Environmental Rant thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Re: Environmental Rant thread

Post by Siemens »

Nice read. although what is he suggesting we do? He goes on a rant but leaves us in the deep blue.

Does he suggest we stop having kids? Because there is no way I'm going to restraign myself from having a child.

I've never swot a bee in my life. I do eat meat though, it keeps me awake at night knowing that the steak I ate just killed 10% of the worlds environment.

Is it the waste? He wants us to recycle? Well I'm glad to recycle, some countries demand that you recycle so the recycling thing is already in action.

Now WTF does he want us to do!?
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Siemens wrote:Nice read. although what is he suggesting we do? He goes on a rant but leaves us in the deep blue.

Does he suggest we stop having kids? Because there is no way I'm going to restraign myself from having a child.

I've never swot a bee in my life. I do eat meat though, it keeps me awake at night knowing that the steak I ate just killed 10% of the worlds environment.

Is it the waste? He wants us to recycle? Well I'm glad to recycle, some countries demand that you recycle so the recycling thing is already in action.

Now WTF does he want us to do!?
Like I said.. ITS CULLING TIME!

I nominate myself for head culler!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

GreyWolf wrote:
Like I said.. ITS CULLING TIME!

I nominate myself for head culler!
Oh , I'm pretty sure nature is helping out. With HIV/AIDS ,cholera and all the other diseases/viruses.
Although I'm stating all that stuff there is one thing that is probably more concerning, there are countries that are busy dying of obesity while there are others that are dying from startvation.
There are children at the age of 6 with the latest cellphones yet there are children whose parents cant even afford a pen and notebook for school. The world is seriously imba at the moment.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

RiaX wrote:has anyone seen the new honda hydrogen powered car?

Honda FCX Clarity I believe it is called. Saw the review on Top Gear. Very clever car. Only emission is water vapour. I just wonder what would happen if we had 50 000 Hydrogen cars all emitting water vapour in a traffic jam, surely the humidity would go off the chart?
Siemens wrote: Oh , I'm pretty sure nature is helping out. With HIV/AIDS ,cholera and all the other diseases/viruses.
Although I'm stating all that stuff there is one thing that is probably more concerning, there are countries that are busy dying of obesity while there are others that are dying from startvation.
This is true but humans are creating more humans way faster than nature is wiping them out.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Prime

Post by Prime »

We need a lottery like the one episode of sliders. They end up in this dimension with a lottery that the winners are put to death in the name of population control. I seem to remember that entry was automatic or they had a population willing to make the sacrifice. Hmmm.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Screeper wrote:
RiaX wrote:has anyone seen the new honda hydrogen powered car?

Honda FCX Clarity I believe it is called. Saw the review on Top Gear. Very clever car. Only emission is water vapour. I just wonder what would happen if we had 50 000 Hydrogen cars all emitting water vapour in a traffic jam, surely the humidity would go off the chart?

This is true but humans are creating more humans way faster than nature is wiping them out.

true BUT here is my concern with hydrogen powered cars... sure its emitions are safer cleaner greener what ever but since they release water vapour this will ... 1 increase the humidity making our lives suck and 2 surely it could increase a regions rainfall if the hydrogen fuel cell is used on a gobal level in place of petrolium, isnt possible that this increase in water content still raise sea level slightly? (not on the scale of the polar ice caps melting but hey) and also cant increased waterfal be damaging to an eco system that requires a dry nature?

*note im noob on how these powercells work*

On the note of natural culling .... its fail. We are quite close to getting a cure for hiv/aids i've read all the lastest journals (cause my job says i must or my degree goes bye bye) and i can tell you that although curing viruses are extremely difficult (actually impossible if im not mistaken) there are ways around it. The newer arvs comming are so imba that you can live with hiv a very long and somewhat healthy life, at a hefty cost.

Most diseases that claim alot of lives are usually due to lack of facilities in the 3rd world countries, but lets be honest the eco nutcases dont really give a damn about the people in the third world as long as the jungle stays green. 1st world epidemics 200 people die and it dispears

Anyways one day nature will get pissed of and throw something so hardcore it will purge humanity quickly, hopefully mankind will blow themselves up first lol :twisted:
Belix

Post by Belix »

I must agree - the guy does not offer too many suggestions. Vegan may be one of his solutions, but if I remember my highschool biology correctly, you need to eat a whole pile more vegetables to equal the energy in a specific piece of meat, so far more of the earth would need to be devoted to crops...given that cows supposedly eat fish rather than vegetable matter themselves!

I must agree with him on population though. If a couple only have two kids in their lifetime, it will still lead to population decline (it seems 2.1 kids are required to maintain it exactly, but the .1 could be a problem). Perhaps the religious view that you should have as many kids as possible was fine in 0 AD where most babies died occassionally taking mom with them, but it seems very irresponsible in this day and age. I know of a good catholic family of two brothers and a sister that have 17 children between them!!

It seems people don't realise the earth will survive most things man can throw at it...it just may not be all that hospitable to man thereafter...

Unfortunately it seems people will continue on largely as they did before until some tipping point is reached where large portions of the world population will be rapidly wiped out - and only those with oodles of cash will have the means to protect themselves. Start saving those cents people :)

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I'd rather have the entire human race wiped out than become a vegan.
If people stopped breeding domestic livestock for meat I'd eat your pets.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

jamin_za wrote:I'd rather have the entire human race wiped out than become a vegan.
If people stopped breeding domestic livestock for meat I'd eat your pets.
LOOOOOOOOOOOL but i agree
Belix

Post by Belix »

Pets would long since have died or been eaten. You'd probably have to go cannibal to get your fix of meat...

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Belix wrote:Pets would long since have died or been eaten. You'd probably have to go cannibal to get your fix of meat...
If thats what it takes...
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

a human shouldnt taste far off from pork
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Good that means we wont have to compete with the kosher/halal crowds for meat!
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

I read somewhere that a humans meat is very very salty.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

jamin_za wrote:
Belix wrote:Pets would long since have died or been eaten. You'd probably have to go cannibal to get your fix of meat...
If thats what it takes...
Shotgun Katie Melua.
Belix

Post by Belix »

Sigh! The world is destined to doom because everyone is far more interested in a piece of bottom... :roll:

Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Belix wrote: It seems people don't realise the earth will survive most things man can throw at it...it just may not be all that hospitable to man thereafter...
You are quite right Belix the earth will continue quite happily after we have destroyed most of it's surface and atmosphere. We aren't really destroying the earth, just ourselves and our fellow organisms.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

you born you live you die ..... fo0k it
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Belix wrote:Sigh! The world is destined to doom because everyone is far more interested in a piece of bottom... :roll:
You can have the bum , i'll take the leg.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I think we should kill 50% of the Earth's inhabitants every 35 years, the dumber you are, the deader you become. Leave people over 70, that means they've already survived 2 rounds of the exams of death, they've paid their dues and have the right to live on - even if they're senile.

That'll sort our problems one time.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Hex_Rated wrote:I think we should kill 50% of the Earth's inhabitants every 35 years, the dumber you are, the deader you become. Leave people over 70, that means they've already survived 2 rounds of the exams of death, they've paid their dues and have the right to live on - even if they're senile.

That'll sort our problems one time.
It's been good knowing bud, but your 35yr limit is approaching :P
to ápeiro anima
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Hex_Rated wrote:the dumber you are, the deader you become.
far too complicated... i've already got a short list ready to go...

a brief excerpt:
  • :-anyone caught watching reality tv, (survivor, idols, etc), soap operas, oprah, "clipz", motoring shows or televised golf..

:-hannah montanna fans

:-gossip mag purchasers..

:-anyone remotely associated with advertising or marketing...

:-darryl ilbury

:-anyone who ever watched high school musical... even if it was accidental... (i don't care if you wandered into the wrong theatre and were only exposed to a few frames - you're still contaminated...)

:-scientologists - (although they do provide for some comic relief, they're too far gone to repair...)

:-creationists - ditto

:-SOAD fans

:-anyone found wearing a peaked cap with the peak jutting out to the side or wearing their 'jean pant' around their midriff so their underwear is visible - (instant karma alerting the world to the fact that your mind is toast, einstein...)

:-anyone caught using the phrases "yo", "feel me" or "dawg" in public... even if it was accidental... genetic defects are unwelcome...

:-idols fans

:-japanophiles

:-anyone who ever purchased a boyzone/spice girls cd... ever...

:-mark gilman
using the simple criteria in this list we could flush around 87% of the population in one fell swoop, providing us with a long term supply of soylent green and resolving the employment, hunger and crime issues for quite some time to come...
Last edited by rustypup on 08 Jan 2009, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

:shock: Don't like your list. I have seen all three High School Musicals (kids influence) :shock: Nope - I recommend that the puppi be removed first - to ensure our continued existence. *Puts a price on the puppi's head*
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Hex_Rated wrote:deader you become
dead,deader,deadest?

I spotted two errors while scanning through your recommendations, Rusty. There may be more. Overworked? Nah....I think you are testing us. :wink:
Rustypup wrote:{1337 stuff said by Rusty}
Right on, dawg! +10 :thumbup: :twisted:

/Adds a final flourish to his own death warrant.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

rusty: Can we add Gareth Cliff to your list? :wink: