SA's brightest spark hits road(Electric car)

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

SA's brightest spark hits road(Electric car)

Post by DeathStrike »

Johannesburg - Meet Joule, Africa's soon-to-be brightest spark. It has four wheels and six seats and needs no fuel to perform.

The continent's first electric vehicle will power onto the market at the end of 2010.

Optimal Energy, a privately-owned SA company, unveiled plans to launch the zero emission, six seater multi-purpose vehicle, named Joule, on Wednesday.

It will take about seven hours for Joule, who was designed by a South African, to re-charge its battery before it is set for a 200-kilometre trip.
http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology ... 29,00.html

What you guys think? is it worth it? i like it cos i don't drive 200km a day. so i could easily charge it again at nite. hehehe. but then again like with all cellphones i'm sure the batteries have a max amount of times it can be recharged b4 they must be replaced. how much would that cost. the car goes 4 R200,000.
Last edited by DeathStrike on 02 Oct 2008, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
SoulBlade

Re: SA's brightest spark hits road

Post by SoulBlade »

It doesn't look to bright though. I'd get one if it looks normal and priced at R50k.
How do I recharge it? An extension cord from my flat window out to street? :-)
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I also read that they are taking it to the Paris Auto show. It doesn't look bad either. And for R200000 its actually not badly priced either.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Eskom are probably lloking at this and going "Oh FFS! Just when we thought we could get some control on our power grid!" :lol:.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Anakha56 wrote:Eskom are probably lloking at this and going "Oh FFS! Just when we thought we could get some control on our power grid!" :lol:.
that was a "load" of nonsense because Eskom always had the grid under control - they just created an excuse for the price increase - notice how after the price increase there is no more story about power shortages etc - and i havent changed my electricity usage - in fact i now use more - so wheres the frikking shortage - they are a bunch of twats

about the car - its a good idea if it go more than 200km
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I think the title needs work. A lot of work.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

[OT] I saw your kit last night :lol:[/OT]
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

/OT OMG now your just messing with me. Been hankering for that damn SS for ages now.
*sigh*
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

the title comes from the article. lol. :lol: i always post the original title when i quote a story. :roll:
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Frozenfireside

Re: SA's brightest spark hits road(Electric car)

Post by Frozenfireside »

Yeah I figured but they were very unimaginative. That has been used millions of times.
We need some new clichés! :mrgreen:
Dustman

Post by Dustman »

I like the idea and does come with some prestige that we are able to design such a car. But I foresee a lot of challenges.

Eskom
Limited range before charge -> Fuel Station / Power Station -> Most do not provide the infrastructure required to do this.
Eskom
Batteries are really bad when you dispose of them e.g. acids; are we really better of that CO2?
Eskom
The price makes it difficult for the middle class to buy, especially during these hard economic times.
Eskom
Eskom
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Dustman wrote:I like the idea and does come with some prestige that we are able to design such a car. But I foresee a lot of challenges.

Eskom
Limited range before charge -> Fuel Station / Power Station -> Most do not provide the infrastructure required to do this.
Eskom
Batteries are really bad when you dispose of them e.g. acids; are we really better of that CO2?
Eskom
The price makes it difficult for the middle class to buy, especially during these hard economic times.
Eskom
Eskom
Yip so poor people who cant cope with petrol prices wont be able to afford it.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

A company with zero experience designing an exotic car = trouble. Electric is exotic IMO, there are very few successful examples. Hopefully they pull it off, R200k is a good price for a large commuter vehicle, I wonder if some of that is substituted by the co. I wish them luck but I don't reckon this thing will be successful.

Electric / hybrid cars actually end up using more resources than normal vehicles according to a few sources (there was a conspiracy theory about a Hummer H2 being more eco friendly than the Toyota Prius at the end of the day with our current technology - I think the maintenance and manufacturing take a lot out of our resources). It's good that we are exploring alternate sources but the first few tries normally end up as flops. You have to wait for "SP1" or second/third gen for it to be viable and trouble free.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Dustman

Post by Dustman »

I read that solar energy conversion is becoming more and more efficient. Maybe converging the technologies so that solar energy recharges the batteries might result in less load on Eskom and a more viable approach.

I wish the company luck and hope they are successful. Myself will wait until the technology matures a bit, before I make any drastic leaps.