Buying a bike with no license?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
SilverBack

Buying a bike with no license?

Post by SilverBack »

Hiya all,

Can a motorbike be bought from a dealer with no license? Most ppl say no, but have heard of a few that say they have?

Cheers
SB
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
muffinman

Re: Buying a bike with no license?

Post by muffinman »

Look, you only need a learners to legally ride/drive a bike, so I can't see why you need a license to buy one.

But if that's the case, I'm sure you'll be able to bypass the license by paying with cold hard cash.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

I personally have heard that you need bare min a learners bike license to buy a bike through finance. If its cash, well then maybe a license isnt needed, Im not 100% sure.

So...
1. Buy a bike with finance, then a learners is needed. Cant buy bike on finance without learners.
2. Buy a bike cash, no license is needed at all?

Is this right? Anyone here that knows for sure?
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

SilverBack wrote:I personally have heard that you need bare min a learners bike license to buy a bike through finance. If its cash, well then maybe a license isnt needed, Im not 100% sure.

So...
1. Buy a bike with finance, then a learners is needed. Cant buy bike on finance without learners.

If you pay cash, no one would ask questions. :wink:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

muffinman wrote:
SilverBack wrote:I personally have heard that you need bare min a learners bike license to buy a bike through finance. If its cash, well then maybe a license isnt needed, Im not 100% sure.

So...

If you pay cash, no one would ask questions. :wink:
Hmmmm, probably. See, while there's probably no legal obligation here, the fact that you're paying cash will get the place selling you the bike to look the other way.

Also, come on dude, just get your learners. It's the easiest exam you'll ever write. If you randomly scroll through a K53 book it'll be enough to pass you.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Banks are very strict with financing , when i bought my CRF230F they did not want to finance me cus i didn't have a license.

The CRF230 is an offroad it has no onroad stuff except for the its head light.
With all the arguing that i dont need a licence for an offroad bike.
They told me that its not about riding on road its about the training and knowing how to use it
its so i dont crash and stop paying installments :roll:

So i told them i do have a license just not with me, and asked them to process the the application so long and i will send them a copy of my license (Which i dont really have), and then i just left it and thought by my self bugger them. The next day they phoned me and said its been approved, and i picked up my bike and never heard from them again. :D
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

LOL! Ok, sorry, think Im giving the worng idea here. Im looking at getting a bike, know what I want but need to know if I manage to find the bike and dont yet have my learners, will they still sell it to me and finance the bike? I wish I had the cash lying around to just buy the bike without finance...

Its just a real kuk one, cos it takes ages to get appointment for learners test :(
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

SilverBack wrote: dont yet have my learners, and finance the bike?
I believe this was answered in the previous post.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Yep, thanks ;)
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Why would you need a license? Say you're a bike collector and you don't ride them (lets say you're disabled and can't pass the license). What happens then?
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Hex_Rated wrote:Why would you need a license? Say you're a bike collector and you don't ride them (lets say you're disabled and can't pass the license). What happens then?
Think again what you have asked.

You only collect stuff if you can afford it cash, you dont finance it :? Who would finance a bike to make it
stand around and not gain anything from it ?

If you are disabled you are not supposed to be on a bike, especially a bike!. I know disabled people can modify it to still enjoy it, but its the banks money.

The bank is lending YOU the money and its up to them to make the rules, you cant blame them they have to do
what it takes to ensure they get their money back.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Think again what you have asked.

You only collect stuff if you can afford it cash, you dont finance it :? Who would finance a bike to make it
stand around and not gain anything from it ?

If you are disabled you are not supposed to be on a bike, especially a bike!. I know disabled people can modify it to still enjoy it, but its the banks money.

The bank is lending YOU the money and its up to them to make the rules, you cant blame them they have to do
what it takes to ensure they get their money back.
WTH dude? LOL. Ummm, yes I have thought about it. Of course you can collect stuff if you can't pay cash for it. What about property? Some people have more than one house and I can promise you they don't have to pay cash for the second property.

You don't have to drive it. What if you are buying a bike for your son :?: :?: :?:

Banks love to lend people money, they don't care if you are going to break the rules as long as they get paid. Why would not having a license or not impact whether they lend you money? With the exception of a TV, with most things you require a license to use them, not to buy them. What if you are a business man and you want a Lear Jet? Are you telling me that the bank wants you to get a license before you can finance one?

Banks want you to insure things that they lend you money for but if you tell them you aren't going to drive it, they will give you the money. Besides, you can still get drunk and crash the bike and even if you have a license, the insurance won't pay. Then you have to pay the bank out of your own pocket.

It's very easy to get money from banks if you have a good credit rating and can pay them back. They are willing to even lend you more money than you can afford half the time. Only recently have they been cracking down on that. You can get a personal loan, cash it and buy a bike. I often get junk mail from the bank telling me I automatically qualify for a loan. I'm sure most people who have ever financed anything do. What's stopping me from finding a bike and buying it?

It depends on the bank, how much you earn, your credit history and how much the bike costs more than if you have a license or not.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Prime

Post by Prime »

SilverBack wrote:LOL! Ok, sorry, think Im giving the worng idea here. Im looking at getting a bike, know what I want but need to know if I manage to find the bike and dont yet have my learners, will they still sell it to me and finance the bike? I wish I had the cash lying around to just buy the bike without finance...

Its just a real kuk one, cos it takes ages to get appointment for learners test :(
You just have to keep trying. Have they now scrapped the phone in and get put on a waiting list thing? thats what i went through last year. got put on a list, then eventually you get called and told that your test is on such a day and you need to go pay. :roll:
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Isn't it easier to get those people that queue for you to book everything. All you do is fill in the forms, give them your ID and pics and send them off on their way and they normally have connections in the department that bump them to the front (which is why we all have to wait). Expensive but problem solved! I'm not sure if they do drivers' licenses, sure they have connections somewhere. Worth giving them a call and asking.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
Prime

Post by Prime »

Hex_Rated wrote:Isn't it easier to get those people that queue for you to book everything. All you do is fill in the forms, give them your ID and pics and send them off on their way and they normally have connections in the department that bump them to the front (which is why we all have to wait). Expensive but problem solved! I'm not sure if they do drivers' licenses, sure they have connections somewhere. Worth giving them a call and asking.
You need eye tests amongst other things. finger prints too. You only que when you pay, thats the least of your problems and thats when you get all the prints and eye tests. you need to get the booking first. and the call centres are populated by corrupt beurocrats. They want bribes, they don't have booking slots, they give you the incorrect times for paying at the testing centre. So in actual fact, you need someone to sit on the phone all day and call them. People will do this for money. the driving schools have people to do this...

They even managed to cancel my booking. :roll: I made them uncancel it and give me a new one :evil5:
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Yeah, managed to get appointment to MAKE a test date. How dumb is that? Gonna go first thing tomorrow morning...and get there early so Im riiiiight in front :P