The Death of Animax ?

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

The Death of Animax ?

Post by larch »

There was loads of excitement and hype generated surrounding the Animax channel, South Africa’s first dedicated Anime channel. But after 3 months Animax has turned into a disappointment and a joke. The writing was already on the wall within the first week of Animax broadcasting in South Africa, there was a brilliant screw up of epic proportions when we got to watch the very first episode of Gundam Seed followed the very next day by the last episode.

To make matters even worse all the shows currently showing on Animax has been re run at least 9 times already, (With the exception of the shorter shows, hell I might be wrong it could be more already.) why don't they removes some of the older shows already and replace it with a new show.? Surely it is possible if you go and check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pr ... _by_Animax you will notice that they have more than a 120 high quality shows currently broadcasting around the world. How they can keep on re running these shows are beyond me, don't get me wrong some of these shows are really awesome but when you can recall the dialog from Eureka 7 out of you head then there is something seriously wrong with the channel programming.

And how do they determine the episode order of the Anime titles, do they throw a dice or is it something a bit more complicated like rock, paper scissors.? It is really disconcerting when watching a Anime titles and the very next day you get shown a total different episode. It kind off defeats the point of watching a series if you cant watch it in chronological order.

And don't even get me started on the horrible Animax adverts for the Anime titles they are showing. They take a cyber thriller like Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex and make it look utterly mediocre using there bad advertising. Why not just use the DVD trailers that you get on the DVD’s itself.

I visited the Animax website: http://www.animaxtv.co.za/ to find a poorly designed site with no actual content and just a schedule of current Anime titles that are showing, which I can get by reading the Dish magazine, and that isn't even a full proof guarantee that I will be watching what was being advertised.

Is it a lack of planning or bad management by Dstv. But you kind off start to expect these kind off things from South African media broadcasting companies. Did they see a gap in the market and decided to cash on in it while they could. If you visit the Dstv Forum`s: http://www.dstv.com/gysmm/forum/threadV ... ch=&Id=132 you will also noticed the trend from being totally excited about the arrival of Animax to the disappointment with the current re runs and content of the channel. And I am not the only one discontent with the current offerings on Animax most forums and blogs like Shadowfox blog: http://www.quantumworx.co.za/blog/index ... th-animax/ also shows the current dissatisfaction with the programming.
And yes I did predict this would happen but everyone was so hyped about this great development in the South African Anime community that, they were blinded by some of the factors that needs to be taken into consideration.

Supply and demand Dstv is a business they pay millions per channel if they don't see it making a profit they replace it with other channel like Action X replaced Sci-Fi. And Sci-fi was running for a good 2 years without it making any type of profit. To make any type of profit on a channel there should be advertisements shown, and Animax does not have that. And we all know what happened the the Sci-Fi channel.

There are already 2 channels that have animated shows on Dstv namely GO and Cartoon network. Yes I know it’s not anime but its animated and thats how most people will view it who do not watch anime. So its going to be in direct "competition" with the other channels. And they have been running for way longer. So 3 channels that are indirectly running against each other, and considering the content of the other 2 channels and the programming Animax doesn't really stand a chance.

And let’s face it the big Anime fans wont event bother with some of the stuff that will be shown because: A. All the current Anime that is showing is dubbed and we all know what some people think about dubbed Anime. B. Most of the stuff that will be shown the hardcore fans would have already have seen ages ago.

And let us be honest even all the new fans to Anime would be scared off by the bad programming and endless re runs of Anime. You can only re watch an Anime show many times before it gets boring. So in the end its a catch 22 situation for the Animax channel.

In the end I think Animax is hurting the local Anime community more than it is helping it, is this the death of Animax. ?

Sort out your sig size before you put it bac! Lance

Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

well I wouldn't be surprised if it is... these re-runs are absolutely killing me, and not to mention the confusion of weekend showings...

maybe we lucky and it is only due to it starting here by us and that they still have to work some stuff out...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Too bad...

OT: Larch, your sig is WAY oversize... ;)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

DarkRanger wrote:Larch, your sig is WAY oversize... ;)
Indeed.

Please downsize it.

But ya, Animax is a steaming turd of a channel.

I'd rather watch one of those religious channels. If only someone would dub all the stuff those televangelists like Creflo Dollar and Benny Hinn shout into English. I'm sure it would be way more interesting than watching an Episode of Samurai 7 for the 43rd time in a month!

I watched Animax for all of 3 hours during the first week of it's release and then gave up in disgust!
Thanks for northing DSTV - oh well - at least you tried.
Last edited by hamin_aus on 03 Mar 2008, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Zana

Sad

Post by Zana »

Well I loved the sci-fi channel, they used to have hentai-based anime late at night, and was wondering if Animax was going to do the same (since i am a sensual being).. anywayI Have been disapointed with the re-runs and repeats and not much new content being added. The SA Animax channel looks dreadfull and the site should have been launched properly done before the launch of the channel... but It makes me angry to see myself looking for work, and cant get a job , and then seeing an incomplete official site.. even the DSTV website is badly designed , even in there magazine I saw a small write up on one anime part,.... shocking here it is."
For Black Lagoon on page 21 : Series Starting This month
"Okajima Rokuro is on a mission to Borneo when members of the Black Lagoon, who are looking for the disk Rukuro is carryingm capture him"...

It is sad to see that my anime reliance is on Animax, and its not a proper Anime broadcast, like many channels, I have heard if you can get specific satelite braudcast recieving software on your PC , connect your PC to your dish, and you can see what the TRUE channels are broadcasting, and DSTV is only rebroadcasting old stuff, looping it etc... SABC ios worse.... But DSTV supposed to be recieving ""live" content and dirstributing it to its customers. Yup I was big fan of the sci-fi channel, it was the only channel I watched on DSTV for entertainment. Since i cant stand watching dramas and soaps , since i have to much of it in real life as it is...
Love and hugs
Danielle
But it is sad that DSTV is killing Animax... like they doing with Cartoon netwrok, etc... so they can introduce a mnet type similarity...
I
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

@ larch, i seem to remember reading a post that was very similar, if not identicle to this on your blog :P
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
larch

Post by larch »

DJT wrote:@ larch, i seem to remember reading a post that was very similar, if not identicle to this on your blog :P
Hahah cause it is from my blog :P