Is ADV films in trouble ?

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Is ADV films in trouble ?

Post by larch »

Back in August I reported on the demise of Geneon USA and there subsequent bankruptcy, this event shocked many Anime fans around the world as Geneon had been around since the beginning. (They were known as Pioneer back in those days.) They were praised and well known for their high quality VHS & DVD releases, there subsequent bankruptcy left many titles unfinished and left fans are wondering if they will be picked up by other companies.

Well it looks like something similar is happening to ADV films now. In early 2000 when Anime hit it’s peak ADV was licensing every title they could get there hands on. Some of these titles paid off and some of them did not, this method of licensing Anime got them into financial trouble and were forced reconsolidated there losses. But they managed to pull it out of the fire and saved them selfs from the same fate as Geneon. But now some interesting has been happening recently and you don’t need a degree in financial management to see what is happening.

Back in January 5th ADV canceled its 24/7 Anime Network TV channel operations, scaling it down to video on demand. (Pay as you watch basically or pay as you request however you look at it.) Exactly 5 days later on January 10th they announced that they will be ceasing production of its magazine Newtype USA, and replace it with there own god awful magazine called “PiQ Magazine”. Then 8 days later ADV would also announce that they will be shutting down its Anime ADVocate program. ( ADVocate was basically a program giving away free Anime material to Anime clubs around the states and Europe.) But it does not end here, on January the 22nd ADV stated that it it would be shutting down its U.K offices. And that all the European Anime releases would be distributed through their U.S offices.

But now it gets even a bit more disturbing on January the 28th, ADV dropped a number of high profile titles from its website titles like Gurren Lagann, 5 Centimeters per Second, Kanon, Pumpkin Scissors, Devil May Cry, and Welcome to the NHK just to name a few, only to magically re-appear a day or two later. It seems a little bizarre to me that they actually removed the items from their store. (Without comment.)

Shortly afterwards an ADV Films spokesperson made the following statement in regards to the Anime titles that were removed from the site:
We know there are a lot of rumors swirling about, and that fans are looking for assurances that ADV will continue to distribute the anime series they know and love.

While we can’t go into any detail at this time, please know that ADV is working through a few short-term challenges and fully intends to continue our releases.

We thank you for your patience.
“Short term challenges” aka we are in the ***** people. A complete list of dropped Anime titles can be found here. And like I said before you don’t need a degree in financial management to see what is happening at ADV they are re-consolidating there assets, trying to keep the ship floating.

It seems that ADV and there financial backer Sojitz had a fallout somewhere along the line. And now ADV does not have Sojitz’s financial backing anymore leaving ADV in financial trouble. And since Sojitz set up ARM to help ADV license there Anime titles, it only stand to reason that those titles are now up in the air as ARM decided to withhold all the shows it licensed for ADV since they are part of Sojitz, leaving ADV dead in the water so to speak.

ADV has been completely silent about these issue’s with the exception of the one statement they made above. No spokes person have appeared on any message boards or made any statements publicly. No sites have received screener DVDs for reviews, either. So this begs the question is ADV films in trouble.

But there is at least some good news. As ADV decided to drop the license for Gurren Lagaan, Bandai quikly jumped in and brought the rights to Gurren Lagaan. Let us hope the same happens with the other shows that ADV decided to drop.

http://larcho.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/ ... n-trouble/
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Bandai got Gurren-Lagann now.

Anyways, it's because they were trying to be greedy as **** licensing everything left right and center without proper veiwer responses first. Hell they licensed some shows before it was broadcasted in Japan for crying out loud. Push enough stuff out the door nobody is going to buy and of course your going to run into trouble.

I vote all production studios follow GONZO's example by cutting out the US distributors in general and give their anime away for free.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

AnimeNewsNetwork

Funimation Picks Up Over 30 Former AD Vision Titles

The North American anime distributor FUNimation Entertainment and Japan's ARM Corporation have announced that ARM has transfered the rights to more than 30 of its titles — all previously held by A.D. Vision — to Funimation. Those rights include the home video, broadcast, digital, and merchandising rights in North America and other regions. The complete list of transferred titles is as follows:

009-1
Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy
Air Gear
Air movie
Air TV
Blade of the Phantom Master
Comic Party: Revolution
Coyote Ragtime Show
Devil May Cry
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor TV
Jing, King of Bandits: Seventh Heaven
Jinki:Extend
Kanon
Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora (once titled as Shattered Angels by ADV Films)
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Magikano
Moeyo Ken TV
Moonlight Mile
Murder Princess
Nerima Daikon Brothers
Pani Poni Dash!
Project Blue Earth SOS
Pumpkin Scissors
Red Garden
Sgt. Keroro 1st & 2nd
Tokyo Majin
UFO Princess Valkyrie
Utawarerumono
Venus Versus Virus
The Wallflower
Welcome to the NHK
Xenosaga

These are most of the titles that had been removed from ADV Films' catalog in January. A majority of them were relisted in ADV Films' catalog in February, only to be gradually removed for a second time. ADV Films also once planned to release Gurren Lagann, but Bandai Entertainment announced in May that it had acquired the series. 5 Centimeters Per Second is not on Funimation's list of transfered titles, but copies of ADV Films' release remain available at retailers.

The joint Funimation/ARM announcement comes the day after Funimation announced it will also manufacture and distribute select titles that Geneon Entertainment (USA) had planned to release before it ceased in-house DVD distribution. Funimation indicated that the new titles from ARM will be significant to its efforts in "social networking, the FUNimation Channel, and Internet VOD."
FUNimation is really on a roll here but I am concerned that maybe FUNimation is overextending itself.
Well anyway this day keeps getting better and better. I wonder what will happen next.
Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.