Want this sooooo badly: Caterham Seven Superlight R500.

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Frozenfireside

Want this sooooo badly: Caterham Seven Superlight R500.

Post by Frozenfireside »

Those familiar with the R500 moniker will recall blistering track performance and superb handling enough to rival thoroughbred sportscars. Well, it seems Caterham is at it again with the new Seven Superlight R500.

The Dartford-based manufacturer has previously produced Sevens very capable of unseating the best-of-the-best on racing circuits but claim that the R500 is “the most potent race-tuned production Seven yet”. Those looking for a more cost-effective alternative to the suicidal Caterham RS will also be happy to hear that the R500 packs a high power-to-weight ratio of 385 W/ kg.

Underneath the long, lightened bonnet sits a highly tuned 2,0-litre Ford Duratec engine that produces in excess of 190 kW and 240 N.m of torque. Power is fed to the rear wheels via the standard six-speed gearbox or the optional Caterham Motorsport sequential-shift transmission. Caterham claims that the R500 (priced from R580 000) is capable of sprinting from zero to 100 km/h in 2,8 seconds (we’re talking hypercar territory here) and goes on to a top speed of 240 km/h.

In line with the original Colin Chapman philosophy, the engineers haven’t just focused on upping the ante of the 2,0-litre Duratec to increase performance, but have also shaved 9kg off the dry weight of the chassis used by the R400. Using more carbon, Kevlar and thinner body panels (even going so far as to employ aluminium taillight housings), the R500 now weighs 506 kg (think two-and-a-bit BMW M3 engines).

Various exterior enhancements were carried over from the flagship CSR models – like the carbon winglets that increase downforce, special grille that enhances aerodynamic efficiency and cooling air flow and a leather boot cover.

In order to increase the competitiveness of the R500 (not that Sevens were ever lacking in that department), Caterham engineers have included race-developed Avon CR500 tyres, four-piston calipers on the vented fronts discs and a fully adjustable suspension set-up as standard. The optional extras, guaranteed to cut a smidgen off your lap time, include launch control, sequential gearbox, carbon induction, and a race-derived Eibach suspension system.

As is the case with most competition-focused cars, the R500 has a very minimalist interior, with a decidedly racy theme made evident by the quick-release Momo steering wheel with integrated indicator switches, carbon Kevlar bucket seats with four-point harnesses, new electronic dashboard with keyless ignition, ACES shift-indicating lights, a detail-engraved plaque on the carbon dash and new digital display with scrolling text.
http://www.cartoday.com/content/news/si ... sp?in=9077

and topgears view:http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2765/

Speed of light

Prepare to be afraid. We've got all the details on the awesome Caterham R500, that we showed you a little bit of last week, and a bunch more pictures showing the lightweight face-reshaper in all its pearly-white glory.

The R500 gets a 263bhp two-litre Duratec four-pot that'll rev to a migrane-inducing 8,500rpm. That power will be put to the road through a six-speed manual or six-speed sequential box - and we know which one we'd take.

You want more techie specs? The R500 gets 13-inch anthracite wheels, 'aerodynamically-shaped front wishbones' (we're pretty sure they're good), fully-adjustable dampers, a dash straight out of a 1960s sci-fi film and Ferrari 599-style launch control as standard. Quite what it'll launch you into remains unclear.

To shave nine kilograms from the Seven's chassis, the Caterham engineers went wild with the Kevlar 'n' carbon fibre - there's even a carbon leather boot cover - and also developed bespoke thinner body panels and even aluminium rear light housings.

All that added lightness means 520bhp per tonne - and a staggering 0-60 time of 2.88 seconds. Yep, we thought we'd save that stat until the end. Two point eight eight. Enough said.

Well, nearly. Just one more stat for you: £36,995, which is what you'll pay for the R500. That might sound a lot, but put another way it's a mere £74 per kilo.

When you consider albino caviar costs £22,000 per kilo - and how much fun can you have with albino caviar and an open road? - that R500 looks like a veritable bargain.
The price is a bit of a sore point: £36,995 * 15.40 ex import tax = R569 723 8O
Some pictures
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

are you serious??? it cant be that cheap no ways!
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
StoneIce

Post by StoneIce »

po10cy wrote:are you serious??? it cant be that cheap no ways!
em it not really cheap R569 723
Samsung T260 26' LCD . Intel i7 920 D0 . Asus P6T Deluxe Palm OC . Dominator & OCZ 6GB DDR 3 1600Mhz . ATI/AMD HD5850 . Razer Mamba . Logitech G11
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Yaksemash!

The CSR is fun in GTR2, this should be aweseome in RL.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

HAHAHHA i thought its R569 hahahahahah
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

po10cy wrote:HAHAHHA i thought its R569 hahahahahah
LOL you wont even be able to buy the tire for R500
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

po10cy wrote:HAHAHHA i thought its R569 hahahahahah
ROFL! I wish!

This would be a laugh to pitch up at robots and blow a Porche/Lambo/Ferrari out the water with. Imagine the look on the guys face!
I would freeking laugh all the way to the next robot.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

And then the Ferrari guy will laugh at you when heaven opens it's gates. The Caterham is nothing more than a track day car to be honest. I wouldn't buy one to live with..
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

for tha money I would rather have a new Lumina SS. 4 doors, roof, spacious, huge V8, BOOT, and it drifts like a dream...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

GreyWolf wrote:for tha money I would rather have a new Lumina SS. 4 doors, roof, spacious, huge V8, BOOT, and it drifts like a dream...
Uses fuel like it's going out of style...

But it is more practical than the 7.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
style121

Post by style121 »

Nah, theres a far better car on the market, light years ahead in the looks department too if you ask me. Its called the Aerial Atom. Jeremy Clarkson took this thing out for a spin and says its more fun to drive than anything else he could think of. At top speed it looked like his skin was going to fly off his face.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Fe ... eId=105504

Oh, and its cheaper too
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

And you're still gonna get wet. Yes, I would love an Atom/Caterham but as a Track Day car, nothing else.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

style121 wrote:Nah, theres a far better car on the market, light years ahead in the looks department too if you ask me. Its called the Aerial Atom. Jeremy Clarkson took this thing out for a spin and says its more fun to drive than anything else he could think of. At top speed it looked like his skin was going to fly off his face.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Fe ... eId=105504

Oh, and its cheaper too
And both of those are blown into the weeds (to quote Clarkson) by the Radical SR8
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Like Wik1d said, they're track day cars and nothing else. Great if you can afford a second car as you day-to-day transport.

My uncle has a Caterham Super 7 which he uses for track days. Took me to the shops in it once. Fun for about 5 min until your spine collapses, there is almost no suspension travel, but man that thing accelerates hard 8O

The more serious people wish for things like an Aprilia SXV 450, eh Wik1d ?
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

viceroy wrote:And both of those are blown into the weeds (to quote Clarkson) by the Radical SR8
I suppose, but that thing is even less practical than the caterham. plus Plato from 5th Gear was badly burned by one of those. No thanks, I will stick to my power-sliding, ozone-depleting Lumina.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I like the look of the lumina-it's got that style that American cars lack at the moment and it looks really great in 'pick-up' form.

I understand that the Caterham would just be a 'fun' car to blow people away (no Ferrari can keep up to it in a 0-100 race) but you have to admit its got a reliable engine that should be fuel efficient at cruising since it weighs about the same as a small postbox.

I have always preferred the Euro style car to an American as, and I'm sure this will offend lots of people, Americans have no idea how to make a decent car.
While the Germans and Italians make cars that delight and excite the senses the Americans are making hideous looking cars with simple engines, awful interiors and worse handling.

The Auzzies seem to have taken the idea of a USA muscle car and run with it quite well.

My step mom has the Cev Z28 5.7l V8 and it sucks bawls.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Screeper wrote:The more serious people wish for things like an Aprilia SXV 450, eh Wik1d ?
Spot freaking on! (And a shade over 1/10th of the price)
GreyWolf wrote:I suppose, but that thing is even less practical than the caterham. plus Plato from 5th Gear was badly burned by one of those. No thanks, I will stick to my power-sliding, ozone-depleting Lumina.
No no, wasn't he burned by a Caparo T1?

But I like your statement regarding the Lumina, but I think I'd want a Monaro VXR over that though. Same engine is it not?
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Monaro VXR is nice. I love the wing at the back.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

GreyWolf wrote:
viceroy wrote:And both of those are blown into the weeds (to quote Clarkson) by the Radical SR8
I suppose, but that thing is even less practical than the caterham. plus Plato from 5th Gear was badly burned by one of those. No thanks, I will stick to my power-sliding, ozone-depleting Lumina.
On a track...no thanks...on the road...maybe, but there are so many better cars...

S5 > Lumina SS
mrT

Post by mrT »

ugly car...o yeah the chev lumina ss mmmmmm id give my left net for one of those bad boys
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

originally a Holden hey. Still it looks nice enough and imagine that with a turbo!?

If I had to buy a luxury car it would be this:
Like ZOMG it makes all BMWs seem old and ugly.