I hope there is a hell - for mobs with guns...

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
jee

I hope there is a hell - for mobs with guns...

Post by jee »

I was going to post this in the not offended thread... but i realise that there is no way that even my normal tolerance will not be offended by this story....

Bound and blindfolded, a young couple were shot at close range in southern Afghanistan – for daring to elope.

Abdul Aziz was 21 years old. The girl he ran off with was just 19. Her name, Gul Pecha, means flower.

Officials said the pair were tried by a Taliban court, found guilty of "immoral acts" and sentenced to death. The Taliban denied involvement.

Local administrators say the couple's parents were complicit in their fate. But that has not been confirmed. All that is certain is that yet another swath of Afghan countryside is in the hands of power-brokers whose concept of justice and the rule of law could hardly be further from the ideals that Nato, the international community and the Afghan government claim to support.

Gul and Abdul were both from Lukhi village, in Nimroz province. Their home district borders Helmand, where most of Britain's troops are based.

They were gunned down, together, on Monday. Witnesses said they were shot in front of a local mob by men with AK47 assault rifles.

"They had fled their homes to the neighbouring village, because their parents refused to let them marry," said Nimroz's governor, Ghullam Dastagir Azad. "Their parents tracked them down and handed them over to the Taliban."

Some officials claimed the couple hoped to flee across the border, to Iran. The provincial police chief, Jabar Pardeli, said they were held prisoner for four days in Lukhi, once their parents dragged them back, while a council of clerics argued about their fate in the local mosque.

Once their case was settled, execution was swift and visible. Senior human rights workers said the trial suggested the presence of a Taliban shadow government. "That area is totally under the control of the Taliban," said Zaghrulla Baluch, a tribal elder from the province.

Qari Yousef Ahmadi, a Taliban spokesman, insisted the insurgents were not involved. "I have spoken to the Taliban in Nimroz and they said it was not them," he said.

The district, Khash Rod, borders Washir and Nad Ali, in Helmand, where British troops and American special forces have launched a series of attacks against insurgent strongholds. But Nimroz is largely untouched by international or Afghan troops. Mr Pardeli, the police chief, admitted Lukhi is beyond the reach of his men. It sits on a key smuggling route which links Helmand with Iran.

When the Taliban ruled Afghanistan, from 1996 to 2001, they were infamous for the brutal and public way they implemented sharia, or Islamic law. Public executions were commonplace. But in many parts of the countryside, even those outside Taliban control, conservative moral codes condone and encourage similar punishments.

Only last month Afghanistan's President Hamid Karzai faced a barrage of international criticism for signing into law religious legislation which the United Nations claimed legalised rape. Sayed Pervez Kambaksh, a student journalist whose plight was taken up by The Independent, was sentenced to death in a provincial court in 2007 for downloading an article off the internet which questioned Islam's treatment of women.

On the rare occasions that women report rapes, they are usually jailed for admitting sex with a man who is not their husband.

A United Nations report on violence against women, published last year, cited cases where a woman who fled her home was raped by the police when she was arrested, while another woman was forcibly returned to an abusive husband. "It's almost impossible to know the real scale of incidents like this," said a senior human rights worker. "Very often these cases are brushed under the carpet or handled inside the family."

may they die the way they lived
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Prime

Re: I hope there is a hell - for mobs with guns...

Post by Prime »

I cannot comment on the validity of the article, however I have strong feelings against any use of religious belief as a law. unfortunately, countries that isolated and backwards are very much subject to stupidity and superstition. And it probably won't change. Look at the practice of female circumcision, there is no medical grounds for it whatsoever. unfortunately, such practices will continue until people learn to question just what exactly their God/religion/holy book/cleric wants them to do. :(
Prime

Post by Prime »

That said, there are times when i can see why people form mobs and lynch someone. and frankly, having a group of people castrate a rapist or beat a murderer to death is far more effective than sending him through the legal system. I wish we had a real life boondock saints Image. I don't agree with quite how they decided on their targets but i fully agree with what the saints did to them in the movie :twisted:

Edit: though, thats actually vigilantiasm
Last edited by Prime on 17 Apr 2009, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Agree 100% Prime. Farking sicko's if you ask me... :evil:
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I am still amazed that we have the arrogance to call ourselves the most evolved species on this planet of ours. Daily there is evidence to the contrary.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Tribble wrote:I am still amazed that we have the arrogance to call ourselves the most evolved species on this planet of ours. Daily there is evidence to the contrary.
Oh, this is such a tired and clichéd bit of rhetoric.
Put it on a banner and parade it around at a PETA rally.

obvious troll is too obvious?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

jamin_za, thanks :lol: :lol: :lol: I was on the way to having a bad morning but you brightened it for me :lol: :lol: :lol:
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

I was talking to BluePsyche yesterday about how scary mobs are. Perfectly rational people turn into savages in an instant when they form into a mob.
t3h blog
"Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned, the looked for that cometh at unawares, the longed for that cometh beyond hope! Hail Eärendil, bearer of light before the Sun and Moon! Splendour of the Children of Earth, star in the darkness, jewel in the sunset, radiant in the morning!"

Of the Voyage of Eärendil , The Silmarillion
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

freeboy wrote: Perfectly rational people turn into savages in an instant when they form into a mob.
absolutely true... this is why i no longer attend church.. the sight of all that violence upsets me...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

It gets worse:
He is the last of five men charged in the rape of Abeer Qassim Hamza al-Janabi, 14, and the slaying of her and her father, mother and 6-year-old sister. The incident unfolded after the soldiers drank whiskey, played cards, and plotted the attack in Mahmudiya, 20 miles south of Baghdad, prosecutors have said.

Burn in hell you bastards! :?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey