A thread not for the easily offended

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

It's not really a religious discussion, altho it's kinda been dragged into that area because the subject matter has it's roots in religion.

Most of the posts here are from people who believe in similar aspects - even Hyperchild who is christian has agreed on some of the points that have been made.

I find it interesting to read other peoples views.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

If I somehow stated that someone's beliefs are incorrect please point it out cuz I do not remember it. I merely stated what I think of their beliefs and what I see is wrong with it. (Seing that I have tried almost everything from Budism to Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, Druidism)

Has anyone noticed that there are mainly three groups of religeous sects?
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
jee

Post by jee »

It is sometimes difficult for people who are logical, scientific or just blinkered to listen to other ideas that touch on the mysterious, on the unexplained.

This thread is not a "the sky is blue" not it is green thread, rather the blue sky has touches of green and yellow and purple.......

And yes, those who believe in Christianity are violently opposed to anything that could have touches of "evil". And it is good to have those views as well.

So I will agree with Rau, if this thread is threatening to you, please do not read, or answer. Is that too much to ask?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I'm not sure I've really noticed - I've never really been that drawn toward any kind of religion. Perhaps it will happen to me later in my life as it did with my Dad.

I have sketchy knowledge that should be improved.
For instance, I know that the Muslim religion shares many aspects of Zionism in terms of history and prophets, which makes sence as it started in the same region of the world.

I also know that religious intolerence has caused some of the worst conflicts - although often there's alterior motives behind that and religion is used as a ruse.

My feeling on things is one simple rule :-

Try not to hurt anyone around you by your actions
jee

Post by jee »

An ye harm none, do as ye will.
And ever mind the rule of Three:
What ye send out, comes back to thee
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Look people I was trying to be compassionate and was trying to take everyone's feelings into consideration but if you think I was wrong, then so be it. Argue all you want, I don't care anymore.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

As I have said OnlyOneKenobi we value your input and respect your views. Thanks to you we will be more aware of the potencial of a flame fest. So no hard feelings.

Anways anyone know the three sects of the religious triangle?
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Nope 8)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

• 1) Christian based - One almighty entity that knows and controlls all
    2) Eastern - The worship of a physical entity such as a Buddah
    3) Etherial - Two entities one God (the father of all) a Godess (that gives life and flows through everything and binds us together )
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
HarryPutter

Post by HarryPutter »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
    3) Etherial - Two entities one God (the father of all) a Godess (that gives life and flows through everything and binds us together )
Ok, RuadRauFlessa for me you have just crossed the line and I must agree with OnlyOne. If you want to discuss this furhter with your group of followers, use the phone.

I see Einsten was frequently quoted in this thread, and I think the following quote is most appropriate for the ppl on this discussion

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.
Albert Einstein

:wink: :wink: :wink:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Why would you say that that is going over the edge. Everything in life is clasified so why not that. I mean even human behavior is classified. Cowdung is classified. Food is classified. So what is wrong with catogorizing diffirent religious beliefs as to what the belief is based upon?
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

HarryPutter wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:
Ok, RuadRauFlessa for me you have just crossed the line and I must agree with OnlyOne. If you want to discuss this furhter with your group of followers, use the phone.

I see Einsten was frequently quoted in this thread, and I think the following quote is most appropriate for the ppl on this discussion

Albert Einstein

That's if you believe in god. :roll:
if you recall, quite a number of us here don't.
jee

Post by jee »

That's if you believe in god.
if you recall, quite a number of us here don't.
Oi! That is what OnlyOneKenobi spoke about - to have respect for the beliefs and ideas of others. If they don't agree, just ignore! Otherwise this thread will die in ashes.

Just remember, that to each person what s/he believes in, is sacred. Whether you think it is right or wrong.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

I agree with you Jee, I was merely following suit in an attemt at self-defense. Thank you for reminding me.

the thing is that I usually read the Internet Infidels Forum, and there, between thousands of fellow atheists we don't figth as much about religion, but when some new theist comes along and challenges the atheists, he/she gets a sound thrashing.

SOZ :oops:
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I've got christian friends I go hiking with.

What's the big deal ?

We discuss faith and ideas and nobody really has an issue with it.

I thought Challenges were what made us human ?

Debate is healthy no matter what and at the end of the day, we all hurt in the same damn way !

it's a long and interesting path we follow in life !
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Hey interesting this thread has turned towards a debate about debates. What a twist.

Hmmm let us see a debate.....

I do not think that anyone here should be offended by anything other than themselves. Their ignorance towards their own feelings. If you do not prophetize your own beliefs then are you not a dead fish in the water? If you thus have a belief and do not prophetize it then you do not beleve. Then you would fall to being an non-existent excuse that hides his life away in shame for he does not believe in what he sais he does. You may kill me for this but it is true. I was there once and look at me now I don't care what you say about what I believe or do or say. You know why. I believe it so blatantly that I will present it to the world and let them be the ones to shun what I believe I do therefor not shun myself in believing or saying anything cuz I believe what I say is correct.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

HarryPutter wrote:

Albert Einstein

I wasn't aware there was a line to cross, except perhaps one you've made up.

It's funny, the people who are participating in this thread in an amicable manner are under attack by people who don't like what they are saying and seem to want the thread to go up in flames.

I'm confused by this attitude ?

I don't see how you can come in here and start telling people "you've crossed the line"

Who are you to judge others ?
Who are you to make wide sweeping statements "your group of followers ?"

I think you've lost the plot. You've made one comment in this thread, the one above, which in no contributes to anything. You just want to stand on your little soap box and shout a bit because you obviously don't have anything else to add.

I suppose, once again, we have someone who hasn't read the thread properly and merely reads what the think they see.

People like you make me really really angry - you swan in here and start telling people what they can and cannot do.

If people are not adult enough to let others express thier opinions and debate, then they should keep out of it. Nobody forced you to read anything here, so back off !
Last edited by bb_matt on 30 Jan 2004, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
jbayman

Post by jbayman »

I'm not here to tell everyone my religious beliefs.
I'm not here to tell you that person "x" has the wrong beliefs.
I'm not here to .............$hit, why am I here again?
Oh yes

I'm here to make a statement. Something I found to be true.

The one thing you don't argue about, is religion, whether you're own, or someone else's.

You cannot say that you're here to state your religious beliefs and what's wrong with someone else's, cause that's allready looking for trouble.
No one wants to hear that their beliefs is wrong.

Everybody is different, if we were all the same, we'd all be watching Star Wars movies (hehe, just thought I had to bring that in)

So, peace to all, and let's not discuss other people's religions.
Otherwise I shall come down upon thee withgreat vengeance and furious anger..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I discuss what the hell I want to discuss, regardless of what you have to say about it !

I don't go telling you what you can and can't say, so don't tell me !

I haven't said ANYTHING bad about other religions, I've merely expressed my opinion and remained balanced about things.

And who said we were arguing about religion - it's you who came here and made that wild assumption while we were all getting along fine with our discussion.

Like I said, it seems that it's not the people that are participating amicably that want to make this into a "flame fest", it's the people who seem to not want others to have thier own opinions !

:roll:
simmy

Post by simmy »

What are you/we discussing here? Im not sure! :oops:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Coming to that phrase from Pulp Fiction: It is actually a mix between Ezikiel 25:17 and another Psalm I dont' remember what now.

The whole point is that everyone is diffirent. If we werent we all would have believed in Buddah or the Vatecan. But we don't so why then hide who and what we are just so that other ppl can stay ignorant towards themselves and life. I heartely do not think that my point of view on religious matters should attatch itself to someone else cuz what I believe comes from years and years of experience and trust towards curtain things. For instance I have found that I can go and walk in our garden and that does more for my piece of mind than going down on my knees. But someone that is not as nature aware and cannot feel what the plants and feel or cannot heer the echo in a cool breeze wont get that from it.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Like the subject of the topic says "not for the easily offended".

HarryPutter and jbayman, I understand you might have good intentions about warning us against crossing lines and not discussing religion, but the discussion was started exactly for that purpose and there is a warning.

The main contributors in this topic have got their own opinions and are not discarding others' opinions. Because in our lives we have obviously learnt to accept that other people have their own beliefs and opinions.

So, in conclusion, yes we are on a very sensitive subject here, but from what I've seen we are keeping the peace quite well.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

A grilfriend of mine once said that if you want to convert me you firstly have to know what to convert me from.

Alot of ppl will have problems with that statement cuz it does not merely mean just to kave knowledge but to have experienced. So no one here is trying to conver anyone we are just merely going about the transfer of knowledge.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
jee

Post by jee »

I agree with Rua that knowledge of things is more important than blatantly disowing things you know nothing about. That is the basis of my profession - to supply information from all points of view, from all sides and allow the individual to make and informed decision on what they would like to believe.

It is good to know what people think because within their reasoning you can often find similarities or descrepencies to what you believe in.

Then one can ask, what is religion? What is belief? What are miracles?

And, if we. like jbayman said, not argue against each other, or attack each others beliefs, what is wrong in questioning? Why is it so difficult for people with blinkered opinions to accept that other people feel differently from them?
brabham

Post by brabham »

I like bb_matt and I agree with everything he has said in this thread. 8)

That'll be R150 to my usual post box matt. :wink:
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer