Earth Hour... Anyone else signing up?

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
doo_much

Re: Earth Hour... Anyone else signing up?

Post by doo_much »

hamin_aus wrote:So they are doing this crap again this month... which one of you nimrods are participating :?:
Me.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I admire you - bad things happen in the dark
ghett0_ghuru
Processor: Intel Core2 duo E6320
Motherboard: Nvidia MCP73
Graphics card: ancient
Memory: not enough

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

Tribble wrote:I admire you - bad things happen in the dark
that's just.......erm funny :lol:
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

ghett0_ghuru wrote:
Tribble wrote:I admire you - bad things happen in the dark
that's just.......erm funny :lol:

You need to get to know this one. That sentence had more double meanings than a press release from the ANC about bakkies, police officers and victims suspects...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
ghett0_ghuru
Processor: Intel Core2 duo E6320
Motherboard: Nvidia MCP73
Graphics card: ancient
Memory: not enough

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

:maniacallaughter:
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

GreyWolf wrote: I asked for articles relating to nuclear waste, not fallout from a disaster.
:lol: it's lovely that with nuclear power you get to cherry pick your favourite ways people can die from it.

"I'm not interested in fallout from disasters right now, I only want make points about how safe waste disposal is in my arguments. Whats that? Fallout IS waste? Poppycock!"
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

hamin_aus wrote: :lol: it's lovely that with nuclear power you get to cherry pick your favourite ways people can die from it.

"I'm not interested in fallout from disasters right now, I only want make points about how safe waste disposal is in my arguments. Whats that? Fallout IS waste? Poppycock!"
Semantics and sarcasm, that will win an argument.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You were having a 'debate' with the ultimate troll and expected a proper argument? :eyebrow:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

doo_much wrote:You were having a 'debate' with the ultimate troll and expected a proper argument? :eyebrow:
You are right. Screw that guy...am going home...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Wonder what the fallout was from the 2 nukes on Japan because it looked like they managed to work around it.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

GreyWolf wrote:...am going home...
#WINNING
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

When is it again so I can leave some lights on?
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

hamin_aus wrote:So they are doing this crap again this month... which one of you nimrods are participating :?:
City of Cape Town & Other parts of the world...

http://mg.co.za/article/2013-03-23-tabl ... arth-hour/
Table Mountain to 'switch off for good' during Earth Hour
23 Mar 2013 10:02 - Sapa-AFP

Iconic landmarks, including Table Mountain, around the world will cut their lights for the 'Earth Hour' campaign against climate change.

Organisers expect hundreds of millions of people across the globe to turn off their lights for 60 minutes on Saturday night – at 8.30pm local time – in a symbolic show of support for the planet.

Many of the world's most iconic attractions, including Sydney Opera House, the Empire State Building and the Eiffel Tower will take part.

"What started as an event in Sydney in 2007 with two million people has now become a tradition across the country and across the world," Dermot O'Gorman, head of WWF-Australia, said.

"It's now an organic, people-powered movement… which is fantastic."

Newcomers
Last year more than 150 countries participated in the event which saw some of the world's most iconic landmarks dim, and this year the movement has spread to Palestine, Tunisia, Suriname and Rwanda.

Newcomers to be plunged into darkness include Copenhagen's Little Mermaid, the statue of David in Florence and Cape Town's Table Mountain.

In Australia, where Earth Hour originated with an appeal to people and businesses to turn off their lights for an hour to raise awareness about carbon pollution, the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge will be among the first sites to participate globally.

This year Earth Hour Australia is asking participants to "switch off for good" and move to renewable energy. As part of the push Sydney Opera House won't go dark at 8.30pm but will instead glow a deep green.

With restaurant diners eating by candlelight, Outback communities going dark and iconic buildings standing in shadows, O'Gorman believes Earth Hour has played a part in drawing attention to energy use.

"We've always heard anecdotally that it has made people change their actions and look at their impact on the planet in a more considered way," he said.

"Earth Hour has always been about empowering people to realise that everybody has the power to change the world in which they live, and thousands of people switching to renewable energy is a perfect example."

Plunged into darkness
Sydney's lights out will be followed by countries across the globe, with the Petronas Towers in Malaysia, the Bird's Nest in Beijing, and the Burj Khalifa all participating.

In China, Shanghai's famous Bund will turn off its lights while in the central city of Wuhan, the Yangtze River bridge will be plunged into darkness.

In Japan, daily illuminations of the city's signature Tokyo Tower will be switched off, with visitors able to pedal bicycles to generate power to illuminate an egg-shaped art work.

In Japan's northeast local residents are set to light candles to both show support for the campaign and mourn victims of the 2011 quake-tsunami disaster, organisers said.

In Singapore, the affluent city-state's skyline will darken for one hour from as more than 100 buildings take part, while Hong Kong's famous skyline will also dim.

Earth Hour will also see famous landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, the Brandenburg Gate, London's Buckingham Palace, the Empire State Building in New York and Niagara Falls take part. – Sapa-AFP
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

So it was a "success"

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/general/7 ... eskom.html
629MW saved during Earth Hour in SA: Eskom

More South Africans than ever must have enjoyed candlelight dinners during Earth Hour as Eskom reported on Sunday drastically reduced energy usage during this time frame.

More South Africans than ever must have enjoyed candlelight dinners during Earth Hour as Eskom reported on Sunday drastically reduced energy usage during this time frame.

“South Africans remembered their combined power, switched off and achieved a massive 629MW average reduction on their electricity usage,” said Eskom in a statement.

The power utility said the savings took place during Earth Hour between 8.30 and 9.30 on Saturday night.

Last year, South Africans reduced their energy usage by approximately 402MW during earth hour – enough electricity to power Bloemfontein.

“This year’s figure shows that more and more South Africans are seeing the value of switching off what they are not using.”

On Saturday, Public Enterprise Minister Malusi Gigaba warned South Africans to brace themselves for what could be the most difficult winter “as electricity supply remained constrained”.

“We need to worry about how we are going to go through this winter,” Gigaba told residents in Kliptown, Soweto.

Earth Hour started in 2007 in Sydney, Australia, when private households and businesses turned off their lights for an hour to take a stand against climate change.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
petrivanzyl

Post by petrivanzyl »

I wasn't playing anything so the GTX 670's power was "saved"

:fencelook:
"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure"
(Intel i5-3570K; ASRock Z77 Extreme 6; GSkill Ares DDR3-1600 16GB; Gigabyte 670 GTX OC Edition; OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD; 2TB & 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDDs; CM 690 II Advanced USB 3.0; LG E2770 27" LED)
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I was watching Stargate...

The Stargate draws a lot of power...
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

We had a storm - lightening struck the pool and the lights went out for a few mins. It was not intentional - I promise.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I was at a bar, so I guess I participated unintentionally.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I switched my houses lights with led lights a few weeks back. My power consumptions been reduced by 25% just like that so I guess I was passively helping.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.