's.
The link in the article is dead...

As far as I know (worked for rainbow chickens as an outsourced techie for 4 years - even filled in on their customer complaints line when they were short staffed) They have exclusive deals with KFC and Nandos.

In fact KFC meat like Zinger patties and nuggets are so processed Rainbow had to open a new plant just to deal with them.
They dont give these fast food chains the chickens raw. They deliver them already battered and marinated, and in Nando's case, par-boiled...
They know KFC's combination of secret herbs and spices and they now how to make Nando's peri-peri sauce...

But believe and article on the web over someone who worked for the company :P
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Prime wrote:Chlorine destroys cells and causes permanent damage to DNA.
i believe this is the entire point... you're also assuming they're soaking these birds in baths of 80% pure chlorine... which is silly... for this to be a legally endorsed application it cannot exceed the dosage guidelines for drinking water... chlorine ingested orally is going to have a hard time making itself felt, (i believe ClO2 is still commonly used in treating halitosis...)

besides which, anyone not rinsing their chicken during preparation is going to have a nastier shock than some intestinal discomfort...

if we want to get all aggravated about chemicals in our food supply, look at your fruit and veg......
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

jamin_za wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:
jamin_za wrote: All the major fast food places KFC, Nandos, Chicken Licken etc use Rainbow so they will be okay to eat from as well...
I saw in a different article that since recently Supreme also supplies chicken to KFC.

Ah yes, here it is: http://www.health24.com/news/DietFood_N ... ,60229.asp
According to an African Business Review report earlier this year, Supreme Poultry now also supplies chicken to KFC and Nando's.
The link in the article is dead...

As far as I know (worked for rainbow chickens as an outsourced techie for 4 years - even filled in on their customer complaints line when they were short staffed) They have exclusive deals with KFC and Nandos.

In fact KFC meat like Zinger patties and nuggets are so processed Rainbow had to open a new plant just to deal with them.
They dont give these fast food chains the chickens raw. They deliver them already battered and marinated, and in Nando's case, par-boiled...
They know KFC's combination of secret herbs and spices and they now how to make Nando's peri-peri sauce...

But believe and article on the web over someone who worked for the company :P
Actually that is why you worked in the call center, and don't deal with the actual production.
KFC does not give out recipes left right and center, especially 3rd world countries, it would be suicide.Plus the same quality chicken would be different from each production center.

So what happens is, and this pertains to KFC specifically their actual batter mixture is premixed and delivered to said production plant.

Never ever will you get a 3rd party with a said secret EVER.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC
The Colonel's secret flavor recipe of 11 herbs and spices that creates the famous "finger lickin' good" chicken remains a trade secret.[13][14] Portions of the secret spice mix are made at different locations in the United States, and the only complete, handwritten copy of the recipe is kept in a vault in corporate headquarters.[15] On September 9, 2008, the one complete copy was temporarily moved to an undisclosed location under extremely tight security while KFC revamped the security at its headquarters. Before the move, KFC disclosed the following details about the recipe and its security arrangements:[16]

* The recipe, which includes exact amounts of each component, is written in pencil on a single sheet of notebook paper and signed by Sanders.[17]
* The recipe was locked in a filing cabinet with two separate combination locks. The cabinet also included vials of each of the 11 herbs and spices used.
* Only two executives had access to the recipe at any one time. KFC refuses to disclose the names and titles of either executive.[18]
* One of the two executives said that no one had come close to guessing the contents of the secret recipe, and added that the actual recipe would include some surprise
So oops on your part.Same applies to coke for example the premix syrup is shipped to a bottling plant like ABI where it is then bottled.

Sigh! your naivety surprises me some times.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

I have seen the mix that KFC sends to Rainbow - not that I could make any sense of it, or tried to.
It all comes separate and there are 3 or 4 people at Rainbows P1 plant in Hammarsdale that mix it to make the batter.

They know the herbs and spices and what combinations to use. They also sign non-disclosure agreements regarding this and both the workers and Rainbow itself will be liable for large sums should they ever spill the beans.

But as I said before, please go ahead and believe Wiki articles...

And enjoy the stale old reprocessed chicken you have been eating all these years - that might actually explain some of your peculiarities
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

jamin_za wrote:I have seen the mix that KFC sends to Rainbow - not that I could make any sense of it, or tried to.
It all comes separate and there are 3 or 4 people at Rainbows P1 plant in Hammarsdale that mix it to make the batter.

They know the herbs and spices and what combinations to use. They also sign non-disclosure agreements regarding this and both the workers and Rainbow itself will be liable for large sums should they ever spill the beans.

But as I said before, please go ahead and believe Wiki articles...

And enjoy the stale old reprocessed chicken you have been eating all these years - that might actually explain some of your peculiarities
You know what dude I am not even going waste my time on this matter....as you clearly have a better understanding of risking trade secrets.Please check with your sources, the batter mixture or least part of it is premixed.....
They know the herbs and spices and what combinations to use.
They don't, they know how to mix the mixture, but they don't know the actual ingredients nor the quantities of said mixture.

Actually let me explain it like this.

There would be a dry mixture and a wet mixture it is very likely that the dry mixture that is send is the actual spices and herbs ect, however the flour and likely bread crumbs and baking powder what ever is additional added is known to the the plant, shipping every thing premixed is insane.

the have clear instructions to mix one packet of KFC mixture with one packet of flour one packet on this ect,

The wet mixture is also known to the plant as it would contain milk and egg ect.

So either way they do not know the recipe period......

My brother has his master degree in food technology, and worked for IFF that supplied colorants and flavours to factories that produce mixtures for 3rd parties.Even freaking cat food likes whiskas has trade secrets and pre-mixtures.

He was ABI's plant chemist, he was promoted to regional plant chemist.

but yeah whatever.You know better. :) :)
Last edited by wizardofid on 21 Dec 2010, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

as I said, I never saw how they mixed it, no-one really did, I saw it come in dry in different bags.
As for protecting trade secrets, I could not WIKI-leak them if I wanted to, the guys who knew the mix used to laugh at us when we asked them questions - they took it pretty seriously, as did Rainbow.

none of the information I have divulged here is not somewhere in the public domain, you just have to look past Wikipedia articles edited by KFC staff :P
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

jamin_za wrote:as I said, I never saw how they mixed it, no-one really did, I saw it come in dry in different bags.
As for protecting trade secrets, I could not WIKI-leak them if I wanted to, the guys who knew the mix used to laugh at us when we asked them questions - they took it pretty seriously, as did Rainbow.

none of the information I have divulged here is not somewhere in the public domain, you just have to look past Wikipedia articles edited by KFC staff :P
check the edit. :) :) :D

Hope it better explains.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Yeah, I only saw different bags come in...
The guys who did the mixing wouldn't tell me anything, so if everything happens the way you describe in your edit, you just told me more in one forum post than any Rainbow staff member in about 4 years of working for them.

As an aside, if you wanted the KFC batter, the guys were more than happy to give you as much of it as you wanted once they had mixed it all up... ditto the nando's marinate
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

jamin_za wrote:Yeah, I only saw different bags come in...
The guys who did the mixing wouldn't tell me anything, so if everything happens the way you describe in your edit, you just told me more in one forum post than any Rainbow staff member in about 4 years of working for them.

As an aside, if you wanted the KFC batter, the guys were more than happy to give you as much of it as you wanted once they had mixed it all up... ditto the nando's marinate
Thanks, KFC is cooked in far too much trans saturated fats, leading cause of some cancers and heart attacks.As for nando's having seen their par cooked chicken standing in marinates under neath the griller for most on the day in less than hygienic conditions.

In fact I avoid KFC, nando's , Steers, and especially Spur. The only one with proper standards and regular franchise spot checks is wimpy, but with sucky service as of late.

And since I have worked in all those places, as well as a large meat supplier that supplies meat to said places, there are a few more places to avoid....

Well now that I think about this brine solution that they are injecting into the reprocessed chickens, would technically weigh also more and you would be paying for that as well....which should get them slapped with a fine as well.

Goldi chickens have been doing the same with their chicken pieces by injecting them with brine.

So we have been avoiding them as well.It is sad to see companies wanting to maximize profit at the expense of the consumer, with less than honest production ethics and adverts.

*edit*
FFS !
Last edited by wizardofid on 21 Dec 2010, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Rainbow also inject their chickens with brine when they flash freeze them - although this is more to protect the meat than cheat customers, although it was not uncommon to hear customers complain about buying a 2.2kg bird and then having a 1.5kg bird after defrosting it :lol:

Rainbow actually had to put a message on their labels to say the weight of the bird will change after defrosting...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

wizardofid wrote:less than honest production ethnics
yeah... damn those dishonest ethnics :lol:

on a more serious note: you believe corporations exist to comply with some sort of ethical standard?...

last i checked, it's all about the EBITDA... everything else is fluff and marketing.... :/
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:
Hahahaha!
That made my day!
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

rustypup wrote:

on a more serious note: you believe corporations exist to comply with some sort of ethical standard?...

last i checked, it's all about the EBITDA... everything else is fluff and marketing.... :/
ethics ! Sigh ! :( but you know what is was saying !! :P At least every now and then they pay for it, like tiger brands. R500 million back to the consumer...

Pup FTW ! :lol: :lol:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

why is the best stuff always buried in the comments section... i would happily stab a number of them just to prevent their genes from infecting humanity... i realise this may be considered a little anti-social but:
Typical of white tendancy.
<...>
This is unethical and probably illegal.
<....
Hell hath no fury like a white man scorned.
it's almost as if they lack the ability to comprehend what it is they're babbling about... does the ANCYL endorse reading the sunday times?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

rustypup wrote:why is the best stuff always buried in the comments section... i would happily stab a number of them just to prevent their genes from infecting humanity... i realise this may be considered a little anti-social but:
Typical of white tendancy.
<...>
This is unethical and probably illegal.
<....
Hell hath no fury like a white man scorned.
it's almost as if they lack the ability to comprehend what it is they're babbling about... does the ANCYL endorse reading the sunday times?
Actually was hoping that you read the comments, didn't want to mention any thing about it......
At least it proves there are more retarded people out there than my self..... :P :)
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Gonna go order a Zinger burger from KFC tonight and ask for fresh non-reprocessed chicken :P But I suspect that they are reprocessing their chips. Those things doesn't taste right anymore.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

StarBound wrote:Gonna go order a Zinger burger from KFC tonight and ask for fresh non-reprocessed chicken :P But I suspect that they are reprocessing their chips. Those things doesn't taste right anymore.
Well those chips are dry par cooked and then a chemical added that protects it from colouring and going all mushy when frozen and deep fried.....
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

I've experienced this chicken. Had one bite of it and it was just the worst thing I've tasted. My mom bought it for me while I was studying because I was gyming and wanted chicken more. So she saw a nice sale at checkers for less than R10 for 2 chicken breasts. The worst food ever.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Prime

Post by Prime »

rustypup wrote:
Prime wrote:Chlorine destroys cells and causes permanent damage to DNA.
i believe this is the entire point... you're also assuming they're soaking these birds in baths of 80% pure chlorine... which is silly... for this to be a legally endorsed application it cannot exceed the dosage guidelines for drinking water... chlorine ingested orally is going to have a hard time making itself felt, (i believe ClO2 is still commonly used in treating halitosis...)

besides which, anyone not rinsing their chicken during preparation is going to have a nastier shock than some intestinal discomfort...

if we want to get all aggravated about chemicals in our food supply, look at your fruit and veg......
I'm not sure I want to know :|

At this rate, the only meat I'm going to eat is Karoo mutton from my cousins farm :lol: Somebody is going to put me off pork sooner or later and I can't eat beef steak, it makes me ill.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Siemens wrote:I've experienced this chicken. Had one bite of it and it was just the worst thing I've tasted. My mom bought it for me while I was studying because I was gym-ming and needed to eat more chicken. So she saw a nice sale at checkers for less than R10 for 2 chicken breasts. The worst food ever.
Fixed that for you.

Prime, put a pork chop in a dish and pour some Coke on it. After about an hour come back and check on your chop, then post your findings here.

Edit: post some pics as well.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

I'm pissed off because I prefer chicken to steak and I always bought my chicken at Pick And Pay. GRRR!!!

Irritated.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.