Sharing a flat - Advice?

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Sharing a flat - Advice?

Post by KillerByte »

Hi guys

I am moving in with a friend and I would like to know if there are any things that I should know that would slip a normal persons mind.

I know about the usual things, rent, telkom, water, elec

but are there any expenses that I might have missed?
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
UrBaN

Re: Sharing a flat - Advice?

Post by UrBaN »

Food? The way we worked is to both put in Rx at the beginning of the month, and then that money is to last the month. That way you can't accidentally spend your money and the other guys pays for all food etc then.
to ápeiro anima
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Male or female?

*edit
I meant female of course. :roll:
Last edited by doo_much on 09 Dec 2009, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Food!
Either agree that whats your is his and whats his is yours or segregate the fridge and cupboards.

Also soap - decide where yours go and his go. Trust me you do not want to get in the bath or shower and see your bar of soap with your flamates pubes on it :|
I assume you will not be so anal as to use separate toothpaste and shampoo tho.

Then things like Nailclippers, hairbrushes, creams, ointmets and lotions - keep it all separate.

I'm lucky enough to live with a guy I have known since high school and we get along well - we even have the same tolerance for hygene (or lack thereof ;) )

Hope you and this guy are similarly compatible, otherwise it will be a tense few weeks until you learn each others boundaries.

Edit:
Also, girls!
Not you and your platonic girlfriends - I mean he might want to bring a girl home for immoral purposes.
Work out a way of letting each other know about this.
My flatmate and I make the girl leave their shoes in the downstairs landing, so if I walk in and see a pair of ladies shoes by the stairs, I know to go about my business quietly or find somewhere else to be for the next few hours - and vice versa.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

From personal experience.

Male flatmate
Food.
Always an issue. Some of your/his friends pop by. Everyone has the nibbles and collectively clean out the fridge. Go hungry the rest or the week...
Girlsfriends.
They sleep over and surprise you in the hallway when you're on your way for your morning leak. Naked. You - not her. :cry:
And they complain because you leave the seat up.

Female flatmate
Alcohol.
She doesn't drink so she doesn't buy. But she does offer her guests a drink - and give them yours. On one memorable occasion in Durban my flattie's friend had just broken up with her boyfriend. They finished my stash of 12 year old.
Irritants
They hang their undies to dry in the batchroom. And use up all the hot water. And use a hair dryer. And a heater in winter and a fan in summer. And still insist that you share the electricity bil 50/50.
Boyfriends
They always think you're 'into' their girlfriend and treat you like the opposition. They're usually right.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

doo_much wrote: Girlsfriends.
They sleep over and surprise you in the hallway when you're on your way for your morning leak. Naked. You - not her. :cry:
A no sleepover rule is best in the long run!
doo_much wrote:Female flatmate
Avoid this at all costs. Only fools and horses...
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

LOL then I be a fool or a horse sir, or maybe even both.

This is one of my closest friends. Her BF has his own place so they can use that for any immoral acts when i am at home.

Well she drinks far more than I and is more likely to be the one stocking the liquor cabinet.

UrBaN, thats a good plan for the food. I like it. She's a health and fitness nut which is great for me because I actually want to lose some weight (forced dieting).

jamin_za, brilliant idea with the shoes. must remember that one for the future,
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

jamin_za wrote:A no sleepover rule is best in the long run!
We tried that. We both failed. Miserably. :oops:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

KillerByte wrote:LOL then I be a fool or a horse sir, or maybe even both.

This is one of my closest friends. Her BF has his own place so they can use that for any immoral acts when i am at home.

Well she drinks far more than I and is more likely to be the one stocking the liquor cabinet.

UrBaN, thats a good plan for the food. I like it. She's a health and fitness nut which is great for me because I actually want to lose some weight (forced dieting).

jamin_za, brilliant idea with the shoes. must remember that one for the future,

A girl? :shock:

Pics or I cry BS! :twisted:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Moses

Post by Moses »

jamin_za wrote: My flatmate and I make the girl leave their shoes in the downstairs landing, so if I walk in and see a pair of ladies shoes by the stairs, I know to go about my business quietly or find somewhere else to be for the next few hours - and vice versa.
You could have left off the vice versa.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

umm NO. last thing i need are forumites want to come to my place to perv
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

doo_much wrote:Pics or I cry BS!
Pics will be epic fial.

Most likely too dark and/or hazy to make out any real detail :lol:

And Moses, you lucky I didn't leave your shoes on my landing last time you were in Durbs :P
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

jamin_za, There will undoubtedly be a thread asking for some touch-ups to be done to make it more visible :lol:
to ápeiro anima
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

DONT.DROP.THE.SOAP
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Whose eyes are those on your banner KillerByte? Image
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

KALSTER, Looks like Elisha Cuthbert
to ápeiro anima
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

no its not LOL
c0d3r

Post by c0d3r »

Decide on who cleans what and when. Nothing worse than a flatmate that doesn't cleanup after themselves in the lounge, kitchen, bathrooms etc.
а плечьми буйство струйка. Дверь Твоем юдоли. Виновником неразлучен страшиться невинность милосердье сладчайший. Век под вне Оно Нет сия тук. Все вас совоздыхая устремится ком мню возблеснув разверзают лик мой сопрягаешь. Неправды но Ту светлеет Неправых Ни ум смотреть.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

KillerByte wrote:no its not LOL
Who then? :)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

KALSTER, His sister maybe.
to ápeiro anima
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I don't have a sister. I don't know the girl. Just found the image and then hacked and slashed it
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

KillerByte wrote:I don't have a sister. I don't know the girl. Just found the image and then hacked and slashed it
Good choice then. :wink:

One thing I could suggest is that a rule has to be made about who can sleep over and how long is too long. That would include girlfriends/boyfriends and friends. Party rules need to be sorted out, as well as bed times (anal, but it can be VERY frustrating when you have to get up early while your flatmate is entertaining load friends until 03h00).
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Do NOT pay a months bill they are responsible for on their behalf.
Bonezmann99

Post by Bonezmann99 »

Well, you're moving in with a good friend, but let me give you and the other forumites here a good tip:

NEVER, and I mean NEVER, share a flat with your brother/sister. Everything turns into fights as both parties take the other for granted. f.i The one would say "nah, he's my brother, he wouldn't mind cleaning the dishes even if it's my turn" and so debate, bickering and fights ensue.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Bonezmann99 wrote:Well, you're moving in with a good friend, but let me give you and the other forumites here a good tip:

NEVER, and I mean NEVER, share a flat with your brother/sister. Everything turns into fights as both parties take the other for granted. f.i The one would say "nah, he's my brother, he wouldn't mind cleaning the dishes even if it's my turn" and so debate, bickering and fights ensue.
I never had an issue with sharing with family.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932