Do you (or would you) donate blood?

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.

Would you participate in a PCF blood drive?

Yes
52%
No
22%
I can't donate blood
26%

Total votes: 27

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Do you (or would you) donate blood?

Post by Stuart »

So the English Spam Thread has a reputation for randomness. Today was no exception. I have been appointed on the behalf of PCF English SpammersTM to create this thread to gauge interest.

Some time ago--a long time ago actually, back in the days when Cameron was active and Tamsin was brushing off requests to appear on the cover of the magazine--we as a forum sponsored a kennel at the SPCA. Forumites were invited to donate toward a kennel at a local SPCA and a plaque was eventually made (I believe) acknowledging PCF as the sponsors of that particular kennel.

So we love animals. Even cats. What about human life?

I'm sure that many here donate blood already, and many have said that they used to "and really should start again." I for one am dead scared of needles and have never donated blood in my life. However . . .

If we (just for fun--and for a good cause) had a PCF blood drive, who would consider going to donate? Let's say for example sometime in mid-December, just in time for the mad Christmas rush, anyone who is willing finds their local blood bank and donates blood. We could have an inter-provincial contest to see which is the bloodiest province on the forum. We could even try to twist Nab's arm to include photos in the magazine of KB giving blood. (How many of you wouldn't want to see that?) Okay, the other staff too. (Drakonis could fill up KB's car with petrol the day before so there are no excuses.)

So, vote above. Do you care enough about blood supply to take part in such an effort? We're not looking for rewards or acknowledgement or anything, just supporting a worthy cause. I've even enabled revoting in case you change your mind. ;)

(I've resisted the urge to add some silliness to the poll.)
lancelot

Re: Do you (or would you) donate blood?

Post by lancelot »

I would have as go.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I would support it by spreading the word, but I can't donate blood.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Monty wrote:I would support it by spreading the word, but I can't donate blood.
Hmm, I didn't think about those who can't. I've added an option for that so you don't have to seem callous by saying no. :P

Edit: Argh . . . adding options seems to reset the polls. :x Is it supposed to do that? :oops:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I am answering the question in the header "Do you (or would you) donate blood?" and the answer is no. As a PCF drive I might do it again but after having my arm mauled to find the vein and in a different instance being left way to long so the blood was coming back in my arm I decided to call it quits. I used to donate on a regular basis but after numerous incidents I refuse to do it.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DeathPing

Post by DeathPing »

I use Epilim and, thus, I am unfortunately not allowed to donate blood. If it hadn't been for my medical condition, I would! So... all you others out there that CAN bleed, please do! It's almost like paying your TV license, except: it's the bloody right thing to do! :thumbup:
The keyboard is mightier than the pen!
When the last guitar string goes "Ping!", that is when Death will stop to sing...
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

No thanks.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Stuart wrote:Edit: Argh . . . adding options seems to reset the polls. :x Is it supposed to do that? :oops:
Yes. Built-in feature to stop you from rigging polls. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

i do donate blood, and did today, that's where the discussion started.... :oops:
someone else's blood saved my life when i was born thus i save someone else's life in return....!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

long time donor... would have to avoid my november bleed, but that should be fine...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I can't either, but everyone else should!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
jee

Post by jee »

They do not really want my blood because of the meds i'm on, but i will donate - they can always use the plasma for other things.

Anakha, i think it depends on where you donate. I have really bad veins, a drip cannot stay in for longer than 12 hours - but yeah... i like the idea of adding to the greater good;)

As Katryn said, her life hung in the balance and it was only the blood from other people (i donated 24 hours after giving birth) that saved her. I can never explain to anyone how one feels 12 hours after giving birth to see your child taped on a wooden cross with a dr taking 30ml blood out, and replacing it with 30 ml new.. then the next and so on until all her blood was replaced. Not once, but three times...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I tried 4 times over a 10 year period and what do you know... I passed out 4 times.
3 times in the army, they see any excuse as an attempt to dodge the issue.
1 time a year ago, I thought it would be fine after the long time.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Never tried, I think I would pass out. Will try soon though cos it's a very worthwhile thing to do...

I am an organ donor though...
jee

Post by jee »

now Ryan, that is one thing i cant bear to think about - unless my child or my sister needs a part there is no ways that i will be able to sit up on my cloud and look down and see "there goes my lungs".. "oh, is that not my eye?"

You can try for this session :)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Unless you want pictures of Prime passed out (and I don't), I'll decline. (And I am on chronic allergy medication anyway :( )

However, if you all do it on the same day, I'll be sure to bring along a permanent marker :whistling:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I would. I'm leaving for Canada around the 20th of December though, so I can only join you guys if it's before the 20th :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
jee

Post by jee »

I think we will have to do it over a few days - its not all that easy to find a place where to donate if you are not a regular.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I will definitely join. Donated gallons ;-) in the past. I aim to break my dad's record :D I might have to do it earlier than the rest of you - or join those in KZN that will be donating.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm not thinking like a forum meat or anything. If you're leaving for Canada just do it before you go. All I'm thinking is make a commitment to do it and then sometime in December go give blood and add your name and province to the list in the thread that is open for that purpose. Do it at your own leisure. It'll just be fun to see how many will donate to a worthy cause. The only reason I suggested mid-December is because KK, having donated today, cannot do so again before then.

A question to the regular donors: Is there a screening process before you give? I mean, they'd have to test for anemia, HIV, etc. first, surely?
jee

Post by jee »

Stuart wrote:I'm not thinking like a forum meat or anything.
A question to the regular donors: Is there a screening process before you give? I mean, they'd have to test for anemia, HIV, etc. first, surely?
erm we just want your blood, not your flesh...
yip, they ask all questions and whatever you do LIE - you NEVER EVER fill in that you had more than one sleeping partner in the last 3 months... :shock:

they also test the blood before its used, and in some instances they use it for other reasons..
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Nope = you fill in a really long form and state that you know they will test for HIV but that you are not donating to have the test. They then prick your finger to see that your iron content is good (has to do with health so get a good night's sleep and eat before you go). Be honest on the paper as it is hard to remember what lies you told last time - and the truth - well it remains the truth. You also sign a declaration to state that it is the truth. Don't go if you are pregnant or have had dental surgery that week or the week prior. If you have taken a pain pill - mention it. It makes a difference to the blood and you don't want them to throw it out after you went to all the trouble.

Mousey - because of their strict rules - I think that even if someone is told they cannot donate, they should get credit for being willing to. I work late nights and have been refused once or twice because the blood did not make a nice ball or fell too slowly. They told me to get some rest and come back. So if they go to donate - but are told for whatever reason that they cannot - they should be able to take credit for going through that whole process and being willing to give. It is disappointing enough being turned away.
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

Yeah all they pre-test you on is your Iron count. Further than that everything is covered on the questionaire. Oh and be honest... The lab will prove you wrong. I'm on cronic medication aswell. they can still use the white and red blood cells. they just mark your blood to ensure they dont use the plateletts. AND EAT BEFORE YOU GO!!!!!!! or you will pass out if you don't take care

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jee wrote:whatever you do LIE - you NEVER EVER fill in that you had more than one sleeping partner in the last 3 months... :shock:
Um . . .
Tribble wrote:Don't go if you are pregnant
So I should get tested first?
Tribble wrote:Mousey - because of their strict rules - I think that even if someone is told they cannot donate
We're not really doing this for credit. ;)
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Um yeah - to see which is the bloodiest province. We most definitely are in it for the notoriety ;-)