Shikabane Hime (Corpse Princess) First Impressions

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Shikabane Hime (Corpse Princess) First Impressions

Post by larch »

The immortal girl, “Shikabane Hime,” has the mission to “kill” 108 corpses. It’s a contract she has between herself and the Buddhist monk, Keisei. After 108 corpses, she will finally get her happiness and go to heaven. The story starts off with a bunch of high school students, taking the dare to go into at abandoned building that has been half destroyed by a fire. It was rumored to be haunted. Just a rumor, right? Not when real corpses start showing up and attacking them. And that is where they meet the Shikabane Hime.

Shikabane Hime (Corpse Princess) is the first big project for Gainax after there smash hit Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, so this show has a lot to live up to as the bench mark for quality was set really high with there last show. And the first episode of Shikabane Hime does not disappoint, it incorporates the Gainax flare for animation and action sequences with a big helping of zombies and evil spirits.

In the first episode we meet Hanagami who seems to be at the point of moving out of what seems to be a orphanage, run by a strange monk named “Sentinel” and a school teacher. Hanagami seems to be in the process of moving into a place of his own. Before he moved out on one particular night he stumbled upon a dead girl lying in front of the orphanage shrine covered in blood. As he approaches her he hears voice and hides behind the shrine.

Seconds later the monk comes running into the shrine after seeing the girls bloody and battered body lying in front of the shrine, and for all intensive purposes she seems to be dead. But the monk picks her up in his arms while taking a deep breath and hugging her tightly. A few seconds pass and the seemingly dead girl suddenly comes back to life!

We learn afterwards that her name is Makina Hoshimura and that she is a “living corpse” who has been tasked to hunt down and kill Shikabane’s, and it seems that she is working with the priest Sentinel that revived her earlier. They are currently tracking a serial killer who has killed four women in his “harem.” After getting killed and turning into a Shikabane he now prays on the flesh and blood of living human beings.

After regaining the trail left by the Shikabane, Makina follows him to a local brothel where she finds that most of the female prostitutes have been turned into mindless puppets . And that he is using them as human shields to protect himself against her. A battle takes place in which he transforms into his true form, he manages to grab and overpower her as he flies into the night sky.

Makina struggles to free herself from the Shikabane’s grip and she succeeds in doing so. But she drops several hundred meters to the ground below; coincidentally Hanagami happens to pass by the spot where she crash landed. And of course having dropped several hundreds meters she is pretty much dead. After remembering what the monk did Hanagami attempts the same thing and manages to bring her back to life.

Makina continues the pursuit and manages to corner the Shikabane on a hotel rooftop where with the help from the monk and the mysterious organization she manages to defeat it. But both of them did not notice the fact that Hanagami was following them, and that he has seen the whole event take place. What does this mean for all the people involved?

After shows like Macross Frontier, Code Geass R2 and Slayers Revolution finished up. I was looking for a new show that I could just sit down and watch something with good entertainment value. And I think Shikabane Hime fits the bill perfectly as I was pretty impressed with the series first episode. Do yourself a favor and download the first episode by Lunar and tell me what you think.
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Shikabane Hime (Corpse Princess) First Impressions

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Naaaaice. Sounds like a vampire slash zombie slash immortal kick bottom chick series. It can only be worth it :twisted:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

This seems really good! :D
Cant wait for it to finish!! xD
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
larch

Post by larch »

Well people where complaining about the fact that it started off slow but its only the first episode.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

To be quite honest here this is not what I had hoped for.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:To be quite honest here this is not what I had hoped for.
Well to be quite honest here you need to be a fan of the manga to enjoy this and its still early days for the show.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

True about the latter, but I don't need to read a manga to tell me it's anime adobtation's animation is cheap and seiyu's doing a pisspoor job.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:True about the latter, but I don't need to read a manga to tell me it's anime adobtation's animation is cheap and seiyu's doing a pisspoor job.
That might be your opinion which I respect, but I will giving the show a chance beyond just the first episode. :)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Lol, your a good guy larch, that's why I like you.

Yes sure, I'll watch it too. Just can't help feeling a bit disappointed, this is GAINAX after all.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:Lol, your a good guy larch, that's why I like you.

Yes sure, I'll watch it too. Just can't help feeling a bit disappointed, this is GAINAX after all.
*blinks*....someone called me a "nice guy" well its better than all the death threats and banning's I have received this past week but anyway. If the show does not grab me by episode 3 then I will drop it simple as that, already watched episode 2 and it picked up.

There is a crap load of new shows out atm (I am downloading one episode of each and doing a first impression on them) so if its a **** show I drop it and move on to the next.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Hmm, the way I like to watch anime doesnt really give me the opportunity to drop a show most of the time.
I like to have all episodes before I started watching :-/ Incase the series is really good and in which case waiting a week or so for a new episode kinda ruins it for me! :(
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

That's a bad habit you have to break. It's all and well when trading but for current happenings you'll always find yourself 4 months behind the rest of the world. It's like refusing to watch TV because you have to wait for the next episode.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:That's a bad habit you have to break. It's all and well when trading but for current happenings you'll always find yourself 4 months behind the rest of the world. It's like refusing to watch TV because you have to wait for the next episode.
I know...iv noticed that. I cant really join in on the conversations when you guys have them as I havent seen the stuff yet! :(

Tales of Abyss seems pretty awesome, well, different. I skipped through the first episode...
Thought it might be similar to World Destruction, but this isnt the thread for this type of talk :)

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

FUNimation licensed > Lunar dropped > FUNimation streams on YouTube.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Yeh, I saw that...
Which SUCKS IMO!!!
Unless you really enjoy low quality? Unless they will be releasing/streaming HQ versions somewhere...

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

The quality is just fine and streaming this free is no small feat - http://www.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=152

You don't have to watch it on YouTube. I tried fullscreen viewing on FUNi and it ran upto 63% without buffer so it's doable even for us. However, buffer it still does but for those (not in SA) simply watching and moving on or with bandwidth to waste this is perfect.

In any case I just catched up with this and, first impressions aside, it's actually a good watch. Need two more episodes for Aka but Kuro just started and I'll follow that too. But erm, do dead chicks not wear pantsu or what?
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Hmm... Perhaps im not thinking straight right now, I havent though about it much.

Why are Funimation providing streaming? The quality doesnt seem bad, although its obviosuly not HD. Its still very watchable on my 22".
Whats the difference between Funimation offering free streaming and fansubbers fansubbing and releasing the anime?

Users can still "download" the episode off Funimations site, there are programs that will download it while it streams from the various protocols.

The only reason I can think of which I came up with while typing this out is that Fansubbers can offer higher quality releases (video and audio). As well as an easier way for the viewers to get the anime onto their PC and an easier way to get a hardcopy of the series.

I took a look at the series now, there is currently a group that hasnt dropped it AFAIK, they have upto episode 11 out (they dont have from the 1st episode though) and they have a 720p release as well.

Id MUCH rather have the fansubbers version of it as well, the subtitles look better (they are normally styled nicely) as well as the video and audio quality are better. The fansubbers would possible typeset a few signs so that it displays in english and not in Japanese so we can read it as its ment to be and not have to read subtitles, although not all of them do that.
Then sometimes some groups will have translation notes, which is really nice at times as it teaches you a bit more about the Japanese culture and so on. Also they are more loose with the translation which is nice. As they will add the suffixes (didnt watch long enough into the streamed version to see if they too added the suffixes). Also the fansubbers at times would use onee-chan instead of sister or whatever.

I rather like that. Its just a few small things, but it at times helps add to the overall enjoyment of the series.
Im not really complaining, at least Funimation are providing an alternative source for us viewers and arent forcing us to pay to watch it.

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

It's R1 licensed now so fansubbing it's illegal.

We always used the delay between airing and US release as an excuse. Seriously who's excited about something they might see a year or two from now? After licensing Evangelion 11 years ago it took them 5 **** years to get it on the street. And it's still happening in this day and age. Feel like completing your Blood+ collection much? What are we supposed to do in the meantime? Wait? I think not.

Well things changed. We complained. Some listened. We can watch it right after airing, and complain no more.

As far as this shows subs are concerned I pulled Teki's and it looks upscaled to me so don't expect Geass R2 (Eclipse), Sekirei (Titanium) or Chaos; Head (m.3.3.w.) quality standards.

I understand what your saying though. I'm addicted to HD too. In fact replacing my stuff with DVD's lately is bugging me every single damn time because where you gain in the censoring department you lose out in the quality department. It is, at this point or time, either or.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Hmm. When I try to watch it I get this wonderfull error.
We're sorry, but due to your geographic location, we cannot allow you to gain access to this content.

If you believe this to be an error, please e-mail us your information at Webmaster[@]Funimation.com

© 2008-2009 FUNimation Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.
:lol: guess its back to fansubs
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Lol.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Nuke wrote:Hmm. When I try to watch it I get this wonderfull error.
We're sorry, but due to your geographic location, we cannot allow you to gain access to this content.

If you believe this to be an error, please e-mail us your information at Webmaster[@]Funimation.com

© 2008-2009 FUNimation Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.
:lol: guess its back to fansubs
lol, hmmz. Intersting.

I wonder where they think you are located?

Spoiler (show)