Warner Brothers to Produce Live Action Akira

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Warner Brothers to Produce Live Action Akira

Post by larch »

The Hollywood Reporter and Variety entertainment reported that Warner Brothers and Appian Way. (The production company of actor Leonardo DiCaprio who produced movies like: Titanic and The Aviator.) Will adapt Katsuhiro Otomo’s Akira manga into two live action films. The first of which is being slated for release in summer of 2009. Legendary will help finance the production with Warner Brother Studio’s. Each film will cover three volumes of the Akira Manga.

Ruairi Robinson will be making his directorial debut with Akira, while Gary Whitta is writing a script for the movie. Warner Brothers originally had the rights to the Akira movie, but they had to re acquire them from Kodansha after the bidding from the movie rights reached the 7 digit numbers. My math ain’t that great but isn’t 6 number already in the millions. Andrew Lazar, DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson will produce. No announcement has been made regarding the cast for the Akira movie.

I don’t really know Ruairi Robinson since this is his first ever movie he will be directing, but this could be a bit of a risk to use him to direct since it will be his very first movie as a director, but with the right budget, cast and material to work with the potential for a great movie could be there.

There is also a lot of strong indicating that DiCaprio will also star in the lead role as Kaneda. I know a lot of people still see DiCaprio as nothing more than a pretty boy actor, but you have to give it to the man he does know how to act. There is also rumors that that Joseph Gordon Levitt from brick, The Lookout fame will play the role of Tetsuo in the Akira movie.

This will be an interesting experiment but I hope doing live action Anime shows doesn’t become too big in Hollywood. I guess it will all depend on how well the Dragon Ball movie does, although my hopes for that isn’t very high.

http://larcho.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/ ... ion-akira/
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Please don't **** this one up Warner. For the love...
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

What's with all the anime adaptations lately? Is this the new thing in Hollywood now or what? I think just this year alone sports more work in progress adaptations than the prior twenty.

Books, comics, remakes and now Eastern animation, ****, think of something new already.
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Rayne wrote:What's with all the anime adaptations lately?
Yeah. Wtf? I think that they are running out of movie ideas.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64