which car should I get?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
po10cy

which car should I get?

Post by po10cy »

Howsit ppls, ok i have a choice between 2 cars, and I need a few ppl's input to decide as i cant decide.

option 1:

2004 Toyota Runx 1.4i RT. Colour is white, 90 000km on the clock. No abs, no airbags, has an alarm. 10kw more powerful than polo although slower 0-100km by 0.2 seconds lol. Price is R90 000

or

2005 VW Polo Trendline 1.4 (hatchbac). Colour is silver, 40 000km on the clock. Abs, airbags, no alarm tho (can easily put on in tho). Price is R80 000

what are your thoughts on these 2 cars. Including knowledge of services, prices, insurance costs etc...which of the 2 would u take?
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
c0d3r

Re: which car should I get?

Post by c0d3r »

VW. Cheaper, it is silver and less km's on the clock.
а плечьми буйство струйка. Дверь Твоем юдоли. Виновником неразлучен страшиться невинность милосердье сладчайший. Век под вне Оно Нет сия тук. Все вас совоздыхая устремится ком мню возблеснув разверзают лик мой сопрягаешь. Неправды но Ту светлеет Неправых Ни ум смотреть.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I would choose the Polo simply because it is a safer car with FAR fewer km on the clock. It is a better car judging by the specs.
to ápeiro anima
Prime

Post by Prime »

One with wheels? :mrgreen:

polo's are apparently high(er) on the theft list.
c0d3r

Post by c0d3r »

And you have the luxury of having Goldwagen in PE for cheaper parts.
а плечьми буйство струйка. Дверь Твоем юдоли. Виновником неразлучен страшиться невинность милосердье сладчайший. Век под вне Оно Нет сия тук. Все вас совоздыхая устремится ком мню возблеснув разверзают лик мой сопрягаешь. Неправды но Ту светлеет Неправых Ни ум смотреть.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

I don't wish to jinx anybody on the forums who has a polo, but the specific reason I chose against buying one is the incredibly high incidence of theft and hijacking of these cars. Your insurance will be through the roof for this car and Toyota's run forever anyway. Try to get some kms dropped off that price, second hand cars should be much cheaper at the moment. Why not consider new in the same price range?
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

what could be new for 90k?

theft isnt such a worry i park in a locked garage at night and if i put an alarm in it that should help. insurance is R100 more a month, but the polo is cheaper by like R250 a month.
c0d3r

Post by c0d3r »

Jonboy, his insurance will already be sky high. He's under 25 and a male.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

c0d3r wrote:Jonboy, his insurance will already be sky high. He's under 25 and a male.

why you! lol

yeah insurance for me is R680 on the runx, and R780 on the polo :O :O :O i HATE insurance when it comes to the prices
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

po10cy wrote:what could be new for 90k?

theft isnt such a worry i park in a locked garage at night and if i put an alarm in it that should help. insurance is R100 more a month, but the polo is cheaper by like R250 a month.
Just remember, your car won't always be parked in your garage and short of tracker, an alarm isn't much hinderence.

Well it all depends on your personal preferences, but car dealers are battling to shift new cars, so some negotiation can get you a good deal. I opted for a Peugeot 206 1.4i, brand new, out the box, which I negotiated down to R98 000 (insured at book value of R120 000). It's got all the trimmings, power steering, airbags, decent CD and JBL speaker system, airconditioning and service plan. It's extremely light on juice (getting about 16-20km / litre of petrol) and low on the wanted list.

Like I said though, the choice is yours.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Jonboy, It's also French, which means you will resel it for a bag of chips.

Martin, stay away from anything french dude, they have NO resale value. Toyota is always good, VW is always good - BMW seem to hold their value well, but you will probably get nailed on insurance.
to ápeiro anima
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

im leaning towards the vw honestly... it is 10k cheaper, which makes a big difference for me, it also has the abs and airbags. It is lighter on fuel as its a smaller car than the runx. less km, newer year...
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Sounds like you've already decided.

It's the car I'd choose, but then I get all my services and parts at cost so I'm biased :P
to ápeiro anima
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

UrBaN wrote:Sounds like you've already decided.

It's the car I'd choose, but then I get all my services and parts at cost so I'm biased :P
i can like to be your new best friend :lol:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

po10cy, :lol: Move up to JHb and I can do the same for you ;) parts at cost and no labour ;)
to ápeiro anima
garp

Post by garp »

This is quite a tough choice here...

The Toyota is probably nearing an expensive Cam Belt change at 90 000Km, though being a Toyota it's almost guaranteed to give you many years of trouble free motoring, and not to mention the brilliant dealership service (In my experience anyway) Services are not particular expensive, though certain replacement parts are very expensive. A pair of Wind Screen wipers cost almost R600! for a Yarris, while For a Ford bantam costs about R170 (just an a comparison, with both cars being in a similar price range)

I don't know a whole lot about polos, but in my opinion it is a nicer car, just a pity though, with a few stories about poor reliability, and many stories about shocking dealership service, I'd be a bit cautious of going that route.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

UrBaN wrote:po10cy, :lol: Move up to JHb and I can do the same for you ;) parts at cost and no labour ;)
I'm sure your syndicate can branch out to PE. ;)
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

garp wrote:This is quite a tough choice here...

The Toyota is probably nearing an expensive Cam Belt change at 90 000Km, though being a Toyota it's almost guaranteed to give you many years of trouble free motoring, and not to mention the brilliant dealership service (In my experience anyway) Services are not particular expensive, though certain replacement parts are very expensive. A pair of Wind Screen wipers cost almost R600! for a Yarris, while For a Ford bantam costs about R170 (just an a comparison, with both cars being in a similar price range)

I don't know a whole lot about polos, but in my opinion it is a nicer car, just a pity though, with a few stories about poor reliability, and many stories about shocking dealership service, I'd be a bit cautious of going that route.
shot for the headsup!
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

I'd go for the Polo, after driving both the 1.4 polo and the 1.4 runx as hire cars, I can say the runx is very heavy. It's the same shell they use for the 1.6 and I think it may have been designed with the 1.6 engine in mind thus being so heavy for a 1.4 engine.

The polo is lighter, quicker and safer. With the R10k that you save you can go get tracker/matrix/netstar fitted, plus and alarm, plus any other extras you want (sound, aftermarket parts, etc.)
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

exactly what i was thinking.. well im testing the polo today. that is one thing i noticed about the toyota, it was VERY slow, i mean it felt like i was driving my sting with 4 people in the car.

hopefully i see the car today and can buy it if its all good.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

oh my word now the company they are sourcing the polo from is giving them a run around and not getting back to them regarding the polo...this is so frustrating
naughty

Post by naughty »

i keep on hearing about the theft risk of Polo's - so should i be disappointed that no-ones tried to steal mine yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

po10cy wrote:exactly what i was thinking.. well im testing the polo today. that is one thing i noticed about the toyota, it was VERY slow, i mean it felt like i was driving my sting with 4 people in the car.

hopefully i see the car today and can buy it if its all good.
Yup, RunX should be called WalkX...
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

ok and update...

the polo wasnt available so i decided to go for a 'surprise' visit to the dealer with my dad to have a final look over the runx before i sign for it.

arriving there the dealer told me the runx was at another branch so we could drive there. we got in a focus and on the way there he tells me they just bought that vehicle, he was testing it, and its in the same price range as what i can afford.

i told him i want to try drive it and see how it feels. and immediately fell inlove. so powerful!!! eventually we didnt even make it to the runx, i turned around headed back and told him i want it. so i signed for it, and because they already have my details, and the price range all that, he said they will just wait now for the bank to send the contract and its all done.

so im super stoked now..

signed for a silver ford focus 1.8TDCI

WOOOOT! helluva lot better than a 1.4i runx wouldnt you say?
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Well done dude! Just make usre you do the services etc on time - if the turbo goes on a diesel, you're in trouble.

More specs on the Focus please?
to ápeiro anima