Audio upgrade for Toyota Corolla 2003

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Belix

Audio upgrade for Toyota Corolla 2003

Post by Belix »

Hi Folks
Received my complimentary ipod the other day and wondered what to do with it...

The car came to mind!

Need some input on doing some upgrades to the ol stock Toyota Corolla audio system. I'm out for quality, not doof doof volume and bass. I also don't want anything to look any different either (will hide ipod in the centre console or cubby. I don't want to remove the stock headunit as it is a proprietry shape that cannot easily be replaced (seems can replace it with a couple US models, but it seems a shlep).

First thing I'll need is a Ipod connector. Seems I can get dension gateway 100 unit that plugs into the diskchanger input and will provide some control to an ipod including (but not definate) song title on the head unit although the large character display makes it not great...but usable. Seems cost is about R1800.00.

Next is to rip out the stock front door speakers - would like a set of splits, but not sure what size is currently in there. What's a good make? Still possible to get infinity stuff locally? Any idea of cost? R1500.00?

Then its the rears. Seems the US corolla's have rear shelf speakers but our models have rear door units - or at least mine does. Again, not sure of the size. Suppose anything really for the back doors. Some multispeaker or dual cone units? R500?

Lastly, I'd like a little sub encloser slipped under the front seats - aim to leave the boot stock too. I don't know if the stock audio setup has any amp, but I'll guess not - so will have to add a small amp under the other front seat. R1000+R1000?

Anyone that can help with speaker sizes, quality speaker and good prices, yudda yudda, hurdles etc would be greatly appreciated!!

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Audio upgrade for Toyota Corolla 2003

Post by maxxis »

PM Sent