AGV GP-Tech review (some fairly large pics)

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Screeper

AGV GP-Tech review (some fairly large pics)

Post by Screeper »

I was given my AGV GP-Tech – Rossi Dreamtime (no. 407 of 2500) as a present last year October.
After wearing AGV’s flagship lid for the last few months here are my thoughts.. for what they’re worth :wink:

Size: Seems like the GP-Techs are sized quite small. I am usually a medium in the cranium stakes but this AGV is a large and it fits me perfectly. So opt for one size up if you’re looking at one of these puppies.

Fit/Comfort: Initially slightly tight (as new helmets are supposed to be) but after a week or so the helmet is an absolute pleasure to wear. My previous helmet was an AGV X-Vent, an elite helmet in its time, but this GP-Tech is in another realm when it comes to comfort. I have also owned a Shoei which was an exceedingly pleasant helmet but again the GP-Tech is far better.
One of the designs I like is that they have made the padding round the ears far more accommodating. Previous helmets tended to squash my ears a bit but with the GP-Tech it seems AGV have attended to that little problem. However by giving your ears more breathing room they have allowed more road/wind noise to reach you. Nothing serious but it is noticeable.

Airflow: The GP-Tech has the usual venting and exhaust systems, and as usual with helmet manufacturers, they claim to have increased airflow in the helmet etc. To be fair the vents and exhausts do work better than previous designs, but at sub-60km/h the vents are pretty much useless. A small lift of the visor is required to receive some cool air. At 80Km/h + things get better. With all the vents open at max I can feel the air coming into the helmet.

Finish:
Exterior – The artwork and paint are really top notch – whether you like the Dreamtime design or not, the quality of the spray job is incredible. Typical spots where you can sometimes pick up spray problems on complex designs are where the air vents meet the actual shell but there are no such miss-alignments on the GP-Tech. The paint job is simply superb.

Interior – I wish I could pour as much praise on the interior as I have with the exterior. Sadly the Italian factory have missed a few beats here.
The neck roll has (or rather I should say 'had') some lovely red velvet ‘AGV’ logos on it. You can see in pic below where they were (only the grey ‘AGV’ lettering is now visible). I mean honestly! Who decides that red velvet on the bottom of a helmet is a good idea? A location that will see more dirt, scuffing and nicking than any other place on the helmet! Within a week I had caught one of the velvet A’s on a small splinter and plucked it clean off :cry: . After weeping loudly and then cursing the design I decided to pull off the rest. They came off very easily which only goes to show that they would have been snicked off in the not too distant future.
I see that in subsequent GP-Techs, AGV have not included the red velvet lettering.
Another problem with the neck roll is the seam stitching does not seem to up to scratch. Have a look closely at the picture and you can see I have had to repair one of the seams myself with a bit of thread (right hand-side as you look at the pic). Kind of disappointing when one considers the price of these helmets.
Again I see that AGV Europe/Asia/USA are offering new neck rolls free of charge - not free in SA though :(
New GP-Techs now come with a more robust seam design.
So I guess if you are currently looking at a new GP-Tech you need not worry about those two concerns as they appear to have been addressed by AGV.

Visor : My Dreamtime came with a spare dark tinted visor as well as the usual clear one. Can’t say I’ve done much riding with the tinted visor as there is always that risk that darkness will fall and you’re still out on the bike. As I’m sure all you bikers know, tinted visor and night time do not work well. What can I say about the clear visor… well.. um.. it’s clear so I can see through it ;p
Removing and attaching the visor is not as slick and easy as on my previous Shoei. However they have improved over their earlier AGV designs which could only be described as agricultural :P I have to say the first few tries on the GP-Tech it was not that simple but once you get the hang of it you can change visors with minimal fuss.
The click-stops on the visor are strong enough to keep the visor fully open (or any setting in-between) even at high speeds.

Strap : As with all helmets used in racing the strap has the regulation D-buckles to fasten the helmet securely. Nothing really special about it as it is pretty much the same for any helmet you buy these days. Strap is comfy though, doesn’t choke at high speeds or anything like that.

Carry Case: came with a good carry bag, nicely padded to prevent any nasty bumps and scratches.

Recommend it? Of course! It is a phenomenal helmet. Easily the most comfortable and well-made helmet I have ever owned - plus Valentino uses one so it is quite obviously made of win ;)

Some piccies..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Sojourn

Re: AGV GP-Tech review (some fairly large pics)

Post by Sojourn »

all nice, but... dude... wtf is that busy "Dreamtime" colors?
EBM aught to smack the person making the choice right into the amberlamps for choosing it.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

The Dreamtime is certainly a love/hate sort of design.
People I've met either think it is awesome (like me :P ) and others think it is revolting.

It was designed by Valentino Rossi (MotoGP World Champ) and Aldo Drudi (helmet design genius http://www.drudiperformance.com/). Dreamtime is based on the aboriginal art from Australia. This particular design was put on a modern art display in the Netherlands when the helmet was released.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

It looks like a colorblind eye test.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I love it!!!
I want one :D
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

You are clearly a man of style Frozenfire ;)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Very nice lid! It's time for me to upgrade, but I think this is quite out of my price range :P Marushin here I come
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Way out of my price range as well, would never have been able to buy it myself.
Marushin make great helmets.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I don't like Rossi, and I don't like that colour scheme, but I would not mind a lid of that caliber, not at all :)
I have to get myself a new lid too, but first I have about 13 grand to fork over for new valves :x
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Personal favourite: Marushin Tiger
Temporary Absence
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

:? What's this Marushin? Never even heard of it... :oops:
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Japanese company, been around since the 1950's. They make some excellent helmets and are usually very competitively priced.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Its sooo much better then those Eastrand mohawk stick on hair jobs that everyone keeps ranting on about :/

maybe we should post our favourite helmet designs here?
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Frozenfireside wrote: maybe we should post our favourite helmet designs here?
Good idea! Well I guess you guys already know what my fave design is.
So over to the rest of you..
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I love Giro Helmets (ok, fine, not quite motorbike helmet)

Ionos
Saros
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

So, what are your views on lids with built-in bluetooth?
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

I can't say I've tried one.
Although a few of my friends have them. Some think they're brilliant. Others find that they are distracted by it and only use them on long road trips on the open road and not when they're splitting lanes of traffic during rush hour.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I saw one with built-in Bluetooth A2DP- with rider to rider communication and stereo music streaming capabilities. But now I have to wonder about audio quality. :?
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

The streaming music idea is probably not too great - I know helmets are pretty well insulated against sound, but you can still hear some of what's happening in the surroundings, which improves your awareness of the surroundings and is safer for you. Music blaring will just serve as a distraction and block out important noises
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I have decided I want a new lid as well now, so this is first option (if I can actually find the frikken thing)

Nolan N62 Melandri Rep, or I'll settle for the Stoner one.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Im more of a Shoei fan...i 3 already and 2 of them was XR1000.
been in one hectic accident with the blue one and it did its Job 100% :-) so im sticking with SHOEI

Old XR1000 (had accident with it)

My current one

My Very Old one (still have it)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Shoei lids are awesome no doubt, but they cost much more than the Nolan, and offer pretty much the same protection. I can pick up a second hand Suomy Vandal for R2000 though, but it has a little nick on the paintwork, and might not fit my head. But that helmet is beastly.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Dude second hand is not the way you wanna be going when it comes to protecting your Brains !! rather save up and get a decent lid
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

A helmet that's only been worn 3 or 4 times vs. A helmet that's the exact same, but costs R1500-2000 extra. Yeah I don't see the difference. As long as the helmet as not been in an accident, or dropped, there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm still not buying the Suomy tho as it's a large, and my head isn't.