Thinking of a new car. choices choices!!!??

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Fort focus ST
if I won the lotto I would. In orange. It's not as 'raw' looking as the last one but some how it looks just as good but in a more evolved and refined type of way.
Consistently voted above other hatchbacks and it's just so nice, I mean look at it.
Civic is better looking though.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

clarkson reckons the new Type-R is rubbish...

I can't believe Honda decided to put in a solid rear axle! As far back as I can remember civics had independent rear suspension... seriously WTF?!?!

Focus is my pic if you don't take the Audi..
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

naughty wrote:
I'm personally waiting for a 135i.
put your name in the waiting list now - otherwise you will wait very long

or is your name already in the list ???
I'm severely injured at the moment from writing off my last BMW (tow truck skipped a red and hit me at 120km/h) so I need to wait 3-6 months before I can drive properly (especially such a powerful car). I've been driving around in a 323i and I've decided that it's probably in my (and other's) best interests until I'm fully healed. :P

I have a connection that can get me one in 3 months if I place an order today, they aren't really that difficult to find a short waiting list if you look around. Some places have 6-12 months waiting lists...
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Hellfury wrote:@Urban.that an SG in your avvie?
Gibson SG in Heritage Cherry... I'd marry it if that was legal ;)
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

GreyWolf wrote:clarkson reckons the new Type-R is rubbish...

I can't believe Honda decided to put in a solid rear axle! As far back as I can remember civics had independent rear suspension... seriously WTF?!?!

Focus is my pic if you don't take the Audi..
Wont bother with a Audi again. The Audi service centre will just screw the car up.

I am looking at 3 cars:

1st Honda Civic

2nd Ford Focus ST ( I am scared one day the turbo pops $$$)

3rd Subaru Imprezza WRX ( Scared the turbo pops $$$ maybe I will go for the 2.5 )
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Honda Civic is the one you should go for. Best trade in and reliability of the cars you are looking at. I am looking at the Sedan cause I need a boot for the pram and carry cot and other stuff that usually does the traveling with my baby girl.

Play a bit on this site. Not much too look at but it gives you an idea of what you can expect your trade-in value will be.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Samaya wrote:Honda Civic is the one you should go for. Best trade in and reliability of the cars you are looking at. I am looking at the Sedan cause I need a boot for the pram and carry cot and other stuff that usually does the traveling with my baby girl.

Play a bit on this site. Not much too look at but it gives you an idea of what you can expect your trade-in value will be.
Yeah for what you getting from the New Honda civic for that price is alot.

And ot goes pretty good for a 1.8... When the time comes , I will see if I can get the R type... I will be happy with either one..

Thanks for that link , I was looking for one yesterday!!
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Hey Dude!

Ok....so my wife has the new Civic sedan...the top of the range one. Cant remember what its called. She loves that car! :D Only little gripe I have is that its not as responsive up a hill in fifth @ about 130km/h. For example, travelling on the N1 North...that hill by Maraisburg offramp...if you in 5th in her car at about 130km/h....the car does not accelarate up the hill with your foot flat. It actually slows down a bit. I think its cos the car is still so new....the engine has not opened up yet. But otherwise her car is very nippy in traffic...great for cruising....overtaking speed is good. Like I said, the odd steap hill might need you to drop a gear, but I recon once she puts some mileage on the civic...things will change ;)

I looked into a Subaru. Decided not to go that route as it can be more costly to maintain. I was looking at a 2000 Impreza GT. That cars major service is R10 000. I now the WRX it a later model etc etc...but ja...parts and service is not cheap. Make sure you get a maintenace plan. Also, the WRX's & STI's need a MIN of 95 octane. Most Scooby owners recommend an octance booster. Also...fuel consumption aint great....450km on a tank MAX. I found all this out when looking to purchase a 2000 GT...then a 2005 WRX (sigh...wish the timing was right with that car :( ). Spoke to many guys on the Subaru owners club and previous Subaru owners. So ja...this info, straight from the horses mouth when i was looking into it.

On the ST....I love it! Stunning looking car....great performance. Resale value sucks...check autotrader...they dont hold value well at all.

Hope this helps ;)
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

where does this idea of turbo's poping come from? they will only pop if you drive like a moron.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

SilverBack wrote:...........
On the ST....I love it! Stunning looking car....great performance. Resale value sucks...check autotrader...they dont hold value well at all.

Hope this helps ;)
Thanks SilverBack.. Best response yet.

Yeah I heard that about the Subaru with the high octane fuel... Kinda put me off straight away.....

I read in a review that the Civic does have little power in the high gears 5th and 6... I think they more of a cuising gear. It does not bother me..

Here is the R type with a bad review : http://www.topgear.com/drives/B5/A1/roa ... 25/01.html

I work 2min from Maraizburg off ramp. When the time comes to test drive it. I will take it on the highway there!

I like the Ford ST alot...

But if the Turbo decides to blow ,I am going to have to dig deep into my pockets..... Most of the cars in Autotrader that have low km , only have a service plan to 60 000km???? And I dont have a clue how much Fords services normally cost??

@ GreyWolf

You never know when you buy a pre owned car if he drove it like a moron a few time...
My freinds mothers turbo pops on her Audi , and she drive like Miss Daisy!

Just something you need to think of in the long run..
Must me k@k to drive to KZN and the trubo goes...
Last edited by Acidkidsa on 11 Apr 2008, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

My vote would be any BMW or Audi. My Audi has never given me any problems and it's out of service plan. Will be buying a BMW 330i next though, miss my 3 series...

Out of what you had listed though definitely steer clear of the Focus ST. Nice car but terrible resale value and pricey when things break...

Honda Civic is a good bet. Very reliable, holds resale well and has top quality finishings.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

how come no one mentions anything around the Golf 5 :?
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

ryanrich wrote:My vote would be any BMW or Audi. My Audi has never given me any problems and it's out of service plan. Will be buying a BMW 330i next though, miss my 3 series...

Out of what you had listed though definitely steer clear of the Focus ST. Nice car but terrible resale value and pricey when things break...

Honda Civic is a good bet. Very reliable, holds resale well and has top quality finishings.
You must have a good Audi service centre..
My Audi still drives like a dream.. But everytime it goes for a service
things are not done , or forgetting to check the breaks... Replacing things that are not broken and can be fixed. Not getting back to you..bla bla bla...

@ PaperCut

New Gold 5 Gti I dont really like , and it is one of the most stolen cars in JHB so I hear ?
Last edited by Acidkidsa on 11 Apr 2008, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

PaperCut wrote:how come no one mentions anything around the Golf 5 :?
Maybe because it looks a little dated compared to many of its competitors.

I'd much rather take the A3 compared to the G5, even if it costs more
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Acidkidsa wrote:You must have a good Audi service centre..
things are not done , or forgetting to check the breaks... Replacing things that are not broken and can be fixed. Not getting back to you..bla bla bla...
Only ever serviced at Audi Centre Sandton, and only ever by the 2 service advisors that I know. Never had an issue...
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

ryanrich wrote:
Acidkidsa wrote:You must have a good Audi service centre..
Only ever serviced at Audi Centre Sandton, and only ever by the 2 service advisors that I know. Never had an issue...
My freinds sister worked there. I hear they they the best Audi Centre to go to.

I love the Dash!!
http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSe ... cId=109789
Last edited by Acidkidsa on 11 Apr 2008, 11:22, edited 2 times in total.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Ok kewl, sweet. If I had the dosh....I would go for the Civic Type R. I really like it. You do lose a few ponies up here though with it beig an NA car...but ja...everything else about it is awesome. Honda service prices etc are also good. Really cant fault Honda much IMO ;)

I see what you saying about 5th / 6th gear really more being an "overdrive" gear. ;)

Let us know what you decide to go for!

@PC - G5 GTI's - There are soooo many on the roads now....waaaay too common for my likings. But hey, each to their own I guees. Seems criminals have started taking a liking to them lately. Have seen a few posts about GTI's getting stolen on VW Club forum unfort :( Would hate that happen with my car!
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

Has anyone seen a GWM Hover? I'm going to the Car show this afternoon and there is one there apparently... but its looking good...

Mitsubishi 16V 2.4i Engine
Leather Interior (Genuine)
Sunroof
Independent Rear Suspension

they reckon its gonna be around 180-200... and its not an ugly car either!

PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

ya, you're right about the G5 GTI being common.

I see waaay too many of them on PTA streets.

My aunt has one. She's in Bloem, so there's a smaller chance of it getting taken. Drives like a fokin dream!! It's a 2.0 FSI DSG!

I was thinking of getting myself one too. :P

Love that car to bits though. Especially in a metallic red. with all the features **drool** eish!
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I would rather slice my eye open then choose a GWM car.
and IMO ugly.

Um what about the Focus diesel with the 2.5L engine? I'm sure that's going to be powerful enough for you and will be frugal with fuel.
Mind you it only comes in manual so that might not suit you (I prefer manual).
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

I for one would love a Focus with the Volvo 5cyl Diesel... BUT i for one, also know it doens't exist in SA? can you give a link??

136Kw 400NM... that thing would show a few petrol turbo hot hatches a thing or two....

Well atleast the mention of the GWM made the RAV4 look ok :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Mozz wrote:Has anyone seen a GWM Hover? I'm going to the Car show this afternoon and there is one there apparently... but its looking good...

Mitsubishi 16V 2.4i Engine
Leather Interior (Genuine)
Sunroof
Independent Rear Suspension

they reckon its gonna be around 180-200... and its not an ugly car either!

you kidding right? I know Chinese people that don't buy Chinese... why should anyone else? dodgy...
- H. L. Mancken
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

See post above LOL
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Frozenfireside wrote:I would rather slice my eye open then choose a GWM car.
and IMO ugly.

Um what about the Focus diesel with the 2.5L engine? I'm sure that's going to be powerful enough for you and will be frugal with fuel.
Mind you it only comes in manual so that might not suit you (I prefer manual).
Yeah I was looking at it.. I will look more into it.

I only drive manual... But I do love the DSG gearboxes as well...

As for those Chinese cars.. I rather buy a Tata (its that bad)
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Well, Just to let you know....my wifes Civic Sedan is on 4100km so far. I drove it back from her parents yesterday on the N1 North. Got to Maraisburg hill and was in 5th. I was surprised to notice she held 120km/h. As I mentioned previously...when going up that hill in 5th the car would slowy deccelerate up the hill. So now it seems as if the engine is starting to open up a little. Its holding the speed now...so I recon in a few thousand more km's, she will accelerate up the hill. Sweet :)