2010 Soccer World Cup

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Sojourn

Re: 2010 Soccer World Cup

Post by Sojourn »

LOL :)
What the rat fail to mention is the 2nd part of my post he so gestapo-like cleaned out.
I also said never-mind the braai thing, vuvuselas are NOT tradition...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Well if braaivleis isn't tradition anymore , then I suppose vuvuzela's can go to :D
Prime

Post by Prime »

jamin_za wrote:Ignorant sluice gate.... why I oughta....

:lol:

I don't know why he's so mad, he probably only got tickets to a Bafana match. I'd be mad too!

Anyway, considering burning meat over a fire to be a national heritage basically says we are cave men. And everyone knows they are only one step ahead of sluice gates on the evolutionary ladder.
We might as well also celebrate wearing clothes, speaking a language and not being eaten by animals.
Well this is Africa so the probability of being eaten is high. :P
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

jamin_za wrote:Well if braaivleis isn't tradition anymore , then I suppose vuvuzela's can go to :D
:slap:
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

jamin_za wrote:Ignorant sluice gate.... why I oughta....
:lol:
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ok, I've changed my mind, I will be attempting to get tickets to to see the Netherlands, Germany or Denmark Play :plotting:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Good luck with that
Prime

Post by Prime »

Park and Ride facilities if anyone is curious:

http://www.joburg.org.za/fifaworldcup/c ... /3374/312/

Edit:

quick question: when they say category 4 tickets are behind the goals, how much of behind the goals is category 4? If someone wants to illustrate it, here are a wealth of pictures
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

I'll be attending the Argentina/Korea game on 17 June.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Prime wrote:Park and Ride facilities if anyone is curious:

http://www.joburg.org.za/fifaworldcup/c ... /3374/312/

Edit:

quick question: when they say category 4 tickets are behind the goals, how much of behind the goals is category 4? If someone wants to illustrate it, here are a wealth of pictures
Directly behind the goals. The corners are Category 3. I wouldnt go lower than Cat 3.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So who watched SA v. Colombia last night? I have two thoughts.

1. There was some SERIOUSLY dodgy refereeing last night. Not one-sided, just all round dodgy. SA's second penalty was particularly interesting. We saw it (on SABC1) in real time, the commentators were going on about how the player was "definitely tripped," they showed one slow-mo replay, in which "tripping" was certainly not "definite" and they showed no more replays after that! :lol:
2. I have clearly lost touch with the game. The SABC commentators were going on about what a wonderful game Tshabalala had. While I was watching I was thinking, "This guy's having a seriously mediocre game tonight!"
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Serious comments coming from a mouse with a blue jersey.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

I agree with Stu. I also caught the game and thought, wow, this ref is on tik.

Being of the true Dutch heritage, I'm supporting the Netherlands this world cup. I watched their warmup versus Mexico the other night, which they won 2-1. But after watching that game and then last night's, I unfortunately do not foresee Bafana getting through the first round. Their technique and style are just nowhere near matching the other three teams in their group.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Serious comments coming from a mouse with a blue jersey.
What, I can't watch soccer too? I like cricket as well.

Also, after the match the studio presenter spoke of SABC1 as "the only official broadcaster of the 2010 Soccer World Cup." Um . . . :?:
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

We won. :shock:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Jonboy wrote:But after watching that game and then last night's, I unfortunately do not foresee Bafana getting through the first round. Their technique and style are just nowhere near matching the other three teams in their group.
I've been saying the same long before last night's game. Although I must admit, SA's defence last night looked shoddier than normal when Colombia really pushed forward. Those last 15 minutes or so were all about defenders just wildly kicking the ball as far up the pitch as possible.

And as for our goal scoring ability . . .

I lol'd at Benni McCarthy's interview after the game. He was going on about how great it is to play with the team again, how proud he is to be South African, etc. This from the guy who had no interest over the last 12 months or so even trying to convince his club to let him play for the national team. :roll:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:We won. :shock:
We did, and I'm glad, and it's somewhat impressive now to be on a 10-game-non-losing streak.

Still, we the retake of our first penalty was somewhat dubious, although I thought perhaps fair (it didn't look to me like the keeper's heels were on the line to begin with), and the second penalty was really a complete sham.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

I felt so sorry for their keeper - he saved that penalty impressively, then the ref overturns it!!!

And I hardly think it's much of an accomplishment to beat teams that are ranked much lower than SA. When we played the teams around our own ranking we got pummeled.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Actually, Colombia is ranked FAR above us. Columbia = 35; South Africa = 83.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

They didn't qualify for the World Cup - so that then means we are only playing because we're the host country? :shock:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
naughty

Post by naughty »

doo_much wrote:They didn't qualify for the World Cup - so that then means we are only playing because we're the host country? :shock:
if SA had to play in qualifiers then we definitely would not have been playing - there are many stronger teams in Africa - and even the current African champions Egypt did not qualify but there are so many teams in africa that have players way beyond anything we can field .... for example

1) Ivory Coast
2) Ghana
3) Algeria
4) Egypt
5) Cameroon
6) Nigeria

whatever those teams rankings are i reckon they will all pound Bafana Bafana into the next century on a football field. The only player that i really like in our team remotely is Steven Pienaar
I lol'd at Benni McCarthy's interview after the game. He was going on about how great it is to play with the team again, how proud he is to be South African, etc. This from the guy who had no interest over the last 12 months or so even trying to convince his club to let him play for the national team
there was a time when Benni was a player who had awesome potential - sadly he never realized that potential despite his success (if you want to call it that in the English Premier league .... but recently he has just been a fatty bench warmer) and now all he is, is an attention grabbing circus clown. Maybe a bit harsh but i really think that doing stupid things like going and carrying opposition players off the pitch while they are being substituted in international matches is very indisciplined and totally retarded and i once saw him doing that while playing for South Africa. I am surprised that they are giving him another chance. They should let him rot in isolation because he seriously has a rotten attitude and he isnt as good as he thinks he is
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
ADT

Post by ADT »

I'm going to go watch the Uruguay v France game in Cape Town :)
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

I'm going to watch Holland vs Denmark, fetched tickets yesterday. Tried to go online to get more today, but site crashed.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
capanno

Post by capanno »

Stuart wrote:So who watched SA v. Colombia last night?
I was there!! :D :D :D

My throat is hurting a bit, and my ears are buzzing.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'll tell you something. After watching the games against Colombia and then Guatemala last night, I seriously think that there is a faint glimmer of hope for South Africa to navigate their way through the first round. All we need to do is somehow secure the services are each of the two refs in the last two games, and there are bound to be enough bad decisions that we get a penalty or two thrown our way during each game.

I understand that these two games were friendlies, but the quality of the refereeing needs to be SERIOUSLY lifted in time for the Cup! Those two refs had absolute shockers!