Star Wars history and general discussion

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Star Wars history and general discussion

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Since there seems to be some interest in the subject and I've read quite a few books and websites, and played a lot of Star Wars games I figured I might start up a dedicated thread...

The history of the sith( very short summary, it goes on for thousands of years... )

There were Jedi who left the Jedi order and used the Dark side of the force for their own gains. They found the world Korriban, on which there was a race of reptillian like people, who were called the Sith. The Dark Jedi inhabited this world and made the sith their slaves. So the Dark Jedi were then referred to as Sith Lords.

A war broke out between the Jedi and the sith, the sith being greedy and lusting for power, fought amongst each other as well as fighting the Jedi. At the final battle of the Jedi vs. Sith wars on Ruusan, nearly all the sith died and came close to extinction, but one Sith survived, he was called Darth Bane.

Darth Bane realised that the sith's own weakness was their thirst for power and started a new sith order with rules that decreed that there can only be two sith at a time : a master and an apprentice. Once the apprentice becomes more powerful than the master, he kills his old master and takes on a new apprentice. The cycle carried on for a thousand years, until we get to the time of Episode 1 where we meet Darth Sidious and Darth Maul. Of course you pretty much know how the story goes from there.

Any questions? :D

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
sean4e

Post by sean4e »

Glad to see you took my advice. :)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

sean4e wrote:Glad to see you took my advice. :)
We aim to please! :P

some more useless bits and pieces

The title Darth stands for Dark Lord of the Sith

Darth Vader and Darth Sidious are both sith lords - the actual sith race who lived on Korriban thousands of years ago were extinct, so anyone who is a dark Jedi and has the name Darth (something) is referred to as a sith. Count Dooku in Episode 2 is also a sith, called Darth Tyranus, as was Darth Maul.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
sean4e

Post by sean4e »

Wow very informative, sounds like that would have made a good movie! (The battle of the jedi vs. sith) You must really love Star Wars to remember all of that!
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Creatures that are immune to the force :

Ysalamari are salamander type creatures that can repel the force. They create bubbles in which the force is absent... They do this because they come from a world called Myyrkr where predators, called Vornskrs hunt using the force. So the Ysalamari's ability to repel the force is a defence mechanism. If a jedi is caught in these force bubbles, they are powerless.

Yuuzhan Vong is a race of alien warriors from another part of the Star Wars galaxy that are immune to the force. They invade the new republic and Luke's jedi academy about 20-30 years after the story of Return of the Jedi.

Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Poor Luke! After all he went through, only to find out the force can be meaningless. I sure hope there's a happy ending to this one. :cry:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
sean4e

Post by sean4e »

So did one person write all of the books that happen after the return of the jedi, or is there a range of authors that have contributed to the continuation of the Star Wars story?
Snail

Post by Snail »

Im loving this....can you tell me all about yoda... and just how good is he.

PLEASE :D :D :D onlyonekenobi
Last edited by Snail on 31 Mar 2004, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

brabham wrote:In episode 2 when Yoda fights count Dooku he is able to absorb the electrical force energy which Dooku tries to fire at him. Also Dooku is unable to beat him with the lightsaber. Why did Yoda not go fight the emperor himself in the later battles like in episode 6? Why did he leave it to a weakling like Luke? I mean lets face it, were it not for Vader the emperor would have killed Luke and the saga would have continued with possibly Leia having to struggle to beat the emperor. And who would have trained Leia since all the Jedi would be dead? Besides she would have been too old.

Just some Star Wars questions I had.
Brab, it is speculated that Yoda and the Emperor ( Darth Sidious ) will fight in Episode 3. Yoda cannot beat him, and realised only the Chosen one can. They left it to Luke because they were counting on him to turn Darth Vader to the light side so that Anakin can take out the Emperor.

Leia was only plan B for the Jedi. If Luke was killed or turned in The Empire Strikes Back ( remember he left before Yoda finished his training ), there would be no hope left except trying to train Leia. Remember that the Jedi have nothing to lose.

brabham

Post by brabham »

double post :?
Last edited by brabham on 31 Mar 2004, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

sean4e wrote:So did one person write all of the books that happen after the return of the jedi, or is there a range of authors that have contributed to the continuation of the Star Wars story?
It's a whole lot of different authors but their stories need to be submitted to Lucasfilm and then they are approved or changes are suggested.

brabham

Post by brabham »

OnlyOne this thread is a great idea. The force has revealed to me that it will become the most posted in thread on this forum. ;)

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Y0da wrote:Poor Luke! After all he went through, only to find out the force can be meaningless. I sure hope there's a happy ending to this one. :cry:
The interesting thing is that dark side powers do seem to work on the Yuuzhan Vong, powers like lightning and choke. Sometimes Force push also works. Another problem for the jedi is that the Y V wear techno organic body armour which is resistant to lightsabers.
Last edited by OnlyOneKenobi on 31 Mar 2004, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Sacred_Snail wrote:Im loving this....can you tell me all about yoda... and just how good is he.

PLEASE :D :D :D onlyonekenobi
Sorry Snail but Yoda is pretty much a mystery, nobody knows for sure what race he is or what planet he comes from but it is speculated that Yoda's full name is Yoda d' Khana the Whill. ( Whill being his species. )

As you know he's about 900 when he dies in ROTJ and kicks butt with a lightsaber and is probably the most powerful Jedi in known Star Wars history...

brabham

Post by brabham »

I thought that Jedi are not allowed to marry and have children, how is it then that Luke has a son?

Also, with Vader(the apprentice) and Sidious(the master) both dead there is then "finally" no-more sith?

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

resistant but not immune right.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Snail

Post by Snail »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:
Brab, it is speculated that Yoda and the Emperor ( Darth Sidious ) will fight in Episode 3. Yoda cannot beat him, and realised only the Chosen one can. They left it to Luke because they were counting on him to turn Darth Vader to the light side so that Anakin can take out the Emperor.
Does that mean yoda loses,or rather that it is a tie between the Emperor and yoda.??
sean4e

Post by sean4e »

I think you might need to hire some help to answer all these questions OnlyOneKenobi.

So in response to the answer you gave me to the star wars books earlier - does that mean you could write your own star wars book and submit it to to Lucasart for approval?
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

brabham wrote:I thought that Jedi are not allowed to marry and have children, how is it then that Luke has a son?

Also, with Vader(the apprentice) and Sidious(the master) both dead there is then "finally" no-more sith?
Luke doesn't follow the rules of the old Jedi order, I don't think he even knew about the forbidden attachment thing. Also the first people that he trained as Jedi were all adults.

With Vader and the Emperor dead, there are no sith left.

OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:resistant but not immune right.
Nope not completely immune.

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

to his knowledge
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Re: Training Leia

Leie becomes a great Jedi, but she becomes a diplomat. She was never and is never a great fighter, so she would probably have been a very slim hope in the case of Luke's failure.

I also think it's kind of ironic that Vader upholds Sith tradition in killing his master. Of course, he makes quite a sharp break from it in not then taking Luke as his apprentice, which I think was the plan all along.
Last edited by Synkronos on 31 Mar 2004, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Sacred_Snail wrote:
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:
Does that mean yoda loses,or rather that it is a tie between the Emperor and yoda.??
I don't know, personally I think Yoda loses and the Emperor thinks Yoda is dead, that is why Yoda is able to go into hiding on Dagobah.

brabham

Post by brabham »

sean4e wrote:I think you might need to hire some help to answer all these questions OnlyOneKenobi.
As we learn so shall we teach. ;)

OnlyOne the dark side does seem to be terribly powerful. If one considers that only two sith are capable of hiding the creation of the clone army from the Jedi Council, in fact even from Yoda himself. who as you said yourself is probably the most powerful Jedi to have lived.

WOW into two pages already! :)

OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

sean4e wrote:I think you might need to hire some help to answer all these questions OnlyOneKenobi.

So in response to the answer you gave me to the star wars books earlier - does that mean you could write your own star wars book and submit it to to Lucasart for approval?
I guess you could but you would have to know Star Wars history very well since you shouldn't contradict something that was written in another book.