Civic SQ build log

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Civic SQ build log

Post by maxxis »

Might as well jump on the wagon here and give you guys some insight into my Civics upgrade

http://www.systemshock.co.za/forums/ind ... opic=25284
naughty

Re: Civic SQ build log

Post by naughty »

definitely going to be a great sounding system IMHO - i can see that you are putting lots of effort into making the end result sound terrific ie the Dynamat etc - only thing is id cover up those holes in the doors even if it means using masonite to mask them and putting some dynamat onto that - seal up those doors and it will reward you with some awesome midbass from those iridiums
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

I sealed up the holes last night with dynamat only.

I need to get some 4mm plexi to cut perfectly fitting templates around the holes and seal that to the door before adding another layer of dynamat over it.

Now that I think about it im going to cut the holes open again and restart the sealing. Problem is the shape of the hole and the flow of the panel makes it close to impossible to seal them with something rigid.
naughty

Post by naughty »

maxxis wrote:I sealed up the holes last night with dynamat only.

I need to get some 4mm plexi to cut perfectly fitting templates around the holes and seal that to the door before adding another layer of dynamat over it.

Now that I think about it im going to cut the holes open again and restart the sealing. Problem is the shape of the hole and the flow of the panel makes it close to impossible to seal them with something rigid.
problem with dynamat only is that the dynamat would be floppy and thus create a weak link in that section - so even a midbass speaker is going to cause some pressure in that door - so whenever for example a kick drum slams then you will have that section flopping around - it will no doubt be held a bit by the door card - but still in effect it will just be moving to the effects of the pressure created and IMHO its not a good enough

if you dont cover the holes the front wave and the back wave gets a chance to mix - and that loses you more of the lower frequency information - so its a bit of a catch 22 situation - its not compulsory to use something as rigid as plexi - masonite will do just as well - just cut a bit of masonite into the required shape and you can use silicone on the edges - and maybe reinforce that with a few self tapping screws - and then cover that up with the dynamat - this would then be strong enough in my opinion - thats more or less how i would do it - you do get thin MDF - but it probably still isnt thin enough ie masonite can be as thin as the perspex/plexi you intend to use
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Ill sit and do a bit of thinking on that.

The last thing I want it floppy midbass after doing all that work on the doors.

Thanks for the feedback.
naughty

Post by naughty »

if you are not going to use anything solid to block the holes then dynamat reckons you need to use dynaplate first - then use a couple of layers of dynamat on top of that

another idea ive read is to take some metal mesh mesh and put that in there and use th edynamat on top of that - it gives the dynamat a sort of frame to hang on to and works okay

heres a guy who used some plastic (ABS)

hole to be covered

he used double sided tape and also screws at some points to hold it down

dampening done

in another door he used metal and welded that in to cover up the holes

hole in the door

cut and weld

you dont need to go to this extent - but just showing you what some of the guys get up to - some people say that you dont need to do all of this cos you cant really completely seal the doors mainly cos at the bottom of the doors you still need some drainage holes - otherwise water will collect at the bottom and take forever to dissipate - others just do what you originally did and just use the dynamat (im not a fan of that method unless you use some steel mesh to give it a frame as ive mentioned above) but you can also take a chance that your door cards will fit flush and do the job of sealing the holes sufficiently - but why i say you need to cover the holes is that all my previous cars have had holes all over - whereas the POLO is just one completely sealed unit and you need to hear the amount of midbass i get from a 6,5" speaker - at SQ volumes the sub wont be missed if it isnt there :mrgreen: - sure it wont sound as deep and low but it still give a lot of impact to kick drums etc
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I want to try this but I'm scared of destroying my cars door.
I don't think it will happen but hands on is different to thinking now isn't it?
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Thanks Naughty. I actually looked at that thread yesterday and im rethinking the doors a bit now.

I had to get some 3mm MDF for something else and I have quite a bit let over to use to cover the holes up.

Also got some decron this morning to complete the door panels.

Spent some time last night repairing the one panel that was cracked so that is done now.

Now to complete the doors.

My mids should be in my hands on Sunday or Monday morning so then I can continue with everything.

Frozen. The only part you could possibly screw up with a door is when you strip them down to the base metal. The biggest thing is that you can break some panel clips which is easy to replace.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Ok. I saw that guide in the Speed and Sound so maybe I have a stab at it sometime.
Where can I get Dynamat and dynaplate? I know there is a shortage at the moment.

Edit: NM
http://www.wantitall.co.za/Dynamat/All/p1
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Get from Kevin. Wantitall.co.za is nuts.

The bulk pack they have is about R1000 over retail price on one and about right on another. Looks a little off to me.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Ok but I think I need to buy from someone who bought a bulk pack as I'm not sure I need 9 panels.

I'll speak to a few people @ SNS who are coming to the next workshop :idea:
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Funny thing is I used 7 sheets on the doors alone :o

The remaining 2 sheets im clinging to like a nut. I want to see when the mids arrive what the mid bass is like in the doors and if I still have resonance.

Drove the car to work this morning for the first time in 2 weeks and all I can say is the dynamat made a huge difference to the overall cabin noise. The car is more quiet and no more rattles and squeaks from the doors.

The second bulk pack should sort out the rest of the car.

For now the project is on hold until the 3" midrange drivers arrive. Also need to get the new cabling which is costing a freaking fortune.

Might do Booysens with a 2 way active setup which means I have a load of work to do on the car before the 11th.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Nuts cling?! OMG.

I see. that's an issue since it's in the thousands for a bulk pack but I don't have thousands. DOh
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

OMGWTFBBQ! wantitall.co.za has it's head so far up it's own backside it's amazing.
The prices are insane. Arctic silver 5 paste is R482 when it costs R100 retail.

I spoke to Kev. I'm looking at 3-4 sheets of Dynamat just for my 2 front doors.
I have a roller for art stuff so that might work.
I'll see if I can't get my door panels off sometime after I've recovered from having my wisdoms out.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Heard about that.

Good luck with the recovery man.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Just noticed now I abandoned this thread :D

Anyways

The final product

Custom built speaker pods

Boot install

Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

:shock: awesome...
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Time for an update

Since the previous update Ive spent a lot of time in the car listening, tuning etc etc.

First things first. I had to repair the covers for the kick panels from when I had the midrange and tweeter in there. Im sure kicks work for some people and some cars. It didn't work for me.

Patched up the holes.

Filled and sanded down

Craylon texture coat applied.

Reinstalled. Excuse the crappy image quality on the last photo. Silly cellphone camera.

Moving on.

The sound stage had some minor issues on the higher frequencies and it was traced back to the tweeters being too low in the door builds. It kept pulling the stage down on the sides and the tweeter lacked transparency.

The solution. Cut the tweeters off and mold them in the a-pillars.

Pods trimmed, glassed and sanded. Ready for vinyl.

Vinyl going on.

All done. Midrange grilles installed.

Now my next problem was more cosmetic than anything else. I built a set of door builds just before finals but I wasn't quite happy with them. There were some gaps and the finish wasn't quite up to standard. Also couldn't fit the factory DLS grilles to them.

Placement testing

Getting ready to glass

Glass drying

Rough trim of the glass shell and the mdf rings positioned. For some reason my camera makes them look really distorted. They are in fact quite straight and round :D

Test fit of the shell on the door.

Glassed and filled. Ready to sand the crap out of it.

Sanded. Test fit on door.

Almost ready to vinyl. Then its on to the left door :(. Man this takes forever.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Damn! I long for my future pay check to cover all this sound.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

:D

I know that feeling. Everything just keeps adding up and up and up.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I honestly don't know why you want a new car maxxis, although you might feel a little older and want a more mature car (as if), you have pumped so much cash into the Civic and I'm sure you would be annoyed that you can't get a new car and have decent sound.

If you keep the Civic you keep your sound!!! Plus some money for a rainy day.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Im not planning on selling the Civic at all. The Jazz is for sale :lol:

There is not chance in hell that I'm ever selling the Civic. All that work and no way of getting any additional money for it. No chance.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Wait you have a Jazz? my mom wants one. PM me details please. Really. We need to get rid of the fuel sucking volvo.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Jazz VTEC to be exact

PM Sent.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

WOW ou!

Lyk flippen goed!