Lambo Vs Citigolf (Bandwidth Warning)

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

Post by Prime »

PaperCut wrote:le story:
4 die in horror sports car crash

Jul 13 2008 11:58:51:290PM
Lauren Thys

Just weeks after his parents gave him a red Lamborghini Diablo worth millions of rands as a gift, Brett Scott has died in an horrific car crash in Johannesburg.
Johannesburg - A 22-year-old man died in a car accident on Sunday in an Italian sports car worth millions of rands, which he had received as a gift from his parents only three weeks ago.
The accident took place at about 04:50 on Witkoppen Road, north of Johannesburg.
Three other people also died in the accident.
Brett Scott lost control of his red Lamborghini Diablo Roadster while going around a bend, presumably at high speed, crashed into another car and burnt to death in the car wreck.

Parents identify burnt body

Terry and Leslie Scott had to identify their son's burnt up body at the scene of the accident on Sunday morning.
Spokesperson of the Johannesburg metro police, Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar, said Brett of Boskruin, near Fourways in northern Johannesburg, lost control of the vehicle at the corner of Riverbend Road.
"The Lamborghini landed on the other side of the road where it collided with a black Volkswagen Golf belonging to Top Security.
The vehicles caught alight and both drivers burned to death in their cars," Minnaar said.
Albert Ncube, 42, was driving the Golf. His two passengers, a man and a woman whose names were not yet known, also died.
Spokesperson for Netcare911 Nick Dollman said that there had been a massive impact.
"The front wheel of the Golf was on the same level as the door handle and the car was more or less halved in size."
'So much life'
A spokesperson on behalf of the Scott family, Jean Bedou, said the family was very traumatised.
"Brett was loved by his friends and had so much life ahead of him. His family is completely stunned."
Brett was a financial advisor at a company in Cresta in Johannesburg.
Gary Ronald, spokesperson of the Automobile Association (AA), said that training played an important role when driving a super-powerful sports car like a Lamborghini.
"It's just stupid getting into a Lamborghini if you're not trained.
Leo Kok, editor of MotorBeeld, said the Diablo was not manufactured anymore but was still comparable with Lamborghini's latest models.
He added that the Diablo had a reputation as a "sometimes unpredictable" model.
It was not known which year's Brett's Diablo was but Kok estimated that the vehicle was more or less worth between R2.5m and R3.5m.

i'm trying to find le sauce, I just got this in an email with the pics attached :lookround:
OMG i do believe i went to school with this douche bag! Would it help if i pointed out that the person i knew was a moron with far to much money and no brains! :roll:
Last edited by Prime on 18 Jul 2008, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

pls edit your post.

:crazy:
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
Prime

Post by Prime »

PaperCut wrote:pls edit your post.

:crazy:
sorry, it keeps doing that. Damn IE. i prefer firefox.

----

My uncle drives at speed. Speed does contribute to accidents, because even if you are skilled as a driver, no one expects another car at those sort of speeds and it gteatly reduces ones response time on both end. and yes, 60km/h as a general speed limit is a bit slow and i could understand people doing 80kms/h but 200km/h? :roll: (i don't have time to read the links to other articles of site, so this might be wrong)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Then use FireFox
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Prime

Post by Prime »

Hman wrote:Then use FireFox
I do, at home. this is varsity
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

da_ripper wrote:
PaperCut wrote:le story:
4 die in horror sports car crash

Jul 13 2008 11:58:51:290PM
Lauren Thys

Just weeks after his parents gave him a red Lamborghini Diablo worth millions of rands as a gift, Brett Scott has died in an horrific car crash in Johannesburg.
Johannesburg - A 22-year-old man died in a car accident on Sunday in an Italian sports car worth millions of rands, which he had received as a gift from his parents only three weeks ago.
The accident took place at about 04:50 on Witkoppen Road, north of Johannesburg.
Three other people also died in the accident.
Brett Scott lost control of his red Lamborghini Diablo Roadster while going around a bend, presumably at high speed, crashed into another car and burnt to death in the car wreck.

Parents identify burnt body

Terry and Leslie Scott had to identify their son's burnt up body at the scene of the accident on Sunday morning.
Spokesperson of the Johannesburg metro police, Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar, said Brett of Boskruin, near Fourways in northern Johannesburg, lost control of the vehicle at the corner of Riverbend Road.
"The Lamborghini landed on the other side of the road where it collided with a black Volkswagen Golf belonging to Top Security.
The vehicles caught alight and both drivers burned to death in their cars," Minnaar said.
Albert Ncube, 42, was driving the Golf. His two passengers, a man and a woman whose names were not yet known, also died.
Spokesperson for Netcare911 Nick Dollman said that there had been a massive impact.
"The front wheel of the Golf was on the same level as the door handle and the car was more or less halved in size."
'So much life'
A spokesperson on behalf of the Scott family, Jean Bedou, said the family was very traumatised.
"Brett was loved by his friends and had so much life ahead of him. His family is completely stunned."
Brett was a financial advisor at a company in Cresta in Johannesburg.
Gary Ronald, spokesperson of the Automobile Association (AA), said that training played an important role when driving a super-powerful sports car like a Lamborghini.
"It's just stupid getting into a Lamborghini if you're not trained.
Leo Kok, editor of MotorBeeld, said the Diablo was not manufactured anymore but was still comparable with Lamborghini's latest models.
He added that the Diablo had a reputation as a "sometimes unpredictable" model.
It was not known which year's Brett's Diablo was but Kok estimated that the vehicle was more or less worth between R2.5m and R3.5m.

i'm trying to find le sauce, I just got this in an email with the pics attached :lookround:
OMG i do believe i went to school with this douche bag! Would it help if i pointed out that the person i knew was a moron with far to much money and no brains! :roll:
Obviously you didn't then... :roll:

This guy was definitely no douche bag and even though was only 22 was making lots his own money and had a very bright future ahead of him.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Speed doesn't kill! Its teh lack of proper driving skill that kills.
Wrong!

If you drive lets say do 160 in a 120 Zone someone slips up by not seeing you in their bind side and they come over to your lane to by pass a truck or something doing about 80 to 100, your chances are way lower to evade the accident if you were to be sticking to 120. what not 200Kmph

Its easy to say and talk about it than it is to actually be in the situation.

no amount of skill can prevent someone else cause an accident.
and in the end if you were not speeding it would not have happened.

Its like a proffessional driver driving without a license on the road and some
person comes allon and crashes into you, You were not supposed to be there in the first place. same with speeding you were not supposed to be there, Its a time thing :lol:
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

SBSP wrote:
Speed doesn't kill! Its teh lack of proper driving skill that kills.
Wrong!

If you drive lets say do 160 in a 120 Zone someone slips up by not seeing you in their bind side and they come over to your lane to by pass a truck or something doing about 80 to 100, your chances are way lower to evade the accident if you were to be sticking to 120. what not 200Kmph

Its easy to say and talk about it than it is to actually be in the situation.

no amount of skill can prevent someone else cause an accident.
and in the end if you were not speeding it would not have happened.

Its like a proffessional driver driving without a license on the road and some
person comes allon and crashes into you, You were not supposed to be there in the first place. same with speeding you were not supposed to be there, Its a time thing :lol:
Fewer people died on German roads in 2007 than at any time since 1953, the year in which the government began to keep records.
The Federal Statistics Office said the death toll, at 4970, was 2.4 percent lower than 2006 but the number of road injuries rose by 2.2 percent during the same period to 431 500

South Africa's annual road death toll is around 30 000 - Sapa-DPA
Source

Speed is not the contributing factor in road accidents, because if it was, then Germany would have the highest raod death toll than anywhere else int he world.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Germans have more control over traffic. They dont have taxies owning the roads , and people like us that speed and never get caught.

and we dont have an autobahn built for speed (And cant be compared), and i'm sure their goverments dont waste their money to go on hollidays instead they spend to upgrade and maintain their roads.

there is a reason for speed limits. Cus the road is not in such a state to speed on. if everyone obeys the law our stats will drop to be the same.

Speed kills like you kill bytes

:lol:
naughty

Post by naughty »

yes - to actually compare germany to SA is hilarious - KB you just make me LOL louder each time you type something - hit one of our potholes at 160 and then see what happens - i lost 3 pirrelli p-zero nero tyres valued at R3500 each travelling at under 60km/h - god forbid if i was doing a high speed at that time - but you cannot do high speeds taking off from robots - if central town is so bad imagine the freeways

BTW RyanRich i find it amusing that you are the one telling everyone that they shouldnt have an opinion ...... if i remember correctly sometime back in the VWclub forum you got away with a blatantly pompous arrogant opinion that a Polo gti was a "posers car" - so if you feel free to provide us with your opinions when we opine that your friend was an idiot why do you get heated up - you certainly are not going to change our opinion and your stance on this issue smacks a lot like hypocrisy (just my opinion)

whether the person in the golf was supposed to be giving lifts or not it is irrelevant - what is relevant is that other people lost their lives whan some pompous overbearing idiot who thought he was the worlds answer to Michael Schumacher (when he cannot even drive as well as michaels P_U_B_I_C hair) decided to go formula one on a public road - end of the story to me - just my opinion
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Prime

Post by Prime »

The thing is, on germany's autobahn, people know that others are going at speed and to anticipate it. Germans also don't drive like morons. I can't think of a single incident of my uncle(a different one) or grandfather using his hooter when i was there with them.

ryan, its possible that its not the same individual. However, driving any car at 200km/h in a 60 zone still makes you a douche bag in my books, even more so when its not your car ;)

and the kid's boss, also had a responsibility. If he really wanted to do something for the kid, he should have take him to kyalami and let him open throttle on the track Or at the high speed ring at gerotek.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

The laws regarding the Autobahn are also VERY strict wrt what speeds you may do in which lane. You don't simply go fast anywhere because you can, the fast lane is for the fast cars, the middle lanes have specific minimum and maximum speeds. If you're in the fast lane you will be doing at LEAST XX KM/h, it's not free reign.

In this country you can only speed if you're in the yellow lane and overloaded, apparently.
to ápeiro anima
warmachine

Post by warmachine »

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n322 ... o-0134.jpg

last night. i wasnt speeding. i drive a 1300 mazda rustler that cant go over 100. (i know its FTL)
Phenom 9600 @ 2.8 1.45v w/coolermaster hypertx 2 - MSi K9a2 Platinum w/P.0.j Bios - Corsair Dominator 1066 @ 2.3v - 2xSapphire hd3850\'s @750/1900 - Coolemaster cm690 - Antec NeoPower 500 watt modular. Soundblaster Audigy
Pieterpan
Location: At the Rock concert . Third row there somewhere between the other people. .... .

Post by Pieterpan »

My opinion in the matter . I dont think any one should drive that speed in the condition of these roads . Sure we dont know what happend , all very sad . But nothing we can do anyways .
Member of The Phoenix's Garters
--------------------------------------
* Biostar T-Series Motherboard TF7100PM7
* Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.5Ghz
* 3GB DDR2 Kingston RAM 800
* 1x 250GB 1x 80GB 1x 40 GB HDD
* GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3

...Join the Dark side . .. We have cookies!
warmachine

Post by warmachine »

who says the lambo was driving fast? i think it was the golf that was doing 200 and the lambo was doing 80. its the perfect crime
Phenom 9600 @ 2.8 1.45v w/coolermaster hypertx 2 - MSi K9a2 Platinum w/P.0.j Bios - Corsair Dominator 1066 @ 2.3v - 2xSapphire hd3850\'s @750/1900 - Coolemaster cm690 - Antec NeoPower 500 watt modular. Soundblaster Audigy
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

It could have been the golfs fault if he was doing something stupid, but in this case, doing 200km/h+ in a 60 zone is the main contributing factor. You look right at a stop street and see a cars lights far away in the distance (in the dark at night) and you turn left, the guy in the Diablo swerves and loses control trying to avoid you. You should have judged the speed but at the same time, doing ludicrous speed (they've gone to plad!) is not an option on a public road at 4:50am in the morning, he's probably been drinking at a club or party and over confident, especially that late at night going from place to place bragging.

You can't judge speed in the night at far distances, all you see is 2 lights getting further and further apart. 200km/h is 55m/s. In 10 seconds he's done more than half a km. At 240km/h he's doing a km in 15 seconds, that is a crazy speed to do on that road.

If I had that car I'd find a nice stretch of quiet road with no cameras and push it. One of my bosses had an R1 and he showed me the road he hit 295 km/h. I would try see what it's capable of but I'd stop at 250km/h. It's way too fast. On normal roads I'd drive it at absolute max 100km/h in a 60 zone, going faster is crazy, there could be kids or animals from houses running out into the road. 100km/h in a Diablo is much safer than 60km/h in a truck or taxi.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

that couldnt have been lambo @ 200km/h!

would have looked worse! that nose is to good looking still for those speeds!

the spokesperson of the family also anticipated the vallue of the diablo WAY wrongly!

they said 2.5 - 3.5 mil... error!

the DIABLO is estimated at 4 - 5.5 mil as it was limited edition!
warmachine wrote:who says the lambo was driving fast? i think it was the golf that was doing 200 and the lambo was doing 80. its the perfect crime
dont make me laugh!

AND

suggests that the Golf was struck at a high speed and not that the golf struck something at high speed!

Have u ANY idea what force and pressure it takes to rip apart a gearbox like that?

AND

AND

suggests high impact into an object in this case the Vtroubleyou Golf taking impact from the right front side of the lambo, causing lambo to lose the following!

which then indicates the lambo was spinning! (look at where all the parts are located in the pics)

for those who never knew what the DIABLO looked like here a pic!

and this is the Gearbox of a Diablo :

AND!

another factor u should look at is if the GOLF was doing 200 the Lambo would have anded up different as youre approach would be different! :)

and the Vtroubleyou would end up looking different as well as the Vtroubleyou would also be positioned different and behind the lambo after catching air :)
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Spicy-McHaggis wrote:that couldnt have been lambo @ 200km/h!

would have looked worse! that nose is to good looking still for those speeds!
The main damage is to the side of the lambo... So it looks like it hit the golf side on. That lambo doesn't look like it hit anything with its front end
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Spicy-McHaggis wrote:which then indicates the lambo was spinning! (look at where all the parts are located in the pics)
Hman wrote:At 200Km/h swerving out for another car has a high probability of getting the mid-engined Lambo to snap-spin, in which case the driver would have 0 control over the car.
Buyakasha!
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Lambos are built for the track and even though it didn't have a roll cage, you'd have to be going very fast to that amount of damage. They are built to be crashed.

I don't think the golf could do 200km/h if it was a Citi golf. Golf 5 GTi could do it with ease but not the cars they give security guards, those cars are the cheapest they can find. :P
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Hex_Rated wrote:not the cars they give security guards, those cars are the cheapest they can find. :P
:lol:

I always have a chuckle at the rent-a-cops out to foil crime in an Uno or a Tazz.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Hex_Rated wrote:Lambos are built for the track and even though it didn't have a roll cage, you'd have to be going very fast to that amount of damage. They are built to be crashed.
dude, supercars (like the diablo) are built to go fast, not crash. Their bodies are made of plastic to make them as light as possible, so causing panel damage on the scale we see is quite easy. There was a show recently on TV called Bullrun. There was a guy in a Muircelago, who bowed out precisely because his car was losing body panels.

on a different note, how does anyone know that the kid was doing 200? did some bystander just happen to have a radar gun on him and recorded the event?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Supercars are built for the track, those things crash at ridiculous speeds and the driver gets out unhurt, they are built to dissolve in a crash and absorb the impact energy, although I think the roll cage probably plays a big part. Also if this kid hit the golf head on at that speed, I don't even think a roll cage will help. That would be a massive chance of death. Those cars normally end up only in tyre walls at 300km/hr.

RE the 200km/hr: They can use forensic ballistics to work it out. High profile case like this will get skidmarks measured + damage and everything taken into consideration by a proper ballistics expert. They should be able to work out the approximate speeds.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Hex_Rated wrote:They can use forensic ballistics to work it out. High profile case like this will get skidmarks measured + damage and everything taken into consideration by a proper ballistics expert. They should be able to work out the approximate speeds.
SAPS JHB != CSI Miami
Prime

Post by Prime »

If anything was left of the car, i'd say, look at the spedo, it would probably jam. You can also to an extent make use of conservation momentum. Although this can be tricky because it does require many unknowns. ;)