The real reason.

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Mystical_Titan

The real reason.

Post by Mystical_Titan »

For the record, my leaving this forum and disbanding the Knights has nothing to do me losing 5,000 posts. I don’t care for post count and I never have, ask anyone who really knows me.

What really pisses me off is that a couple of years of hard work were wiped away in a matter of seconds. EVERYTHING I put in to get the Knights of the ground was gone. And it did actually take a lot of effort, everything didn’t just fall into place. And I get told “They can’t get it back”. What a load of CRAP!!! Maybe if someone had actually made some actual effort to get it back, it could have happened as I refuse to believe that PCF doesn’t keep backups of the forum. Which leads me to believe the deleting of the Knights’ thread was intentional. No-one even had the balls to claim responsibility.

And the reason that a lot of the old faces started disappearing is because they didn’t like the fact that the thread (and indeed the forum itself) was (and still is) being spammed to death by a bunch of snot-nosed kids that have barely begun going through puberty.

There is NO respect for any of the senior members of the forum. All this forum is about now is seeing who can get the most posts in the least space of time.

I DID NOT create the Knights thread as a casual thing or a place where “people can kick and let their hair down”. It was a group about honour, chivalry and integrity, something the youth of today can hardly spell, let alone grasp or understand. I created the Knights because these are the things I believe in. The Knights of the Round Table was as much an ideal as it was a group, an ideal that was completely diluted and ultimately destroyed by those that did not understand its true meaning or purpose.

This forum will never be the same. This place has gone to the dogs. Or perhaps I should say the spammers.

To the people that made the Knights fun and helped it live up to its TRUE purpose, thank you. I will see you around. To those that diluted and destroyed the Knights… I have nothing to say because it’s not worth saying anything to you.

And as is true to this forum, this post will probably be deleted quickly by some mod / admin because no-one on the forum can stand the slightest bit of criticism (which is NOT the same as flaming).

Goodbye.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

8O
Eish
jee

Post by jee »

Mystical_Titan - Sir Knight - i understand how you feel - many of us felt that way. But we are trying to make this a better place - perhaps never like it was, but that is life - nothing is ever as it was - we have to move on.

Just to reply regarding the thread. I will let you know that we try to get it back - me, Sir Rustbucket and Anakha. Still not sure how it was deleted.

We have asked Ron to look into it again.

peace.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

With regards to the thread being deleted on purpose - don't think so, it was even less obtrusive than the current 'English rubbish and spam thread'
We do have a new Admin on board that will obviously take a look at it, a question / discussion about it was in the mod lounge a while back so we can just bump that up for mediation again.
Temporary Absence
jee

Post by jee »

time to mend broken hearts?

"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Check your PM inbox. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

jee....sunbed...now.. :P
to ápeiro anima
jee

Post by jee »

Urban... have you never seen albaster skin, with ruby lips and dark hair? so soft...

that what Ladies have....
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I find it funny how VIP's (AKA Mods and Admins) are allowed to post voluptuous pictures, but as soon as RF (Regular Folk) do something similar pies start to fly..
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

wow W1k you couldnt even make a comment about the post at hand instead you had to go and attack jee :roll:. The word tasteful comes to mind WRT jee's current pic it is art, the majority of what the people on here would post would be very close to pr0n. Maybe we should just say no to any post with the female and male figure? That way we wont have the problem that you are suffering from...

M_T I am sorry to see you leave and I was devastated to see the knights thread die as well :(. With regards to this post I feel it should stay...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Wik1d - that is art.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Tribble wrote:Wik1d - that is art.
Tribble, would you like your young children looking at "art"?

Sorry for the derail..
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

WiK1d wrote:

Sorry for the derail..
Yes I would - it helps them grow as human beings. There is nothing there that they can't see on the PCF cover :P

The only thing they would ask would be "Is that sore?"
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Tribble wrote:
WiK1d wrote:

Sorry for the derail..
Yes I would - it helps them grow as human beings. There is nothing there that they can't see on the PCF cover :P
Such true words...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Ike

Post by Ike »

WiK1d wrote:I find it funny how VIP's (AKA Mods and Admins) are allowed to post voluptuous pictures, but as soon as RF (Regular Folk) do something similar pies start to fly..
+1
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

LOLWUT?
They see me trollin', they hatin'...
Prime

Re: The real reason.

Post by Prime »

Mystical_Titan wrote:For the record, my leaving this forum and disbanding the Knights has nothing to do me losing 5,000 posts. I don’t care for post count and I never have, ask anyone who really knows me.

What really pisses me off is that a couple of years of hard work were wiped away in a matter of seconds. EVERYTHING I put in to get the Knights of the ground was gone. And it did actually take a lot of effort, everything didn’t just fall into place. And I get told “They can’t get it back”. What a load of CRAP!!! Maybe if someone had actually made some actual effort to get it back, it could have happened as I refuse to believe that PCF doesn’t keep backups of the forum. Which leads me to believe the deleting of the Knights’ thread was intentional. No-one even had the balls to claim responsibility.

And the reason that a lot of the old faces started disappearing is because they didn’t like the fact that the thread (and indeed the forum itself) was (and still is) being spammed to death by a bunch of snot-nosed kids that have barely begun going through puberty.

There is NO respect for any of the senior members of the forum. All this forum is about now is seeing who can get the most posts in the least space of time.

I DID NOT create the Knights thread as a casual thing or a place where “people can kick and let their hair down”. It was a group about honour, chivalry and integrity, something the youth of today can hardly spell, let alone grasp or understand. I created the Knights because these are the things I believe in. The Knights of the Round Table was as much an ideal as it was a group, an ideal that was completely diluted and ultimately destroyed by those that did not understand its true meaning or purpose.

This forum will never be the same. This place has gone to the dogs. Or perhaps I should say the spammers.

To the people that made the Knights fun and helped it live up to its TRUE purpose, thank you. I will see you around. To those that diluted and destroyed the Knights… I have nothing to say because it’s not worth saying anything to you.

And as is true to this forum, this post will probably be deleted quickly by some mod / admin because no-one on the forum can stand the slightest bit of criticism (which is NOT the same as flaming).

Goodbye.
I actually think the reason alot of us left is because we don't have time. :roll: Until Recently, I have not had regular and easy access to the internet by day. And Varsity takes up alot of my time, as i'm sure work takes up alot of yours and other peoples :wink:

and for the record, i think that many people will agree that the even the original thread was frequently spammed. its the nature of that thread, there wasn't a topic as such :roll:

And i'm not to familiar with how PHP works but i think loading a back up would sure affect not only that thread but others too, causing things to get erased and others that were deleted to reappear? :?: Ron?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

No, what you do is get hold of the backup, extract the posts belonging to the Knights thread, then re-insert into the live database. This however is WAY trickier than it sounds; may not even be feasible.

Then I'd have to resync the forum sections and users post counts - as the resync won't count posts that have been pruned (for example, there's automatic pruning in For Sale; anything older than 30 days gets automatically nuked), so some people's post counts would go down. People who have regularly been posting in those section as well as posting in threads deleted by us would be most affected - for example, WiK1D's post count would go to under 20,000, and he wouldn't be the only one. Not much I can do about that, except to tell people that it is going to happen whether they like it or not.

I am going to try and see if I can get the old thread back (I have chatted to MT and to the rest of the forum staff about this), but it may not be possible, and if it is, it may take me a while to do.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ron2K wrote:No, what you do is get hold of the backup, extract the posts belonging to the Knights thread, then re-insert into the live database. This however is WAY trickier than it sounds; may not even be feasible.

Then I'd have to resync the forum sections and users post counts - as the resync won't count posts that have been pruned (for example, there's automatic pruning in For Sale; anything older than 30 days gets automatically nuked), so some people's post counts would go down. People who have regularly been posting in those section as well as posting in threads deleted by us would be most affected - for example, WiK1D's post count would go to under 20,000, and he wouldn't be the only one. Not much I can do about that, except to tell people that it is going to happen whether they like it or not.

I am going to try and see if I can get the old thread back (I have chatted to MT and to the rest of the forum staff about this), but it may not be possible, and if it is, it may take me a while to do.
Why would post counts go down?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ron2K wrote:I am going to try and see if I can get the old thread back (I have chatted to MT and to the rest of the forum staff about this), but it may not be possible, and if it is, it may take me a while to do.
We have faith in you, Ron. If you can't just reinsert them, then maybe you can manually retype every post in the thread ... :P
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

OK, let me explain...

The forum has a feature called pruning, where all topics in certain sections can be automatically deleted after they haven't been posted to in a certain period of time. Currently, this happens in three sections: For Sale, Services Offered/Wanted, and the hidden section where we move "deleted" threads to (we don't delete threads, we move them to our hidden section, where they get nuked automatically after a certain period of time).

Now, here's the catch. When forum pruning takes place, all threads older than the threshold set get permanently removed from the database. However, forum pruning does not decrease any user post counts; it leaves them as they are.

Now, when I come around to resync the post counts, the script looks at the number of posts in the posts table (a simple "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM posts_table WHERE user_id = whatever" SQL statement for each user does the trick). Problem is, posts belonging to pruned topics are (obviously) no longer in the database, they therefore don't get counted and consequently some users end up with a decreased total post count.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with doing this (I don't care for post counts), but we do have users here who value their post count and consequently would get rather ticked off.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Lock? :\
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ron2K wrote:Now, I have absolutely no problem with doing this (I don't care for post counts), but we do have users here who value their post count and consequently would get rather ticked off.
Ooooh ... how much would G0ldback lose? Do it ... I dare you! :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I34z1k wrote:Lock? :\
F'what?
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

:oops: Seeems I didn't F5 and things were looking to get messy :P