Kara no Kyoukai

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

The novel is written all over the place and I'm going to be honest in saying the movies' are above your average anime watcher. It is not that it is that complicated, in fact I think it is very well written. It's just that, if your not paying it the attention it demands then things can become a little bit confusing. I've seen just about every blog posting about Knk, especially #3 now and omg you will not believe how many oke's are getting things wrong. The answers are all there, for each sub-story and the larger whole.

This is a murder mystery. Main story, murder mystery, a psychological thriller. This main story is made of a whole bunch of sub-stories, hence the chapters, and not one single book. Yes, everything is connected but it's written in such a way that it can be viewed stand-alone actually. Clues and answers are being thrown at you right from the start but it is not so vague that you would have forgotten about it by the time the plot unravels next year. In fact it serves as reference now, nothing more. No event you see now will be playing out again later, it will only be referred to. Besides, chapter 3 closed the first half. The 4 chapters to follow are the second half.

Lol, just getting a bit ackward as it seems I'm the only one here watching this? Just like, the best running anime at this point in time and nobodies watching this? Sure your general 26 episode anime I prefer finishing in one shot too but this, it's not needed for this, it's movies, and in that sense not like Hellsing Ultimate, continuing where it left off, either. You can actually jump right in, the individual themes you'll understand for the most part, just not the technicalities seen in it. Then again, that's what Google is for, and there's links to good sites on the first page.

If you can, watch Tsukihime (just to give you a feel of the setting, but not exactly essential either), start with the movies, and then start talking. Seriously it's been 3 months and not a single oke's made a comment on the show yet lol, wth?

But ah well, dont take me too serious now, I'm just baiting. :wink:
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Rayne wrote: Lol, just getting a bit ackward as it seems I'm the only one here watching this? Just like, the best running anime at this point in time and nobodies watching this? Sure your general 26 episode anime I prefer finishing in one shot too but this, it's not needed for this, it's movies, and in that sense not like Hellsing Ultimate, continuing where it left off, either. You can actually jump right in, the individual themes you'll understand for the most part, just not the technicalities seen in it. Then again, that's what Google is for, and there's links to good sites on the first page.
With this info in mind, I wouldn't mind getting Kara no Kyoukai. As, unfortunately, I tend to have contracted this new generation illness where one finds extremely irksome to wait for episodes.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Me too, dont get me wrong, but on this it would be a waste. The length to completion compared to answers revealed in chapter 7 only (true killer revealed whilst in the meantime none of the chapters inbetween have anything to do with this theme) is not worth the wait. Many guys blogging this have never even heard of the novel and their loving the movies. If anything, I'm looking forward to the next installment not because I need to know what I just saw, that's nicely explained thank you very much, but because it was just that damn good and I want more of it.

I heard another rumor btw, the first English chapter will be shipped with something by Viz Media. No idea how true that rings yet but if it is, we'll at least have access to the novel by the time the show ends. Then again, both reading and viewing is not required at all, the anime's as close to root as it gets.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Ha...well you have convinced me to start watching it! :D
Ill see how busy I am tomorrow and perhaps start watching tomorrow... :D

Havent watched anything REALLY good in a while now :?
The story and plot seems interesting...pitty about the time right now otherwise I would have started watching the first movie now :(
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Expected nothing less. All 7 movies will top the charts.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

A new Shiki figurine revealed at the Wonder Festival 2008.

This is her look from chapter 5 in which she trades in her knive for an ancient Katana as a weapon with history is stronger against magic. The link is Japanese and not quite safe for work but from bits and pieces seen here and there I think it's release is scheduled for end 2008.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Very nice figurine! :P Looks pretty awsome, but I still dont see the point in collecting them :?

I havent gotten around to watching Kara no Kyoukai :-/

Ill see if I have some time today and then try at least watch the first movie :D Need to study for an accounting test im writing tomorrow :(
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I won't buy it either, 1/8 scale's too small, but I still like it though. Somethign like this and this on the other hand, another story. First stands 50cm tall but sadly I can't exactly afford to start collecting these, atm I'm dumping all my spare cash on bandwidth.

Nuke I know will love this. Awaiting his comments... Even if nothing current as much as touch KnK do note it's basically a drama so youngsters new to TYPE-MOON won't appreciate it as much. Understand that Shiki is not a Ninja, she can cry, bleed and die. Something I truly like about this show. It manages to keep all these abnormal characters as normal as can be.

I watched chapter 3 like 3 times already. First thing I noted watching Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori the weekend was Mamiko Noto voicing Ai. She's said to do more comedic roles but guys are saying she should concentrate more on tragic toons instead. She really knows how to set the mood and in fact I now forgive her for **** up Yuka in Elfen Lied. She fit Fujino perfectly.

Apart from that studios should look at chapters 3's opening. That's how you open a show fools! 2 minutes into the show and your filled with anger, angst and anticipation by mostly music alone. The athmosphere was perfect. KnK's soundtrack's brilliant, especially leading up to each chapters fight scene. Same with chapter 1 when Shiki leaprt from a building. It fits the visuals perfectly.

Last night I watched Blade of the Immortal and Ultraviolet and you know, coming from quality like this, it was a pain. Even though I said chapter 3 was remarkable for me that's just my preference. Chapter 5 reveals the true Shiki and chapter 5's going to blow us away. We'll be seeing a lot of Azaka in chapter 6. Looking forward to that too.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Damn, I went to pick up some anime from someone, and I didn't happen to come across this.
Have to try to arrange this for the next meet.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Awesome. One of the series I will buy the moment it comes out on DVD. Its sets the same atmosphere as the Tsukihime game. Even better than I hoped.
Ill see if I have some time today and then try at least watch the first movie Need to study for an accounting test im writing tomorrow
F school. Anything TYPE-Moon takes priority. Its more stimulating for the brain anything the fools at school can think up. Even the prescribed books fot school have less in them than a bottomless bucket. Discussing Eva/Elfen Lied/Chrno Crusade/KnK would be 10x better at teaching language/conversation/comprehension skills(sorry for OT but I have an insane strong dislike anything school related)

Btw reading up on KnK I found a new project called Mahōtsukai no Yoru. But can't find alot of info on it atm.
http://www.typemoon.com/product/witch/witch.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahōtsukai_no_Yoru
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Well I wouldn't say linguistic per se.
Though many anime have deeper meanings in them. Take Chrono Crusade for example. Most people who watch it, don't even realise it that the same theory propounded in Dan Brown's, 'Da Vinci Code' is blaringly present in more provocative detail in CC which, apparently, preceded DVC.

Even shows like Eva or little known series like Noeien and it's take on fate. Not the usual 'I'll choose my own destiny!' crap. It's deep, involving and highly satisfying to ponder on.

I'm watching Kono Mikuku mo Utskushii Sekai at the moment and what may initially pass as a kiddy series is quickly dispelled after a few episodes. Well, not just by the revelation of a fair amount cleavage but also to themes which stir the mind.

Then again, some of us, perhaps, see too much into anime. See into aspects probably not intended by the producer/s. Nevertheless, the concern for such a thing is miniscule as the aim is considered and the means, well, it's varied I suppose.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Haha, Nuke your just a TYPE-MOON fanboy 'coz you got to bone Rin and Saber. :twisted: /jk

KnK is deep. At first watch, most okes will not understand everything. This is the anime that will put TYPE-MOON in the spotlight they deserve. Flying, floating, falling, 8 suicides but 9 nine ghosts, suicide, life, pain, death... Damn even watching Shiki eat ice cream has meaning to it and once understood your fascinated by merely watching something simplistic as this. I love stuff like this. And I love the way it's explained - Tohko does not give direct answers, instead she leads you thereto.

Seriously cannot wait for the rest.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Even if our theories are not always correct it teaches you to think. That is what is importent.

Lies. Its Hisui and Kohaku. :twisted: Seriously though, you can't help not being a fanboy after you played the games.(Though I still have 2 routes in Tsukihime and 1 of Fate to finnish) The Nasuverse is far more complex that Middel Earth everyone is raving about.

Ironic how TYPE-Moon's premice for Tsukihime became thier best work on the anime front.

Shiki's pouting on the bed in ep1 looked just so cute and funny.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah, that was cute. But her smile in chapter 3 was the best for me. Like he said...

You watched all 3 already or still busy?
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Done with 3. Will rewatch them again.

Asagami can most likely become one of the most powerfull characters that can't use True Magic. If you think of what she did while being hurt on the bridge, even without any training.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

KnK on a lighter note.
larch

Post by larch »

Busy downloading it now will throw my review here and see if Rayne approves I avoided reading all the pages here except this one as not to ruin it for myself
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

WARNING: May container spoilers for the first movie/episode below!!!

Hmm, well, I just finished watching the first KnK movie...
I dont think I udnerstood everything, well, I know I didnt udnerstand everything...

Not too sure how much of what I just watched im ment to understand right not at this moment... :?

I rather enjoyed it, the fighting scene was really awsome!! REALLY REALLY GOOD!!! :D

Im definatly left with questions, like, who the "he" which shiki and that other girl talked about...

Then what a lilly and a bone is as well as the difference between the two of them.

Then, the flying and floating... :?
It seems like peoples souls can exist outside of their body or something like that from what I can gather? Then depending on wheather they are flying or floating their view from above will be different or something like that?

Also, is the girl who seemed to have taken over Shiki's arms at the begining the same one at the end who Shiki killed last, then after she "killed" her mensioed that she was a bone and not a lilly?
Then that girl the same one who we saw in hospital who was blind? As well as paralysed and needed a wheelchair?
Then that girl was the last living relative of the person who founded/created that building and she killed herself at the end and the people said it was most likely due to her being miserable from being sick for 10 years or so?

EDIT: Shiki's blue eyes = Image :P hehe

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

The 3 basics for understanding Kara no Kyoukai :

1) Listen to Tohko.
2) Listen to Tohko.
3) Listen to Tohko.

I'm not sure which "he" your referring to though. Shiki spoke to only three people in this movie, Mikiya, Tohko and Kirie. Which conversation's the one? With Kirie on the rooftop? If so Mikiya. The butterfly chasing the dragonfly in the opening is the dream Mikiya told Shiki about in the ending.

Nah she did not kill herself because of that. She killed herself for what she did. She never intended to kill any of the girls. Because she was lonely all she wanted to do was make them aware of her existence and thus she called to them but when these dreamers thought they could consciously follow her their physical bodies fell. Listen to her chat with Tohko and note the advise given to her. Everything is explained nicely. Kirie could not "fly", she could only "float".

- Flying : To escape with purpose.
- Floating : To escape without purpose.

And yes, that's the same girl. She's also from the Demon Hunter Organization and her bloodline's unique ability is to gain insight through blindless. A greater power / second container was given to her by a certain someone to be revealed in chapter 5.

Read this to help you with the rest. I'm running out of playtime and I'm without a rig for a week or two so I'll be keping my chatting short.
Rayne

Re: Kara no Kyoukai

Post by Rayne »

Come larch where's that review?! Put down that Wii and watch some KnK!
Chapter 5 is arguably the most exciting chapter of the novel, and the movie surely lived up to its expectations!

Like how it was mentioned previously, this was a good long 2 hour movie. A major villain of the series is actually featured here, and it was packed with impressive action and drama. The camera works of the action scenes were the best in the series yet.

At the same time, it talks about one of deepest concepts at the center of the series. What the main villain is try to accomplish is so vague and difficult to comprehend if you don’t pay attention. Well, even if you don’t understand the logic, it’ll surely make you feel like, oh my god this is so deep and complicated.
The artist for this pic's of Black Lagoon -

White kimono and black boots? Only Shiki would...
Spoiler (show)
http://www.akiba-ch.com/?p=633
Chapter 5's going to be good! An it's still 5 months away... :cry:
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:Come larch where's that review?! Put down that Wii and watch some KnK!
Chapter 5 is arguably the most exciting chapter of the novel, and the movie surely lived up to its expectations!

Like how it was mentioned previously, this was a good long 2 hour movie. A major villain of the series is actually featured here, and it was packed with impressive action and drama. The camera works of the action scenes were the best in the series yet.

At the same time, it talks about one of deepest concepts at the center of the series. What the main villain is try to accomplish is so vague and difficult to comprehend if you don’t pay attention. Well, even if you don’t understand the logic, it’ll surely make you feel like, oh my god this is so deep and complicated.
The artist for this pic's of Black Lagoon -

White kimono and black boots? Only Shiki would...
Spoiler (show)
http://www.akiba-ch.com/?p=633
Chapter 5's going to be good! An it's still 5 months away... :cry:
Has Chapter 4 already been released on DVD? o_O :shock: :?

I plan on watching the first chapter/movie again and then ill move onto the 2nd...
I just dont want to have to wait for the next chapter/movie to be released :cry:

PS. Seems like you are going to become active again? :D xD
NICE!!! :thumbleft:

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Maybe, maybe not, will see if there's anything worth posting about.

Chapter 4 hits DVD November and chapter 5 February 2009. That oke saw it in cinema. His not native American so excuse the English, but his site's worth a look at every now and again.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Ahh, awsome!!! :D

Cant wait for them to be released on DVD!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 5's ED, Sprinter :

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-aLazwF1go&re ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-aLazwF1go&re ... fcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Translation :

By meeting you
I saw a dream that won't come true
that's eternity passed by only a second

I’m calling you
wanting to protect you
I embraced you with the fingers I extended still shaking

The things we can do is to only, to continue crying out
that we're alive being unable to do anything until I lose strength, just that so
will it reach you? will I reach?
start running immediately by destroying the temptations of despair
to beyond the spiral(world)

I'm calling with my song that's distant and struggling
if I can turn your cheeks toward the sky
I'm not alone......

Even in this mechanic heart, the naked reality(truth)
was stuffed enough to overflow

Waving to the yesterday that disappears at the speed of light
to wherever on the bright desert
we kick up time and run, now

By facing the wind and waving a torn flag
on this path without you, for the sake of myself I
move on......
beyond the spiral(world)......

I want to see you
I miss you
I want to see you
I hold you dear

I'm calling the sign that I was here
is surely still in your gaze

I'm calling by going against the closing spiral
us, who are crying and yelling are

Living, existing
existing, right here...

Remaining Sense of Pain review I just noted on AniDB :
A supernatural horror-romance, unique in that you feel for the human monsters in the way that the original Frankenstein does: very human, very twisted, very sympathetic. And there are two monsters in this show: Shiki Ryogi, the asocial supernaturally twisted gal from eps 1 & 2, and the new girl, Fujino Asagami, who is afflicted with anhidrosis (insensitivity to pain, a condition more common in Japan than America), either from psychogenic origins or possibly inherited, and both have supernatural abilities (one with shinigami eyes, the other with something like you find in Elfen Lied). They must fight, one to destroy humanity without feeling, the other to protect it without feeling. Standing between them is Mikiya Kokutō, a boy with feeling enough for both, a gentle and understanding youth with a backstory on both characters, and he's trying to protect them both. Imagine the conflicts! This is one of the most watched and sold DVDs in current Japanese anime, and for good reason: so far, it's arguably the best of the series, and is second in DVD sales nationwide in Japan and top-10 rating in anidb. It is riveting, well worth the watch. Just make sure you hide the kids, because graphic violence, rape, torture, and nudity are the fare here.
Spoiler (show)
Plot Summary: A string of murders is being investigated by Tōko Aosaki's investigation agency and her employees Shiki and Kokutō. The connection among these gruesome murders is that they all are members of a gang that tortured and gang raped Fujino Asagami, a local high school student. There are baffling elements to their murders, including the fact that their bodies are horribly mangled. Shiki Ryogi's goes to confront the murderer with her ability to see death and kill anything.

Animation: One word: Outstanding. The animation by ufotable and Type-Moon is better than many recent movies and is absolutely tops. The gee-whiz for me is in every episode; in this episode it came in the night scene in the bamboo forest, the way the moon played on the heavy night air and the movement of the bamboo. It is art. Of course, the backgrounds are exquisite, and the in-betweens are great. Hair flows naturally, mists move normally, rain falls with soft backlit grace, everything fits. The only knock is a lackluster ending animation, so that is a solid 10 for me. This is almost as good as animation gets, with the work by Shinkai-san in Byousokou 5CM my current standard for a 10. The relatively new director Mitsuru Obunai shows extraordinary ability and we should be hearing great things abut him in the future, but I suspect the art direction by Kazuro Ogura (Agent Aika) also had a lot to do with the exceptional look and feel. Fantastic!

Sound: Top marks here also. The technicals are superb. Soundstage is wide, full and directional. Foley and sfx are excellent in the series; when snow falls, the sound absorbtion is immersive, and when cars race, you hear the tires move, not squeel. Excellent feeling of immersion from the technicals, a 10.
Seyuu are at the top of their game. The cast is professional, well experienced, and give excellent performances. In particular, Mamiko Noto as Fujino Asagami gives a touching and noteworthy protrayal of a monster who can't empathize because she can't feel pain.

Op and Ed are good but not as great as the rest of the show. Kalafina does all the ending songs, but each show has a different one; this one is "Kizuato" and is good but not soul-stirring. It's a small quibble. The rest of the background music is great, as usual from Yuki Kazura (.hack/Sign, Hokuto no Ken movies, Noir). I'd rate the whole sound side a solid 9.

Story: As you can see, this is a Frankenstein supernatural romance. The plot is recapped above. The story works on several narrative levels, and it's both deep and meaningful, and I was thinking about it for sometime afterward. I only needed more information about how Fujino Asagami came to be as she is, why Shiki hates her more than anyone else, and how everyone develops their supernatural ability, but the mysterious is never explained. 8 points for a great story with a few missing explanations.

Character: the character design is subtly different from the first two, showing a maturing of the characters over time (and a change of designer). The character development is fascinating, in the way that Frankenstein's monster is fascinating; human, but flawed, and overcoming the flaws thru love is the theme. I found the characters to be sympathetic if not entirely lovable. 9 points.

Value and Enjoyment: Wow, I'm collecting the DVDs, they are that good, but I think you will find it's well worth the time and energy to watch. 9 and 9 on my scale.

Conclusion: Hide the kids and watch this thriller. Two monsters, no waiting. It's a keeper.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... attid=6367
Note :
Spoiler (show)
All questions are answered in chapter 5. There is nothing left incomplete.
Just doing some catching-up. Will see what else there is of interest.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

The wait sux. Thats why I didn't want to start :lol:

O well, in another part of the Natsuverse, Heavens Feel translation is almost done its seems.