Thinking of a new car. choices choices!!!??

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

SilverBack wrote:Well, Just to let you know....my wifes Civic Sedan is on 4100km so far. I drove it back from her parents yesterday on the N1 North. Got to Maraisburg hill and was in 5th. I was surprised to notice she held 120km/h. As I mentioned previously...when going up that hill in 5th the car would slowy deccelerate up the hill. So now it seems as if the engine is starting to open up a little. Its holding the speed now...so I recon in a few thousand more km's, she will accelerate up the hill. Sweet :)
Aah!! Thats good to hear....

Do you mean the uphill part of the highway just past Maraisburg towards Gordan Road....???
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Yep, thats it ;)
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I for one would love a Focus with the Volvo 5cyl Diesel... BUT i for one, also know it doesn't exist in SA? can you give a link??
Look when my dad was in the market for a new car we looked at the Diesel ford focus but he didn't like it because it only came in manual.
There was one in the showroom however if they have stopped importing them since we looked at one 2 years ago, I wouldn't be surprised.

I want an old school mini in cream with black seats and a British flag on the roof.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Only one vehicle optional here really... ISUZU.
My dad's Isuzu is over 450 000 KM, and it is still going, without any problems.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

TheModDoctor wrote:Only one vehicle optional here really... ISUZU.
My dad's Isuzu is over 450 000 KM, and it is still going, without any problems.
I bet your dad secretly wants to be a truck driver :P
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Diesel cars are going to start taking a dip in sales i believe.
The price of diesel has sky-rocketed past petrol in the last 12 months.
You really need to push some big mileage to start seeing any savings when compared with their petrol counter-parts. Mind you, there is usually huge torque with the diesels which is always nice to have.

As Moz said earlier in the thread, the Focus is probably not such a good idea as it is due for a major upgrade soon.

Can't comment on the Civic, apart from the fact that Honda's tend to be bulletproof and hold their value well.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

WiK1d wrote:I bet your dad secretly wants to be a truck driver :P
LOL :lol: :lol: Actually he drives a merc these days... But he still loves his big Isuzu. :)
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

My bro just got the new Isuzu. Everytime he starts it , it sound like a tank..
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

No no-tanks have more advanced engines then an Isuzu...come to think about it so do tractors :-p
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Diesel cars are going to start taking a dip in sales i believe.
The price of diesel has sky-rocketed past petrol in the last 12 months.
You really need to push some big mileage to start seeing any savings when compared with their petrol counter-parts. Mind you, there is usually huge torque with the diesels which is always nice to have.
I also heard that our diesel is not up to standard and will cause major problems with high pressure turbos at high mileage negating any savings if your going to drive it past 150,000. Having said that, a Polo TDi can almost take on a 330i BMW on short sprints on the highveld due to heavy power losses on the normally aspirated engine from altitude. Diesel cars are quite desirable up here for these reasons. At the coast, cars that are normally beaten by the diesel engines are much faster.

I'm going petrol turbo next car I get.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Frozenfireside wrote:No no-tanks have more advanced engines then an Isuzu...come to think about it so do tractors :-p
Yeah you right , they do.....

How about a lawnmower in a tin shack...... Need something to rip my bro off about...
StoneIce

Post by StoneIce »

I like this 4X4 , but is pretty expensive.

Samsung T260 26' LCD . Intel i7 920 D0 . Asus P6T Deluxe Palm OC . Dominator & OCZ 6GB DDR 3 1600Mhz . ATI/AMD HD5850 . Razer Mamba . Logitech G11
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

StoneIce wrote:I like this 4X4 , but is pretty expensive.
If I had the money and time to wait for the licence..

I would get the Ford F250
mrT

Post by mrT »

ford focus st dis al wat ek se
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

I decided not to go for the Ford St...

Dont like it..

The Honda Civic type-R is first on my list.

I like naturally aspirated engine...

Looks like the Ford St are becoming as common as the GTI's
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Great choice there ;)
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

SilverBack wrote:Great choice there ;)
The more I looked at the Type-R the more I fell in love with it.

If I get it , it will be in black.. Dont like the red...

But when the day comes the prices should of dropped ...
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Man...Im jealous already. Looks stunning in black and red (I dont mind the red ;) ). Love the sound of it :twisted:
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

SilverBack wrote:Man...Im jealous already. Looks stunning in black and red (I dont mind the red ;) ). Love the sound of it :twisted:
Cant wait ... It will be while until I get it ..If I get it....

But when it happens I will post pics
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Hey Acidkidsa, your choices are exactly the same as mine. Also looking for a new car in that range.

I went to the car show and there's really only two cars to choose from for me, the Honda Civic Vxi 2008 Hatch (Cherry Red) or the Subaru Impreza 2.0R 2008 (Metallic Blue).

Just can't let go of my car I love so much though or get the money together. :)
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Keigo

Post by Keigo »

I like the sedan version type-r~
don't know why they only bring in the hatch version~

:(
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

OK so seems by the reading ive done over 5 pages that only thing thats been considered is looks, and fuel consumption and ive seen to many of them arround, It also depends on what u want from a car,

have u ever put thought in the Corsa OPC? full availibility june/july
Price R210 000 *IMO a tad to expensive*

specs/Review :
Digiads.com.au wrote:Opel Builds Most Powerful Corsa Ever. The 192 hp and top speed of 225 km/h - the Pure Corsa is total driving fun. Corsa OPC world premiere in Geneva. Opel has shifted into top gear with the new Corsa. Following the successful market launch of the bestseller's fourth generation, Opel now sends the sporty top version on to the road. The OPC model is the quintessential expression of the Corsa's dynamic character, with top-level agility and vehicle control promising pure driving fun. Its 1.6-liter turbo engine with 141 kW/192 hp accelerates the compact three-door from zero to 100 km/h in 7.2 seconds and enables a top speed of 225 km/h. The maximum torque of 230 Nm, which can be temporarily increased to over 260 Nm via an 'overboost' function, is delivered to the front wheels by the standard six-speed transmission. This level of performance provides the newest member of the sporty OPC family with superb propulsion power in all driving situations. For instance, accelerating from 80 to 120 km/h takes just 6.7 seconds in fifth gear. The Corsa OPC requires 7.9 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers, a moderate figure in this performance class. It makes its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show in early March, shortly before its market launch.

The top-of-the-line Corsa's look also reflects pure sportiness. The roof spoiler, as well as the powerful front and rear aprons with distinctive gill-like air intakes and outlets make the OPC a real eye-catcher. Elements such as the darkly contrasting diffuser with integrated, centrally located triangular tailpipe and specially designed exterior mirrors are just a few examples of how much attention to detail was put into further developing the Corsa's bold, sporty character.

The Corsa OPC's chassis has a unique, even sportier character thanks to extensive modifications. Through intensive tuning drives on the N¼rburgring Nordschleife, engineers were able to achieve a sophisticated balance of agile handling and pronounced vehicle control. Key modifications include a stronger rear axle profile and adjusted torsion beam rear axle weld-in angle, new spring/dampener tuning, lowering of the chassis by 10 mm and a larger stabilizer. The standard ESP system, which can be deactivated, has also been tuned to the car's sporty character. The new Corsa OPC comes with 17-inch alloy wheels with 215/45 R17 tires ex works, while 18-inch rims and size 225 tires are available as an option. The large 16-inch brake system with blue painted brake calipers ensures powerful deceleration: the Corsa OPC boasts internally ventilated, 308 mm front disk brakes and 264 mm disk brakes at the rear.

Sportiness also dominates the Corsa OPC's cockpit. In addition to the typical OPC door sills, chrome-ringed instruments with red pointers and blue-ringed air vents (also available in silver), the flat-bottomed leather sports steering wheel is especially eye-catching. Also reminiscent of motor sport vehicles, the steering wheel features a blue (or optionally silver) ring at its crown, while the center console in piano lacquer finish and aluminum pedals underline the sporty, high quality ambience. Particularly striking are the newly developed Recaro sports seats with integrated head restraints. The race-car-like seats protect both the driver and front passenger with integrated side airbags ˆ’ a world premiere for this type of seat.

The introduction of the Corsa expands Opel's OPC program to five model lines. The top-of-the-line Vectra OPC with 206 kW/280 hp is available as a sedan or station wagon. The Zafira OPC ˆ’ the fastest production van in the world with a top speed of 231 km/h ˆ’ and the Astra OPC both have a 177 kW/240 hp, two-liter turbo engine. The Meriva OPC is powered by an engine similar to that of the Corsa OPC: with 132 kW/180 hp and a top speed of over 220 km/h, the versatile five-seater is unique in the minivan segment.

The OPC models embody pure sportiness, infusing the brand with emotion and passion. That is why the OPC version fits brilliantly to the new Corsa, which is positioned as a young car offering plenty of fun, says Alain Visser, Executive Director, European Opel Marketing.

Or the Astra Twintop 2.0 Turbo
Delta wrote:2.0
Cosmo
Dimensions - mm
Overall Length 4476
Overall width - with mirrors extended / with mirrors retracted 2021/1831
Overall height 1411
Wheelbase 2614
Track width, front 1488
Track width, rear 1481
GCM 3230
Luggage capacity (L) - Boot with roof open 205
Luggage capacity (L) - Boot with roof closed 440
GVM 2030
Payload (Kg) 350
Cosmo
Engine
Size / Type 2.0 LER
Cylinder Head 16V DOHC
Power - kW @ r/min 147@5400
Torque - Nm @ r/min 262@4200
Capacity - cm3 1998
Compression ratio 8.8:1
Cylinders 4
Cosmo
Transmission
6-speed, manual, wide ratio x
5-speed, manual, close ratio
Cosmo
Performance
Acceleration 0-100 (secs) 8.9
Max speed (km/h) 237
Fuel index (litres/100km) (urban / extra urban / total) 13.3/7.3/9.5
Tank range 584
Tank capacity 52
Cosmo
Wheels and Tyres
Rim Size 18 x 7.5, 11 spoke
Wheel type Alloy
Tyre Size 225 / 40 R18
Space saver spare wheel x
Deflation Detection System x
Cosmo
Chassis
Switch sport mode x
Electronic Stability Programme (ESP Plus) x
Park Assist Rear x
Hill Start Assist x
Sport suspension x
Cosmo
Brakes
Disc brakes front & rear x
ABS x
Brake Assist x
Electronic brake distribution x
Cornering Brake Control x
Cosmo
Steering
Power Steering x
Steering column - reach adjustable x
Steering column - height adjustable x
Cosmo
Warranty and Service
Warranty (Yrs / Kms) 3Yr/100000
Anti corrosion (Yrs) 3
Maintenance (M)/Service Plan (S) M5Yr/100000km
Image[/quote]
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

neon_chameleon wrote:Hey Acidkidsa, your choices are exactly the same as mine. Also looking for a new car in that range.

I went to the car show and there's really only two cars to choose from for me, the Honda Civic Vxi 2008 Hatch (Cherry Red) or the Subaru Impreza 2.0R 2008 (Metallic Blue).

Just can't let go of my car I love so much though or get the money together. :)
Yeah my current Audi A3 is great as well. Will be sad to see it go. Never gave me problems(only the delership did) .

Seem we were both looking at the exact cars then...
Still prefer the Honda though !!

@ Spicy-McHaggis

A relative of mine test drove the new Corsa OPC. He said it is a awesome car. The only thing I dont like is its so small. Opel is not really my kind of car anyways

I wont feel to safe in that car.

I think that car is more for younger people.

I have had a Opel , Golf , x 2 Audi's.

I looked at nearly every car out there. And Honda got me.

Even if its not the Type-R the normal civic will do...
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Well the Type-R is awesome, but it's R269 000, that is too much to pay. If you spending that much you might as well get a Merc or BMW.

I'm also leaning towards the Civic Hatch 1.8 VXi. I love the Impreza but the Honda in terms of interior design, gadgets and features - just owns, but then again one will never have the power and handling like the Impreza does, nothing beats it.

I still want the WRX STi one day. :)

Let us know what you decide on. How soon you considering purchasing the new vehicle.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
naughty

Post by naughty »

I like naturally aspirated engine...
its that normally aspirated engine that causes the most criticism of this car (civic type R) - you have to be revving it very high to get it to perform - and remember the heavier your foot - the heavier the gas bill - the torque peak on the car is too high for economical motoring - and getting a track day special isnt all that great for a daily driving machine IMHO

which is why these smaller engined but boosted cars make a tad slight bit more sense - yeah the car can be economical - but to drive it in a manner you enjoy it you would have to be revving it high and stretching the gears a bit since it comes alive at its limit of around 8000RPM - and yes it has killer performance - but are you gonna be driving like that all the time - TBH i would get tired of it very quickly

my brother has a civic sedan - ive driven it a few times but i cant get comfortable in it - he is very tall and im very short - so he finds it perfect - but for me its kind of a nowhere car - i suppose im too used to other brands of vehicles to actually enjoy the car
Looks like the Ford St are becoming as common as the GTI's
looking at logically - the more popular a car is then there has to be a reason for it - if it isnt common or popular then there will also be a reason for that too - and if it isnt common - imagine trying to source parts for it in 4 or 5 years time (if you dont change the car by then) - i dont bother about the fact that every second person will be driving the same car as me if it comes to that - the only downside to popular is it makes it more theftworthy as people create a huge demand for accessories as they try to upgrade on the cheap - and what better way to get parts than to just steal a car

nowadays though most cars are similar in terms of functionality etc i suppose though the driving force (pun intended :P ) with current fuel pricing should actually be how economical the car is cos even rich guys are feeling a pinch when it comes to fuel pricing - people are going about less in their cars now than they previously did - and that to me as a car enthusiast is a shame
I still want the WRX STi one day
well that performs well - but its an ugly beast IMHO and also its a track day special too - even though lots of people drive those things they probably are cosseted in luxury and refinement which is why id rather stick to the M3 for a bit more cash outlay for similar performance but far more comfort
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor