Mag repair shop in pta?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Friggs

Mag repair shop in pta?

Post by Friggs »

I was driving down the road on Sunday and managed to hit a brick in the road. It totally destroyed my tyre and also dinged my rim quite badly so can't replace the tyre until I repair the rim.

Does anyone know of any decent places in Pretoria that do mag repairs?
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

mag repairs aren't the best idea. It might not be the cheapest but a replacement is always the best alternative.

Why you ask.

My father works at Toyota, he drives a Megane cc 2.0. It has low profile tyres on its 4 mags. Each tyre costs R2800, each mag costs R1600. He has had to replace 3 sets (tyre and mag) due to pot holes. Why doesn't he get these repaired? Because the wheel is never the same after a repair. The tollerances of these wheels cannot be guaranteed after a repair. aka its not a wise nor safe idea.

PS. My dad's job is to understand tyres and wheels and purchase them for Toyota. Just remember that your wheels/tyres/brakes are not the things you want to go cheap on.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

for sure, I see what you are saying but the ding is only just enough to possibly cause a problem if the tyre pressure drops to low so from what the guys at supa quick told me it should be a small repair. I'm planning on buying a new vehicle in about 3 weeks so really don't want to spend money on this thing, as little as possible.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

okay, as long as you aware of the short falls and if its as minor as you say then go ahead.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

no for sure, appreciate the info.