Filter Coffee - what's good?

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Filter Coffee - what's good?

Post by Anakha56 »

Its cheap as well.

http://coffeecompany.co.za/coffee_equipment.htm

R295. Will speak to my better half and see if she will let me get rid of the painful one that was also a wedding gift... :whistling:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

you've been married for 6 months and your're already getting rid of wedding gifts... sjoe... you're only getting alcohol from me from now on cause at least i know you wont give that away... :-P :-D
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

meh This wedding gift the travelling mugs have cracked on the inside and I cant use any other mug because it splatters all over the place when it puts the coffee in the mug :/. So yeah killing wedding gifts 1 by 1... BTW This is the second gift I have KO'ed the other was a pink bag... ;)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

hehehe... :-)
but you looked so cute with your fluffy pink bag... :-D
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Anakha56 wrote:This is the second gift I have KO'ed the other was a pink bag... ;)
i seem to recall some pink, fluffy, handcuffs being wrecked as well... :book:

making this the third such case of wilful vandalism

which, incidentally, is a sufficiently large data set to identify this as a serial-type behaviour...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

rustypup wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:This is the second gift I have KO'ed the other was a pink bag... ;)
i seem to recall some pink, fluffy, handcuffs being wrecked as well... :book:
I thought we were going to keep that event between us. Oh well I suppose now is a good time to declare the man love you have for Bieber and the colour pink. I am also deeply ashamed for my part in living out your Bieber fantasies, you said it would make us firmer friends, I was shell shocked to find out your definition of firmer... :cry:

/Going way off topic so ...

This place looks like it has some nice coffee!

http://coffeecompany.co.za/products.htm

rusty if & when I place my order from there you want me to pick a bag up for you? :P
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i'm leaning towards... what the toasted snail tails are these people punting?!... :lol:

the boss may know these folks.... will verify... :?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
ADT

Post by ADT »

LIFE would suxs without coffee :)
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

i like the ninos blend :D
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I like the one with lotsa caffeine in
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Tribble wrote:I like the one with lotsa caffeine in
^^ This lady knows what's up.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

:lol: I am finding that I really do not like the taste of Riccoffee and it is not a snobbish reaction. It just really doesn't taste good.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Tribble wrote::lol: I am finding that I really do not like the taste of Riccoffee and it is not a snobbish reaction. It just really doesn't taste good.
+1

However, the pure Arabica my cousin brought me from Dubai definitely isn't to my taste either.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Chiccory is an acquired tasted but I must admit to drinking it for its health properties and not for its taste
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

The stuff I'm currently drinking is a mix a mate of mine threw together. About 50/50 chicory and caffeine. Tastes good.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Sounds yummy

Never tried arabica = but have heard of it
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Ummm how is drinking wood shavings (chicory) healthy? :?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Cultivated from the Nile river for thousands of years, Chicory Root has a long and well-documented history of assisting with liver problems. In fact, documentation exists that ancient Romans used this herb to help cleanse the blood.

Similarly, ancient Egyptians were known to consume Chicory Root in large amounts to aid in purifying the liver and the blood. Especially during periods of scarcity for traditional coffee beans, roasted Chicory Root has served as a natural caffeine-free alternative.
Health Benefits of Chicory Root

Contains Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant
Known for its ability to help prevent jaundice and an enlarged liver when mixed with water and consumed
A natural sedative and anti-inflammatory for the nervous system
Helps the body resist gallstones and liver stones
Provides the soluble fiber inulin, which feeds digestive flora in the intestines
The inulin content is not digestible, so its lack of glucose can help promote optimal blood sugar levels while also increasing stool bulk and consistency
Aids in decreasing the levels of serum LDL cholesterol in the blood

Organic Chicory Root provides inulin to feed the beneficial bacteria of the body. Of more than 30,000 different plant species containing inulin, CR contains the highest concentrations. This friendly flora helps to improve the overall digestive function of the body. Because of Chicory Root’s potential for removing contaminants from the digestive system, the liver does not have to work as hard to filter out toxins that may have escaped into the bloodstream.

Chicory Root can effectively cleanse the body in a number of ways. For example, CR acts as a gentle laxative and diuretic for removing excess water and toxins, and this can also reduce strain on the liver.

By helping to increase the flow of bile, Chicory Root helps the body digest foods and liquids better. With the support of that extra bile to break down fats in the body, Chicory Root can effectively help optimize blood composition. Organic Chicory Root is a valuable herbal supplement for anyone seeking to restore or achieve optimal liver and gallbladder health!
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

that looks dodge :/, red flags immediately when people claim used in ancient this and ancient that. Also liver detox is nonsense (mostly) I had this discussion with the professor of pharmacology recently because i also come across lots of these "super detox" foods (pseudohealth foods), but the detox from these diets are not because they have special properties but rather cause their diets are better lol.

now im not saying its wrong, I just havent heard of it though personally i wouldnt believe it
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I felt much better drinking it than I do drinking coffee = even though it doesn't taste as good. Rather bitter.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

a few testimonials is not enough to validate something for me. Have take placebo effect into consideration and mind you its a POWERFUL effect. Though if you feeling better healthier more energetic thats greats :)

I once tested a health supplement on myself a honeybee pollen capsules for a month seems to be pretty decent and had some solid science, however I still wouldnt recommend it cause i am also subject to placebo effect :(
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

So what's the problem? It works for her?

However.

Inulin "feed(s) the beneficial bacteria of the body", which in turn aids digestion. All good and well.

What stops it from feeding the 'bad' bacteria as well? So not for me thanks.

Tribs - read this.

And read up on klebsiella. Nasty stuff.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

there isnt a problem... Im sure I indicated that. I know my typing is fail :( lol

uhm nothing stops it from feeding the bad bacteria, though you shouldnt have bad bacteria in a quantity (population) large enough to cause problems and what stops the bad bacteria is the good bacteria. The good bacteria prevent the bad bacteria from thriving. So its a bad idea to eat these things when you got a stomach bug
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

@Doo - Fructooligosaccharide never heard of this before.
RiaX wrote:there isnt a problem... Im sure I indicated that. I know my typing is fail :( lol

uhm nothing stops it from feeding the bad bacteria, though you shouldnt have bad bacteria in a quantity (population) large enough to cause problems and what stops the bad bacteria is the good bacteria. The good bacteria prevent the bad bacteria from thriving. So its a bad idea to eat these things when you got a stomach bug
So even Inte-flora (probiotics and prebiotics) feeds the bad bacteria in your gut? And here I really believed it had beneficial health properties. See it's inulin properties
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Tribble wrote:@Doo - Fructooligosaccharide never heard of this before.
RiaX wrote:there isnt a problem... Im sure I indicated that. I know my typing is fail :( lol

So even Inte-flora (probiotics and prebiotics) feeds the bad bacteria in your gut? And here I really believed it had beneficial health properties. See it's inulin properties

No RiaX - what I meant to ask was what the difference if it is really good for her or is it is the placebo effect that makes her feel better?

Anyhow. Tribs as RiaX pointed out feeding the bad bacteria might not be the end of the world if you are in good health? Dunno - I'm not a doctor. :dontknow:

Also - there are coffees out there that are 75% chicory/25% caffeine - maybe that'll taste better?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey