Valuating Tips

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Koko_Lion

Valuating Tips

Post by Koko_Lion »

Hi

I put my motorbike up for sale last week and I'm starting to get a lot of people who are interested. I'm just not sure how one goes about putting a value on things like bikes, cars, jetskies and boats etc.

I don't want to go too expensive as I will probably end up chasing everyone away and obviously too cheap and I might then loose out.

I called my nearest approved Yamaha dealer and they were not very helpful. Signed up on the BikeSA forums and asked the same question with still no reply.

Hope someone here knows a little about valuing things like this.

I can post the specs and a photo if it would help.

Thanks
doo_much

Re: Valuating Tips

Post by doo_much »

Koko_Lion wrote:
I can post the specs and a photo if it would help.
Yes, that would help! :D
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Indeed.

You can also have a look at what similar year models are priced at, what extras are included- compared to yours, if any.
The condition of the bike, the engine, the kilo's travelled, condition of tyres, shocks, brakes etc, last service- all make a difference.

Don't go too cheap. rather aim a bit higher. The market on 2nd hand bikes is big. If you have a good quality bike which you have taken good care of- which I will assume you did- you have the right to ask a decent price for it. And people will tell you if they're not willing to buy it at your specified price.

So yes, post you specs and pics, and do compare it to similar available 2nd hand bikes in the market. :)
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I know for cars there is the M&A book which provides book values of cars depending on year, mileage etc...I'm sure there must be an equivalent for motorbikes as well.
to ápeiro anima
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Maybe, but I'm not sure.

As an example, my mom had a 1987 Suzuki GSX-R 750, one of the first, but not a rare or sought after model. Nothing special. She sold it last year for R25 000, the buyer didn't even try to negotiate the price, and the lady who bought the bike is an old hand at bikes, so she knows the worth and so on. Now compare that 25k to a newer model and what they are worth and you will find that bikes - bikes that are well looked after especially (and even when not)- are still worth a lot, even old models.

My point is don't go cheap.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Koko what bike is it dude? Post the specs and we can then help further.
to ápeiro anima
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Ye, what he said :)
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Hay guys, sorry been a bit busy.

She is a Yamaha TW200E 2006 model and done just over 2500 kilometers. I am the third owner. I have owned it for just under a year. Was recently serviced with new plugs, oil etc.

I had a look at the new 2008 TW's at Yamaha and there about R38 000. I paid R20 000 for mine. Would be really nice if I can get back what I paid, although I'm not fussy. As long as it goes to a good home, where it will be looked after.

It will be a pretty emotional sale, I loved this little bike :cry:
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Check the Autotrader to see what similar models go for.

Always advertise it for 10% than you want. That way you can negotiate a little.

I would say R18900 would be a fair price.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I say 20k. Even if you are the third owner. Number of owners are not relevant (my opinion)

That bike is well looked after by looks of it. Should be an easy 20k :wink:

I'm only saying 20k cause you said it's what you paid. You may even try your luck...
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Why not ask for R40k but offer a 50% discount? Indians will buy it, no doubt.

No offense intended to any indian people, nor is the above a racist remark - if you don't believe me, go to the Bruma Flea Market sometime.
to ápeiro anima
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

:lol:

Right, one guy who is very keen is a Captain for a South African Airways 747 Boeing, he should have bucks. Will ask R25 000 and negotiate to no less then R17 000. Will see how that turns out.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

would the fact that its been in a crash affect the price of the bike after you fixed it up? not sure how that works for bikes.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

The bike was in an accident. Mostly just the plastics got scratched. I replaced everything that even had a little mark. I did send it in to get the frame, engine etc properly examined and everything passed.

Bike rides beautifully and that pilot took it for a ride and was very impressed too.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Koko_Lion wrote::lol:

Right, one guy who is very keen is a Captain for a South African Airways 747 Boeing, he should have bucks. Will ask R25 000 and negotiate to no less then R17 000. Will see how that turns out.
I'd say ask 25, stop at 20. Seriously.
po10cy wrote:would the fact that its been in a crash affect the price of the bike after you fixed it up? not sure how that works for bikes.
Koko_Lion wrote:The bike was in an accident. Mostly just the plastics got scratched. I replaced everything that even had a little mark. I did send it in to get the frame, engine etc properly examined and everything passed.

Bike rides beautifully and that pilot took it for a ride and was very impressed too.
I don't think it's really an issue. My earlier example of the 750: we bought the bike as a streetfighter, meaning previous owner had an accident and couldn't/wouldn't pay for new cosmetics and converted it to a naked bike. My dad managed to get hold of a same year model GSX-R 1100 fairing (net even 750 as the bike is- glory days of the universal japnese bike but another story entirely) fixed up the bike with the new fairing, gave it a brand new paint job and even made it a single seater. We posted pics, told the story and the bike still went for 25k.

I'm rambling... :roll: (In a bad mood today)
Bottom line, mention the accident, it's only fair. Also mention any and all repairs, but don't think it devalues the bike. (At least not to a point below 20k)
naughty

Post by naughty »

UrBaN wrote:Why not ask for R40k but offer a 50% discount? Indians will buy it, no doubt.

No offense intended to any indian people, nor is the above a racist remark - if you don't believe me, go to the Bruma Flea Market sometime.
that Bruma story doesnt take into account that the indians are not stupid altogether - they may like haggling but they will check up the book value same as anyone else and start from there :P

probably will land up taking the bike and your trousers away with it too (to wipe the bike when it gets dusty) :lol: :lol: :lol: for less than what you intended to sell it for ...... note that this is if he doesnt scam it out of you for free (more-or-less legally) :shock:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor