Safety tips

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
RiaX

Safety tips

Post by RiaX »

Hi I had a terrible thing happen to me a few days ago. My car slid out of control (empty road Thank the dude upstairs for that) and guess what ? it was the traction control that plunged me into a spin (was going about 70KpH)

Yes it was raining and my tires were covered in mud but i usually take that same turn at 100 KpH in my car and it doesnt even show signs of losing grip. I managed to prevent an accident and keep the car from sliding into the barriers but damn it was terrifying and i did end up facing the wrong way.

I just want to hear some advice from you guys what to do when the car just suddenly goes into a spin whats the best way to hold it and if possible bring it back under control.

The knowledge might save my life and some of the pcf readers here if something terrible like this is to happen
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Safety tips

Post by hamin_aus »

RiaX wrote:it was the traction control that plunged me into a spin
Sure... and the dog ate your homework...

What car do you drive? FWD? RWD?
Cant answer your question if we don't know... the way you counteract oversteer is different for each.
In a FWD, apply power & point your wheels in the opposite direction to the spin - not too aggressively, or you will fishtail.
In a RWD, ease off the power and point your wheels in the opposite direction to the spin
Thats how I remember learning it - but I have never been in a spin myself.

You are lucky to be in one piece. Change your driving habits.
naughty

Post by naughty »

but i usually take that same turn at 100 KpH in my car and it doesnt even show signs of losing grip
after reading this line i am totally in agreement with this one
Change your driving habits.
i dont care if you kill yourself - but i am concerned that someday you are going to kill some other innocent road users
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

RiaX - not sure you can be told how to stop a spin, I think it is something you have to learn by actually experieincing the loss of control but in a controlled environment. I guess the best advice would probably be to go on an advanced driving course if you can afford it.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Why were your tyres covered in mud? You been going offroad?

Jamin's advice is the same as what I've heard, assuming you have a FWD, counter against the spin slowly while applying gentle thrust.

I was driving along on the highway at about 2 in the morning about two months back when this guys came flogging it past me and out of nowhere he just starts spinning like a top on the highway. Luckily it was just us on the road!
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

RiaX what car do you drive? I'm glad to hear you are alright but drive slower in the rain! If there was oil spilled on the corner, the first rains of the season lifts it up and creates a deathtrap. Where you maybe not aquaplaning?

As for spinning out of control, you should go to a skid pan and learn how to counter steer. Depending on the car, you might be able to regain control at that speed. If you drive a powerful RWD car with traction control it can sometimes be "overaggressive" and apply breaks when it detects a small amount of wheel spin. This could cause you to lose control. Also, make sure your tyres have enough tread.

The best way to learn how to get out of that situation is to learn how to handle a car that is out of control. A large, empty car park can be used but the best is to go for an advance driver course. A car park might have bumps that can flip your car so a skidpan is a better choice.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I've played a hell of a lot of racing games in my life, and this experience with games kept me from spinning my car into oblivion a couple of weeks ago. I was going around a corner, a relatively sharp one, at about 60 (i always do). The road was DRY, but there was a wet patch just before the corner. It must've been diesel or something, because as i entered that corner, my car started sliding across the corner. Gaming has taught me to steer in the opposite direction of the spin, but "enough". That's exactly what i did and i managed to keep control of my car throughout the entire slide.

So what should you do? Play more games :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Yup, games do help. (But also create maniacs! hehe) If you play on full simulation and not arcade they can give you an advantage. But only the most basic lesson, counter-steering.

I reckon games have prevented and caused a lot of accidents.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah. Look, i've been driving for more than half my life, so i don't think that gaming really helped that situation all THAT much, but gaming DEFINITELY helps. Definitely.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

They definitely do help, you're right. But in most games, counter steering and drifting are not very accurate. People over correct and see their a$$es.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

(was going about 70KpH) traction control that plunged me into a spin
You need to be doing something really stupid to lose traction and spin in a car with traction control.

Oil doesn't help which I suppose could be the culpret.

I've come speeding down the long hill from CBD (past Wits) towards westcliff/parktown north and had the chassis flex on me. I didn't hit the brakes instantly, that would have sent me in a complete spin. I merely let go of the accelerator and when I was stable enough, applied the brakes.

I'm a very intuitive driver-a lot of my driving is based on what other people and myself are going to do.

I know how to keep control of a car in very wet conditions and I know how to brake extremely sharply (causing a few bloody heads when the items on the back shelf hit the passengers in the back :mrgreen: :twisted: )

Moral of the story-don't speed in the rain and watch out for oil.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Frozenfireside wrote: I've come speeding down the long hill from CBD (past Wits) towards westcliff/parktown north and had the chassis flex on me. I didn't hit the brakes instantly, that would have sent me in a complete spin. I merely let go of the accelerator and when I was stable enough, applied the brakes.
You must just take it easy there, the metro are hitting it hard there at the mo.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Watch some drifting videos on youtube. cockpit and outside to see how it's done. See what angle the wheels are at during the drift to avoid spinning. where they apply power and where they release power.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Jonboy wrote:
Frozenfireside wrote: I've come speeding down the long hill from CBD (past Wits) towards westcliff/parktown north and had the chassis flex on me. I didn't hit the brakes instantly, that would have sent me in a complete spin. I merely let go of the accelerator and when I was stable enough, applied the brakes.
You must just take it easy there, the metro are hitting it hard there at the mo.
Yeah but they seem to be hitting everywhere and I never go anywhere with out my license.

I also keep an eye open for cameras.
has anyone seen that new cam on Jan Smuts? Just after Dunkeld shopping centre.
It nails someone every time I drive past. It's nailed my step dad, mom, bro. Can't catch me though.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

You know how many peeps are getting busted on the 80 section on the N1 between 14th Ave and Beyers Naude. Raped I tell you. I even got a few fines, they first called it a 100 section and I got 114km/h fine so I started driving around 100km/h and then I started getting 95km/h in an 80 section. WTF!?! I thought it was illegal to trap for a few months after they change the limit, and the signs must be in red and blue!

Yellow and red are the suggested temporary speeds, unless things have changed since I did my learners.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Hex_Rated wrote:You know how many peeps are getting busted on the 80 section on the N1 between 14th Ave and Beyers Naude. Raped I tell you. I even got a few fines, they first called it a 100 section and I got 114km/h fine so I started driving around 100km/h and then I started getting 95km/h in an 80 section. WTF!?! I thought it was illegal to trap for a few months after they change the limit, and the signs must be in red and blue!

Yellow and red are the suggested temporary speeds, unless things have changed since I did my learners.
Agreed - that is how I understood them too.

The N3 at Marlboro is also terrible, have been nailed there doing 111km/h in a 100km/h zone. :roll:
to ápeiro anima
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

Hex_Rated wrote:You know how many peeps are getting busted on the 80 section on the N1 between 14th Ave and Beyers Naude. Raped I tell you. I even got a few fines, they first called it a 100 section and I got 114km/h fine so I started driving around 100km/h and then I started getting 95km/h in an 80 section. WTF!?! I thought it was illegal to trap for a few months after they change the limit, and the signs must be in red and blue!

Yellow and red are temporary speeds but not suggested. Usually you'll find that they cover the original signs when the yellow and red signs are in use (usually when they are working on the roads), which means that for the time being you should adhere to that speed.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Yes, but you aren't allowed to trap right after you change the limit. They supposed to give you like 6 months or something. I already paid all my fines, they amounted to R400.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

Hex_Rated wrote:Yes, but you aren't allowed to trap right after you change the limit. They supposed to give you like 6 months or something. I already paid all my fines, they amounted to R400.
I don't know, can't really remember, 6 months seem a bit to long though.. Yesterday I had to park close to a fire hydrant, I couldn't even remember if you're not allowed to park closer than 1.5m or 3.5m to a FH.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I can't remember really but I know that most of the fines we get are illegal (the ex top police commissioner of some jurisdiction had an interview on the radio and he actually said that a lot of the fines are illegal these days). The cameras aren't calibrated or they aren't allowed to trap in certain places but they still do. It's more effort to go fight with the magistrate, or go to court to get it declared illegal, than it is to pay the damn thing.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

ag ja, fe roads here in kempton is lekka ek se.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Well, my neighbours are doing contruction so when it rains a lot of mud washes infront of my driveway :evil: and since i got dunlop SP sport 9000 tires there isnt much tread but rather channels but when the mud dries it clogs the treads and becomes like rock and doesnt come off easily making me very susceptable to aqua plaining.

And it was the traction control which slowed my right rear tire cause if was cover in mud and started to lose grip hence the traction control slowed it down but since i was turning in the rain the car slipped and i know it was the traction control cause the car told me with its flashing lights :shock:

I drive a BMW 525i 2003 with the sports package. My tires arent biscuit tires anyways they split profile 235/45/17 in the front and 255/45/17 in the back.

I do have quite a bit of skill with my car hence why i never go into the barriers
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

RiaX wrote:I drive a BMW
There's your problem :lol:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

muffinman wrote:
RiaX wrote:I drive a BMW
There's your problem :lol:
to ápeiro anima
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

LOL .

I have had my fair share of problems with that car, its got a terrible traction ccontrol, its alarm sounds fairy like, the battery is in the boot so finding the lead to boost is a headache (leads under the bonnet), engine is sealed completely so if i break down im screwed (hasnt happend yet)

Oh and i did put a netstar in the car and the netstar was interfering with the car's electronic and causing the battery to die within 6 hours then the netstar blew a couple fuses in the car (or so im told by BMW) but lucky the car was under warranty at the time so i got a whole new electronic system that came from home office germany. Removed the netstar and never had a problem with the car since then

Car drives beautifully though and looks wicked but its a very unlucky car for me weird things happen to me all the time. Even so it still way better than my old merc and is still one of the best cars i've ever driven