Birdy the Mighty Decode (First Impressions)

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Birdy the Mighty Decode (First Impressions)

Post by larch »

Tsutomu Senkawa is an average high school kid who is busy studying for his senior entrance exams. Tsutomu goes out for some fresh air, after a hard day’s work studying for a big test, when he runs into a guy fleeing from a pretty young lady. The pursued man is actually an interplanetary criminal on the run from a Federation agent called Birdy Cephon Altera. Caught in the midst of this chase, Tsutomu gets thrown by the man at Birdy, which kills Tsutomu. Fortunately for Tsutomu, there is a way to keep him alive, although it comes at the price of discarding his body. He ends up merged into Birdy’s body.

So Tsutomu is stuck sharing a body with a rather attractive, yet very strong but impulsive, space police agent, while trying to keep his apathetic family and more importantly, his girlfriend, from finding out about his woman problems. In the meantime, to make matters worse, Birdy still has to do her job. Together, they take on a rather secretive group of evil aliens planning to perform maniacal experiments on the unsuspecting inhabitants of Tokyo.

I see they are bringing back all of the golden oldie anime shows that I enjoyed so much first it was Slayers and now Birdy the Mighty, not that I am complaining as these shows was and still is truly awesome as they set the bench mark for the anime shows that followed after it. For those of you who haven’t heard of Birdy the Mighty before here is some backround information about the orginal series to get you up to speed on the current series entitled Birdy the Mighty Decode.

Birdy the Mighty is manga by Masami Yuki, who is best known for producing the long-running series Patlabor. His initial work on the series was quickly abandoned, but it was made into an anime, which was produced and, on the last episode, scripted by Yoshiaki Kawajiri, who is known for anime titles such as Vampire Hunter D, and Ninja Scroll. The character designer and animation director for the series was Kumiko Takahashi. An yes the original show is more than 13 years old !

So what is the difference between the 1985 version of Birdy the Mighty and the new Birdy the Mighty decode ? Well it is basically a re-telling of the original shows story, the series also features a different seiyū cast (Voice acting.) from the original OVA series. And of course a fresh new animation style that is very reminiscent of a show called Neoin, with awesomely animated action scenes that are truly amazing to watch.

Now the question is does it deliver on the pure amount of action that the first series was known for ? And does it pack the same punch as the original series ? After watching the first episode I am more than happy to report that it does in fact deliver the goods and then even some more. It basically follows the original series frame for frame, but delivers a bigger punch with improved visuals, character designs and sound.

I can highly recommend watching this if you missed the original 1985 show, or if you are one of those people who don’t like pre 90`s anime shows due to either the animation or story. Birdy the Mighty Decode is a perfect re-telling of the original show and does it great justice in brining a late 80`s anime to the current generation of anime viewers. I shall definitely be keeping a close eye on the show.

On a side note I was looking for a proper sub group for the series, so I downloaded the first episode of each fansub group that has subbed the series so far. And the only sub group that strikes a good balance between quality and subtitles was ChromaSubs, you can find there website here. And what makes it even nicer they have direct downloads for those of you who don’t want to use torrents.

http://isochroma.com/Testfiles/Projects/BtM/BtM.htm
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

That last screen's the one that pwnd Tsutomu lol - it wasn't the throw that killed him

Yes nice show, just wish it was HD. I pulled from Tadashi|Wyvern but I'll check out CS now.

Never saw either the manga or the 80's show before this. Like Birdy though, she's like a teenage superwoman, strong. I'll stick with this too.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:That last screen's the one that pwnd Tsutomu lol - it wasn't the throw that killed him

Yes nice show, just wish it was HD. I pulled from Tadashi|Wyvern but I'll check out CS now.

Never saw either the manga or the 80's show before this. Like Birdy though, she's like a teenage superwoman, strong. I'll stick with this too.
ChromaSubs are HD:
Major Type: Video - Sub Type: YV12 Format: VideoInfo2 YV12 1280X720, 12 bits
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Saw that when I pulled it earlier, thanks. It's hard going from HD to SD. Just about all my currently running shows are HD luckily.

Their release is just fine. The video quality is not quite up there with Geass R2 for example, but the audio, fonts and actual sub are pretty good. I noticed they drop more shows than they complete though so here's hoping they'll see this series through, and release often, not in the mood for another Ayako.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:Saw that when I pulled it earlier, thanks. It's hard going from HD to SD. Just about all my currently running shows are HD luckily.

Their release is just fine. The video quality is not quite up there with Geass R2 for example, but the audio, fonts and actual sub are pretty good. I noticed they drop more shows than they complete though so here's hoping they'll see this series through, and release often, not in the mood for another Ayako.
It is only a 6 OVA series so I doubt they will drop it.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Oh? Short and sweet then.
larch

Post by larch »

Yeah the original was exactly the same length.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

When I read about this series a while back it caught my attention due to its name and the poster pic which was posted seemed rather interesting.

I get a summary off anidb and have been waiting for it...
I kinda forgot about it, then I found a nice site with DDL's for anime and saw it there and decided to get it, I got the Infinate Zero releases. Ill switch to the Chroma subs releases though :D

Cant wait for it to finish so I can watch it, episode 2 is out already, soo, shouldnt be too long till its done :D
Around 4/5 weeks? :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
larch

Post by larch »

I-Z's version of Birdy was horrid 140mb episodes with lime green subtitles..*shudders*
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

I haven't seen a single HD video yet.. seems like I am missing something ?
What does it look like :P
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Anthropoid wrote:I haven't seen a single HD video yet.. seems like I am missing something ?
What does it look like :P
This is HD, 1280x720p.

Late last year Japan switched to HD broadcasts, hence most new shows are HD source. On a 17' and 19' monitor, it will span your screen at default display. For full HD 1080p you require a 24' + display. I'm not mentioning TV's as just about all new releases nowadays are Matroska, with index and chapters, which we watch on PC.

ImageImageImageImageImage
The evolution of fansubs, L-R, DVD being second last.

See why no one can ever stop fansubs? Technology itself, is standing in their way. A while back I noted a poll on a popular forum, DVD vs HDTV. Wanna guess the verdict?

Remember, to watch full screen, like we all do, the source need be upscalled to fit our displays, resulting in a loss of quality.
larch

Post by larch »

AH, crap :P
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Hold Mackerel - that is noticeably different ! :o
I want !
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Anthro, a 720p of Code Geass by Eclipse ;)
The clarity and quality of the video is amazing from the bit iv seen...iv only skipped through a few episodes though ;) :D

The 720p pic
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I'm also pulling from Eclipse, yeah, nice encodes.
Rayne

Re: Birdy the Mighty Decode (First Impressions)

Post by Rayne »

I just knew those oke's would drop it and now I'm stuck with subs from hell. This is actually hampering my enjoyment of the show. Seen more spelling errors in 4 episodes than I did in all the anime I've seen this past 5 years combined.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:I just knew those oke's would drop it and now I'm stuck with subs from hell. This is actually hampering my enjoyment of the show. Seen more spelling errors in 4 episodes than I did in all the anime I've seen this past 5 years combined.
By "these guys" You mean Chroma subs? I dropped my Chroma Subs releases a while ago..

I picked up the Enima releases althoug they are SUPER DUPER UBER SLOW!! :(
You watching the Aoshen subs?

Spoiler (show)
larch

Post by larch »

Aoshen is uber crap quality.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah AoShen, the **** noobs. Though, believe it or not there's an even worse group, XedO doing Kannagi, omfg... Seriously, I can watch this eps RAW and probably understand more. Tried them out because Ayako drops too many shows but in the end I had to stick with them after all.

Oh well so much for Birdy still on ep #6.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Really sucks how the subbers can ruin a potential (or really good series) and make it utter sheet!!!

Spoiler (show)