Helmet Replacement?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Friggs

Re: Helmet Replacement?

Post by Friggs »

Fish_man wrote:Friggs , that must be fun!!! u compete in races or just ride for the heck of it

Yea dude, I used to ride a Suzuki 750 Bandit, used it for work and did about 200-300km per day. Riding dirt is so much more difficult but also awesome fun! I'm really good... at wiping :P

No races, maybe in a year or two but it costs a bit.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

lol @ wiping LOL
well i wipped out on my quad last year...Some surgery on my lip and 5 days in hospital, and im a new man
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Hehe, the joys of dirt! I wiped end of last year-i mean end of 07 and managed to break my right clavicle and 3 ribs. You can't splint or cast the blimmen clavicle so it's a case "try not to move it" for 3 months.... agony. But hey, it's all part of the fun at the end of the day :lol: :shock: :lol:
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Friggs wrote: ..used it for work and did about 200-300km per day..
That is big mileage on a bike each day. Was the Bandit comfortable on those distances?
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Friggs wrote:Hehe, the joys of dirt! I wiped end of last year-i mean end of 07 and managed to break my right clavicle and 3 ribs. You can't splint or cast the blimmen clavicle so it's a case "try not to move it" for 3 months.... agony. But hey, it's all part of the fun at the end of the day :lol: :shock: :lol:

aaah the fun and games, was the bike at least OK ??
senile

Post by senile »

Why don't off road helmets have visors?

@Koko_Lion
Where is that reserve? Looks nice.
jamin_za wrote:Right you are, sorry about that.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

somewhere near durban i think
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

So I had my first bike accident yesterday. An elderly man sideswiped me and caused me to fall my bottom off. Luckily I didn't break anything, I just have some mean roasties all over my right side of my body. And I am super super stiff today.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

WiK1d wrote:So I had my first bike accident yesterday. An elderly man sideswiped me and caused me to fall my bottom off. Luckily I didn't break anything, I just have some mean roasties all over my right side of my body. And I am super super stiff today.
Damm man , glad u ok .....pics of teh burns !!! and the bike please (or it did not happen :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

is the bike ok
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Fish_man wrote:
WiK1d wrote:So I had my first bike accident yesterday. An elderly man sideswiped me and caused me to fall my bottom off. Luckily I didn't break anything, I just have some mean roasties all over my right side of my body. And I am super super stiff today.
Damm man , glad u ok .....pics of teh burns !!! and the bike please (or it did not happen :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

is the bike ok
I'll post pics of my roasties in a bit. My dad already took the bike to get fixed after the accident, so I don't have pics of that, but she's mechanically fine, just some broken stuff, mirror, footpeg and brake, scratched side fairing. Luckily the crash only happened at like 20-30Km/h, but the oke hit me so hard that I slid like 10m down the road
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

senile wrote:Why don't off road helmets have visors?

@Koko_Lion
Where is that reserve? Looks nice.
I think is because you wear goggles, not really sure.

It was between Thurlow Game Reserve and Riet Mountain Conservancy

@Wik - Sorry about your accident, I wish you a speedy recovery. Interested to see those pics.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Here is the damage (it looked a lot worse yesterday when it was all covered in blood):

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/W ... G_1627.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/W ... G_1628.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/W ... G_1630.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/W ... G_1633.jpg

Now it's only really my arm that hurts a lot. I lost like all my skin so it's open flesh, and cleaning those wounds twice a day really sucks. But luckily I didn't break anything.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Wik1d :(

Lucky it was a slow crash, but even at 30km/h it still hurts like hell when you come off on tar.
Glad it is not to serious.
I hope you and the bike both make a quick recovery :wink:
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

thats why its so important to wear your full gear when driving , jacket, helmet, gloves, boots the works !!!!
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Fish_man wrote:thats why its so important to wear your full gear when driving , jacket, helmet, gloves, boots the works !!!!
QFT
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

I learned it the hard way !!!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Fish_man wrote:thats why its so important to wear your full gear when driving , jacket, helmet, gloves, boots the works !!!!
Agreed, since I'm going to be travelling a much longer route with more traffic this year I'm definately going to invest in some gear. If I was wearing a jacket the damage would have been much less.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Fish_man wrote:I learned it the hard way !!!
Same here.

Usually it takes an 'off' before you really realise just how dangerous bikes can be.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Screeper wrote:
Fish_man wrote:I learned it the hard way !!!
Same here.

Usually it takes an 'off' before you really realise just how dangerous bikes can be.
Well, that's the problem I have with this crash. I didn't suddenly become scared of the bike, since the accident wasn't cause due to speed, or a hard corner or whatever. A guy just hit me and it hurts like hell.

But yeah, I don't want to have these roasties again, so leathers for the win.
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

I hope you gave that topie a moerse klap!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

muffinman wrote:
I hope you gave that topie a moerse klap!
ROFL, he might have had a heart attack, then I'd be royally screwed :P (He must be at least 70)
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

WiK1d wrote:(He must be at least 70)
So that's the problem then. They should revoke his license. Probably one of those who can't see past the bonnet of the car.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

WiK1d wrote: I didn't suddenly become scared of the bike, since the accident wasn't cause due to speed, or a hard corner or whatever. A guy just hit me and it hurts like hell.
I didn't really mean you'd be scared of bikes, I was saying it just usually takes a crash before us, as bikers, realise how useful a set of leathers would be ;)
Once a biker always a biker. If the bug bites it doesn't matter how many times you come off and get injured you'll always get back on and ride if possible.

How much are the repair costs to the bike? I imagine a new faring would be quite costly on your bike?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Screeper wrote:I didn't really mean you'd be scared of bikes, I was saying it just usually takes a crash before us, as bikers, realise how useful a set of leathers would be ;)
Once a biker always a biker. If the bug bites it doesn't matter how many times you come off and get injured you'll always get back on and ride if possible.

How much are the repair costs to the bike? I imagine a new faring would be quite costly on your bike?
Ah yes, agreed.

Repairs should be okay, my dad is a mechanic/panel beater so he's doing most of the work himself, fixing the metal parts, and then just sanding and re-spraying the fairing. Luckily it didn't crack or break (I think, wasn't really paying attention)
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Well there are two types of riders, those who have fallen and those who are going to fall.

WiK1d, Hope you and the bike get better quick, play safe.